It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

gillila HB Usergillila HB User
Cipro and MS

If this is a duplicate post I apologize. When I tried to post the first time, it locked up - when I refreshed, it disappeared (so it either posted, or deleted)

I noticed a recent thread that commented on Cipro. I was just diagnosed one year ago, but looking back i've had symptoms come and go since 1994 at least...

About 4 years ago, i was prescribed Cipro for an infection (don't remember what it was specifically) and i went numb from my chest to my knees! I switched antibiotics and it cleared up in a few weeks. Since then, i've been telling doctors the my only allergy is to Cipro. When i told my neuro this (at my initial appt) she seemed concerned, and i was surprised by her response.

Has anyone out there had similar reactions to Cipro? It never even crossed my mind that it had anything to do with MS.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Cipro and MS

Cipro has a reputation for causing joint swelling in many patients, which is why it is not recommended for MSers. If you happen to be one of the people whos joints swell, the un-do pressure can cause the nerves to be compressed and thus cause what you described- numbness and tingling.

Cipro is one of the drugs used to treat Anthrax and some very serious infections which 'regular" antibiotics dont always treat. MRSA is sometimes treated with Cipro. Also called Proquin, Cipro is not usually used as a first line of defense Antibiotic.

There is no reason why you shouldnt take Cipro if you have taken it before without any problems, but it very well may be one which you want to avoid if you have never taken it before or have had an adverse reaction. Saying you are allergic to it, is a good way to avoid having it prescribed! But if you are asked what happens when you take it, you should have an answer prepared! Swelling of the joints is the number one complaint.

Hope this helps.
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
gillila (05-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
(female)

Allbluezoo HB User

I am the one who posted about Cipro. I was prescribed it for an infection and then read the next day that it is not good for MSers. What I read was actually in a book about MS and it was info quoted by a doctor at the MS clinic that I went to about it NOT being a good antibiotic for people diagnosed with MS. I am now also telling the medical community that I'm allergic to it so that I can avoid it. My mom is allergic to it too and she had lip swelling problems in the past so that is the reaction that I will be saying I have too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Allbluezoo For This Useful Post:
gillila (05-22-2012)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
(female)

donsar HB User

Could you please tell me the name of the book and doctor who said that cipro was not a good antibiotic choice for PWMS? Need more info on this - thanks

Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You can talk to your physician about the reasons for Cipro being an unwise choice for MSers. Cipro has properties which can affect the nervous system and its well documented.
You should discuss this with your physician.
Nikki

Reply Reply