It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
(female)

lizziebee74 HB User
It wasn't MS. It was hemiplegic migraines.

Hi all. I haven't been to Health Boards in a while. I just wanted to post about hemiplegic migraines. After 4 years of symptoms that mimicked MS and multiple clean MRIs including an ocular MRI, I was diagnosed with hemiplegic migraines.

My migraine cycles can last for weeks. I've lost use of my hand and had all sorts of visual, speech, and cognitive problems, numbness, tingling, loss of balance and coordination, and most recently extreme vertigo, etc. Head pain is not consistently present with all these symptoms. Oh and my face goes slack on one side, always.

Basically the symptoms mimic a stroke but they began subtly and have gotten worse with time.

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: It wasn't MS. It was hemiplegic migraines.

hello Liz.
Thank you so much for letting us know and sharing your story. Im sorry that you are still going through any sort of discomfort, but having an answer has to be a relief! Once again, we talk about how MS mimics 400 other diseases and not everything is MS; and you proved it!

I do not know much about this type of migrane; however Im assuming there is something they can do to either keep them away, or treat them now that they are identified. I hope this new knowledge brings you peace and many happier days ahead! Be well.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I am sorry to hear you are dealing with hemiplegic migraines. Thank you for your update.
The three genes are linked with hemiplegic migraine: CACNA1A, ATP1A2, and SCN1A genes. Most people with hemiplegic migraine have inherited the gene mutation from one parent who also had the condition. Do you know if someone in your family has had this?

I realize that the treatments are still debated, but I do know that triptans are to be avoided. Did your doctor prescribe anticonvulsant medication or a calcium channel blocker as a preventative treatment?

I am happy you know what you are dealing with and I will keep you in my prayers because your attacks are certainly going to follow you. Again, thanks for sharing.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

BTW, I would encourage you to share your story on the Headaches and Migraines Board on this site. You may be a source of great information for others.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Closed Thread