It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: How do you know MS is progressing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worryanx View Post
Regarding diet, is there anything you think we should stay away from? or eat more of? He really loves cooking and eating so this is a delicate subject for him.
Much of this really depends on him. I try to stay on a low fat diet that provides good nutrition and low sugar. I avoid beef and processed meats which are inflammatory. You should also avoid any dark meats from fowl. Tomatoes are within the inflammatory foods, but I have not given up on them. I mainly use the tomatoes in salsa and cooking. For me, I gave up some foods because they caused me to choke. I do not think you have to be dogmatic about the approach to a new diet. I would encourage him to read about low fat and rich omega diets. I would also encourage him to keep a journal of symptoms and diet. He may find certain foods that will trigger a problem.

Your MS Society office might have some books or recommended diet books for you.

I have also found that drinking ice cold water has helped me not to choke. Still there are foods that I can no longer enjoy. Fortunately, dark chocolate is not one of them!! I use it to treat certain MS headaches which cycle through.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
(female)

worryanx HB User

I am thankful for your input and encouraging words. Why is it that red meat is not so good? we eat it all the time! I was thinking of switching to more of an oriental diet - it will make it interesting for us and it might be a healthier option. I was trying to get an intollerance test done - maybe it would highlight some food to avoid.

Nice to know you are italian - very close to us then! your english is really good!

what about diary products?

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Red meat in general is not good for the heart....if you must eat it, eat very low fat red meat. Certain cuts of steaks are better than others. I eat a ton of Buffalo, which has virtually no fat, no cholesterol. I have to order it to get it, they dont sell it in my local grocery store; but a butcher nearby can get it for me. I buy ground buffalo for hamburgers and meatballs- and I buy buffalo steaks, which taste 100x better than cow to me. I still only eat it the maximum of once a week. I stick with poultry, alot of chicken breasts and turkey filets...and I eat a ton of fish.

Chinese diet is questionable. Stay away from herbs and things which are specific to chinese groceries...you dont know exactly how those things will interrupt the immune system. Also, chinese cooking, especially with soy sauce has a TON of Sodium in it, so be careful of that...again, fine to eat once a week, but Im not sure Id make a mainstay out of it...

Rice- especially whole grain rice is excellent in lieu of potatoes...fiber and less fat in rice.

The greek style of cooking....using olive oil for cooking, eating things with good fats, olives, figs, fish- is especially healthy for anyone...its being more and more recognized in healthy eating...sometimes called the mediteranian diet, you can research that.

Stay well. Its all good. I will be the very first to telll you that Friday night in my house is take out...whether its pizza or cheese steaks- mexican or mcdonalds- I spend one day of the week not caring...and eat right the rest of my week!
Nikki

Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
(female)

worryanx HB User

We will see how it goes, I will keep in touch after our first neuro appointment in two weeks time... hopefully the neuro will have positive feedback for us even though he has had a new lesion on his MRI.

Cheers and happy days to all of you!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
(female)

Athelas HB User

I am newly diagnosed with clinically isolated syndrome, which carries a lot of the weight of MS, without the definitive diagnosis. After all my bloodwork was completed, my neurologist suggested increasing my vitamin D. There are a lot of good properties to adequate vitamin D intake, such as increase in immune function. Thank you everyone for just good information!

The following user gives a hug of support to Athelas:
worryanx (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelas View Post
I am newly diagnosed with clinically isolated syndrome, which carries a lot of the weight of MS, without the definitive diagnosis. After all my bloodwork was completed, my neurologist suggested increasing my vitamin D. There are a lot of good properties to adequate vitamin D intake, such as increase in immune function. Thank you everyone for just good information!
CIS along with your ON will probably become MS as you mentioned other problems in your other thread. ON can be a separate disease if no other symptoms present.

Vitamin D needs to be taken carefully because you can get too much which would not be good. My vitamin D level is not deficient, but because it is low, my neuro told me she would like me to take 1000 iu of vitamin D3 each day. There are different dosages available as well as types. Also, if there is a deficiency it is important to know what your absorption levels are. For example, if you take 5000 iu daily it may or may not be adequate. For me it would be too much, hence I am limited to 1000 iu per day. Your doctor can advise as to your absorption levels.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
(female)

Athelas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
CIS along with your ON will probably become MS as you mentioned other problems in your other thread. ON can be a separate disease if no other symptoms present.

Vitamin D needs to be taken carefully because you can get too much which would not be good. My vitamin D level is not deficient, but because it is low, my neuro told me she would like me to take 1000 iu of vitamin D3 each day. There are different dosages available as well as types. Also, if there is a deficiency it is important to know what your absorption levels are. For example, if you take 5000 iu daily it may or may not be adequate. For me it would be too much, hence I am limited to 1000 iu per day. Your doctor can advise as to your absorption levels.

Thank you for the info. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of MS research is a help or a hindrance. The vision disturbances are the worst part for me, because they disrupt all normal activities. I have been on copaxone for a week and a half. No changes noted yet, just a head/chest cold. Do u find yourself getting colds more frequently?

Last edited by Athelas; 04-08-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athelas View Post
Thank you for the info. Sometimes I wonder if a lot of MS research is a help or a hindrance. The vision disturbances are the worst part for me, because they disrupt all normal activities. I have been on copaxone for a week and a half. No changes noted yet, just a head/chest cold. Do u find yourself getting colds more frequently?
I do not do meds, but if you have only started on Copaxone for a week and a half, you will likely only be feeling the side effects. For me, I rarely get a cold. When I feel a stuffy nose approaching, I will take 3000-9000 mg of Vitamin C (divided into three dosages). After 2-3 days, I stop because I feel better. My immune system is already in overdrive; therefore, I do not need it traveling at ludicrous speed (hat tip to Space Balls ).

Vision problems are probably a hindrance to most MSers. I cycle through vision problems as well as living with my daily light sensitivity. Still, you have to learn to take it all in stride. Always have alternate plans or strategies. If you know in advance what your alternate plan is going to be, you remove a lot of stress out of the situation and, I think, you recover faster.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I also want to add that Copaxone will NOT change your situation at all...its not meant to help with symtoms nor is it supposed to help ones which you already have....
The purpose of any DMD is to prevent progression and stop new symtoms from starting- therefore taking it is like insurance. It doesnt work for everyone and it doesnt work ALL the time, but if it works most of the time, thats better than rolling the dice and having new attacks!

As far as colds go; MSers do not get sick any more often than "healthy" people, however our immune systems ARE compromised...therefore, we may pick up something from exposure which someone else might not get.....I work in a hospital setting and am around terminally ill patients all day long. I can honestly tell you im healthier than they are!! I take a drug called Low Dose Naltrexone and I never get sick, this drug is used quite a bit in Europe to stabilize the immune system. I havent been sick in the last year since I started taking it. ITs worth talking to your doctor about however it is not approved in the US for MS.....you really have to do your homework and research if you want your doctor to give it to you!

Anyway, good luck on the Copaxone. It will take up towards 6 months before it really starts working....and during the next few months you may not feel 100% simply because your body is getting used to a new drug in your system...but once you get used to it, you hopefully will not relapse or have new symtoms develop. Best to you.
Nikki

Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
(female)

Athelas HB User

Thank you Nikki. I too work in a hospital setting, surgery actually. For years I haven't gotten really sick, except in the last year. I wish thee was an "insurance" drug that had a better selling point then, " you may not progress." However, I am glad that getting colds lately may just be a fluke.

Thank you JayHawk, ludicrous speed these days in any form are no longer possible. I used to have more energy then everyone else at work, alas, finishing an eight hour day is a struggle. I have noticed that if I am assisting in surgery and staying in one place, my eyes do not bother me. I went from 20/20 to 20/30 in just a few months. Anti glare coated glasses seem to help. I will learn to ,and better plans and adjustments.

Closed Thread

Tags
avonex, help asap, lesion, mri