It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
(male)

cg50in HB User
Shingles and MS

Any idea if there is cause and effect with MS and shingles since it is nerve related (Dermatomes). One problem with MS is you think every health issue you get is related. Any thoughts

TIA

Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Shingles and MS

There is absolutely no cause and effect of shingles and MS if you are wondering can a person with MS wind up with Shingles....Shingles, is the chicken pox virus and you absolutely need to be exposed to it, to get it. A person with or without MS will get shingles if they are not vaccinated against it and are exposed to it....

That being said, there have been zillions of studies over the years that people who have viruses at a younger age (Shingles only happens in later age) but Chicken pox, Epstein Barr, Mono, etc, which we can get in our childhood or late teens MAY OR MAY NOT result in MS later in life....no one has proved it. You can read about thousands of arguments either way. I also read an argument that being stung by a bee can give you MS, so there isnt alot of credence in these studies... but never the lesss, depending on who you listen to or which side you decide to lean towards, there may be some evidence that these viruses earlier in life, may predispose a person towards either auto-immune dieseases in general, or more specfically MS...but having MS, I promise, will not result in Shingles- not without direct exposure..

Hope this helps???
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg50in View Post
Any idea if there is cause and effect with MS and shingles since it is nerve related (Dermatomes). One problem with MS is you think every health issue you get is related. Any thoughts

TIA
Added to what Nikki has pointed out, you will find that as you live with your MS that you will see fads come and go. When I was first dx, I was told that fillings contained mercury which caused MS. For me, I had no fillings. Even today, this "theory" continues to be recycled.

If you have a compromised immune system, shingles might be more susceptible- or not. I have found that since my MS has worsened, I have fewer other complaints, but I am not 100% immune to them. I will still get a cold, albeit the time between colds is quite long. Is it because my immune system is in warp speed? No one can really know due to the wildly varying effect MS has on each person.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
(male)

cg50in HB User

Thanks for your responses to my stupid question. Its just so easy to blame everything on MS

Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
(female)

Gullyabb HB UserGullyabb HB UserGullyabb HB User

There are no stupid questions.... Information is power, so keep asking.
Have a good day.

Gully

Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg50in View Post
Thanks for your responses to my stupid question. Its just so easy to blame everything on MS
When MS first strikes, many questions, such as yours, come to mind and you question the causes of MS. After over 400 years of MS, the world has yet to be able to answer our questions.

Doubts may persist as to what we could have done differently and these doubts can cause feelings of guilt when there is nothing we "coulda or shoulda" done.

In our walk with MS, we may need a few years to help us know what is MS and what is not MS. As questions arise, your neuro should be able to help you on your journey as well as seeking answers from other MSers. Our journey is never done and we are not alone on the path we trod upon.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
(male)

cg50in HB User

Theory,
Since the Chicken pox virus Varicella Zoster remains dormant for decades under the Myelin sheath. I am not too sure that MS doesn't activate it as it chews away the myelin. Pain is from my T10 dermatome. Not saying everyone who gets Shingels has MS but sure has me speculating that MS may help to bring it out.
This pain is kick my arse. When I first got the pins and needles precursor I am thinking MS. Had I known Shingles I could have taken some anit viral Valtrex but once I figured out what was going on its too late. Has to be takens within 72 hrs of first symptom.
For some folks who have had Chicken Pox might be worth getting a vaccine. Wished I had.
Got an appointment with my MS doc to review my last MRI so will be an interesting discussion. Also wondering if this virus showed up in my LP since I had 12 bands.

Last edited by cg50in; 03-04-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. you seem to be alittle confused. The shingles vaccine isnt recommended for anyone under the age of 59.

As far as shingles, it DOES present in a horrible nerve related way; however its not the same as MS nerve pain. In fact, the drugs used for Shingles, the anti virals you mentioned, will not help MS pain.

There have been studies of people who have had chicken pox or even mono or CFS virus's and they still have not proven that having those viruses will result in getting MS. I for one, never had chicken pox as a child- and am exposed to shingles almost weekly in my job (working in a hospital setting) and have never gotten shingles either...but I definatively have MS. I also do not get vaccinated. I use regular percautions instituted by my job requirements.

Recently a study was done in Taiwan about people who had Shingles- over 100,000 people were studied, less than 10,000 had MS. Thats a very small amount.

I think that when you are first dx with MS, you tend to think everything is related and as time goes on, you start to realize you can get one of a million diseases, including chicken pox, shingles, asthma, mono, a common cold or common virus and it has nothing to do with MS. It takes time for you to start realizing that MS doesnt cause other diseases, nor do other diseases cause MS....its normal to worry - but as time goes on you should be more comfortable accepting that this isnt always the case. Please talk to your doctor about your concerns and allow them to ease your fears.....

Good luck at your appointment!
Nikki

Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
(male)

cg50in HB User

Guess I wasn't clear. My pain is from Shingles not from MS. You mention of 100,000 Shingles patients 10,000 had ms. 10% seems very very high compared to a normal population especially Taiwan. Taiwan is also one of the lower incident areas if you look at the epidemeoligy map. That to me seems like a strong correlation.
Thanks for your response. BTW I am also going to talk to neuro about LDN.
I am not taking DMDs yet.

Cheers

Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

You will be stretched to find a neurologist who willl prescribe LDN for you. Very few will do so as it is not an FDA approved drug for the treatment of MS in the United States.

I took Rebif for more than 5 years before it backfired on me and I developed antibodies to Interferon- the results were devastating to me. I happened to be traveling out of the country when I ran into a LDN group advocating for MS awareness when I really took an interest in what LDN could do for me. Ive been on it just under a year now and feel terrific. If you are really intersted, you should read about Skips Pharmacy in Boca Raton Florida and the information which he provides can help you to make your argument to your doctor. Dr. Skip is probably the most knowledgeable person I have spoken to about the effects of LDN and MS.

With his help, I was able to convince my neuro to allow me to try it and Im glad I did. I am not a candidate for the existing drugs~ Im allergic to Copaxone and all Interferons are now out of the question. I will not subject myself to Tysabri, nor will I try Gilenya for personal reasons. LDN is oral, once a night, and works for me.

The pain you describe from Shingles is common...as with all neuropathic pain - each disease, be it shingles, diabetes, or MS, the pain is similar in nature, but different in origin. Statistically speaking you are correct, I only used Taiwan as an example because it has an overall low population of MS...(Taiwan has a much higher population of Devics disease, which is very similar to MS, but ONLY effects the optical nerve and the eyes). If you look at the relationship between shingles and MS worldwide, the statistics are actually even lower. Having Shingles, is not related to MS and vice versa; however did having the virus in one's body initially, as a young child , make us more suceptible to developing the disease later in life, is a study which in our lifetime may never result in conclusive answers. Its being studied all across the world and no one has yet to conclusively get an answer. I will add though, be careful of what you read and where you read it. Just because the Internet says so, doesnt make it true. There is no one monitoring the Internet and anyone can make any claim on such~ be sure that whatever you are reading can be verified by a medical source before you assume the info is correct.

Id be curious to hear what your Neuro says about LDN....and give Dr Skip a shout...hes very helpful.

Nikki

Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Are you in Taiwan? I ask because my original neuro moved back to Taiwan. Last I heard he was in charge of healthcare in Taiwan- Dr. Lai.

Closed Thread