It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
(male)

lsuman HB User
What could this numb spot on my face be caused by?

It is not the complete side of my face. It is a little spot about the size of a dime size. It is left of my lips but about the same height. I was worried it was Multiple scoliosis so I went to the doctor. He told me that it wasn't MS but did no test to determine that. He said he thinks it was nerve damage or anxiety. The numbness comes and goes probably 2 times a week and last a few hours. It happened one time when I was 18 and ,now 21, happens about 2 times a week. I also have been having neck discomfort. I am worried a great deal. My parents think I am just going crazy. Any ideas or tips? How can I know that this is not caused by MS?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: What could this numb spot on my face be caused by?

Nerve pain like you describe is NOT a symtom of MS....MS neuropathy is caused by an attack on a nerve which is part of the central nervous system and usually affects limbs, not spots on the body. Also, it doesnt come and go the way you describe. I think you are safe from MS...

It can be caused by a tooth problem, from anxiety, from a pinched nerve in your neck....these are all things which can be ruled out by a CT scan and sometimes, in the case of the mouth, an Xray..

Anxiety can cause these random things to happen off and on. Stop searching numbness and looking for answers and if it continues, go back to your doctor and ask him to either find out what is causing it, or refer you to someone who will...But I have to say, Id take MS off your list of things to worry about. MS doesnt start with a numb spot which comes and goes...

I hope you get answers!
Nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 04-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
(male)

lsuman HB User

Thank you so much for the response. Do you think I should go to a neurologist encase it is a non MS issue or would that be a waste?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

If the spot has not returned to normal or if you have an infection which presents with a fever, there should be no cause to see the doctor. If it is caused by a tooth problem, perhaps a dental or an oral surgeon would be the best place to start.

Anxiety can cause symptoms to appear. A neurologist would likely be "overkill" unless you start developing additional problems.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
(male)

lsuman HB User

This is great news. My doctor did not seemed to be worried about at all but he didn't explain why at all lol. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

No worries. Rest well!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
lsuman (04-11-2012)
Closed Thread