It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

sara89251 HB User
Mri question help......?

hi, I'm having a brain mri and c-spine mri next week.
The appointment letter said not to eat two hours before, as an injection will be given. I assume this meant the contrast.
So i rang the receptionist to check , she asked my appt time and i said 6.30pm, she said you won't be having an injection because your appt is after 5.00pm. What does she mean by this, i know the reception closes at 5pm but why would this mean i wouldn't have an injection?
I kind of wanted the contrast and i'm worried that if there is something there it won't show. Is it possible that it will still show?

thanks

Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Mri question help......?

Wow, I have never heard of this, but I have not been in NHS. It might be that a qualified person is not on staff to administer the contrast? I really am just thinking because I have never heard of this. I have had an MRI at 23:30 and at 03:00 and I have never experienced your situation.

The contrast is most useful to "light up" active lesions. If you have lesions, they will appear in the images, but active ones will not be highlighted. If you have current symptoms and you need to check for active lesions, call your doctor and ask him about your situation. Better yet, call him any way and let him know what you found out.

I hope it goes well for you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

sara89251 HB User

hi,
thanks for your reply. i know it's very strange I should have asked her what she meant really!
So it will show old lesions then without the contrast is that right ? So if i do have MS, it could still be diagnosed without the contrast?

thanks sara

Last edited by sara89251; 07-05-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

If you have lesions which are old or inactive, they will be seen in the images. You can certainly be diagnosed with MS without the MRI or without the contrast. Before October 1982 all MS diagnoses were without an MRI. Remember, the MRI is only one of the tests used. There are more tests involved in order to get a diagnosis. Print a copy of the Revised McDonald Criteria and this can serve as a checklist. If the doctor gives you a diagnosis based only on an MRI, then you would really need to find another doctor.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
sara89251 (07-05-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
(female)

sara89251 HB User

well thats a relief i thought it wouldn't show without the contrast! I'm really happy that I'm having an MRI at last and I'm closer to getting a diagnosis of Ms (if it is Ms)
yes i will print out a copy of the Mcdonald criteria.
I will let you know the outcome of the MRI.
thanks very much for your help i appreciate it!
sara

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

No worries. I look forward to hearing your news.

Closed Thread