It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
(male)

matrix456 HB User
how expensive are MS meds?

Hello,
I haven't been dx with MS, but with the symptoms I have it's a possibility. One of the issues is that it's highly unlikely that insurance will cover the meds where I live. So my question is how expensive are the MS meds if you have to buy them yourself?

Thnax

Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: how expensive are MS meds?

Matrix,

In the US, the four MS meds, copaxone, Rebif, Avonex and Betaseron run between $5000. and $7000. per month. Each of the manufacturers has a program to help pay for them. None of them charge the patient more than $100 per month maximum as a co-pay. These drugs, you cannot buy at a local pharmacy, you have to get them shipped to you. They send out one months supply at a time.

If you were to look at Tysabri, that MUST be done in an infusion center and its well over $100,000 per year for this drug. Gilenya, the first oral drug is costing about $88,000 per year in the US.

In the US, if a patient doesnt have insurance, we have Medicaid assistance, if you qualify. Its income based. Im not sure what types of medical assistance you have where you live. There has to be something! I know of people in very low income situations who are taking Rebif- and only paying $50 per month on it, because the manufacturer works with their doctor to make sure the patient can get on the drug. You may not have a lot of choices as to what is available, but Im pretty sure one of them will be made available to you and at a reasonable price. Try not to worry about this right now and wait and talk to your doctor. As long as you have a neurologist who has other MS patients, he or she must have a solution for how to get their patients on drugs to control the disease! Dont worry. One step at a time.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

You list Tirana as your city. Is this Tirana, Albania? If so, it would really be difficult to know what med costs are for you there. There are also meds for MSers available in Europe which are not available in the US due to FDA hurdles and trials. I would ask your doctor. Does Albania have a social insurance program? My long-term experience was in Japan and there the social insurance paid for most meds, many were produced under license and cheaper than the US.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
(male)

matrix456 HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I live in Tirana, Albania and here the average salary is in the range of $500-$600 although I make 4-5 times more. Still $5000-$7000 is way too much. I have social insurance, but I don't know how much they can cover. Additionally I have a private health insurance which covers most examinations (x-ray, CT, MRI, etc), but they cover only up to $3000/year for medications which is nothing.

Anyway, probably it's better to take one step at a time...and not worry about the costs for the moment.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I would have to assume that there is a cost adjustment to the medicine in Albania to make it more affordable. I know that when I lived in Japan without the license agreements many of the meds would have been prohibitively expensive. Yes, I think you have to take one step at a time. It is good, however, to look towards possibilities and to be prepared.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
(male)

matrix456 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
I would have to assume that there is a cost adjustment to the medicine in Albania to make it more affordable. I know that when I lived in Japan without the license agreements many of the meds would have been prohibitively expensive. Yes, I think you have to take one step at a time. It is good, however, to look towards possibilities and to be prepared.
Yes, the state covers the costs for some things such as hemodialysis for example, but I have no idea about ms meds

Old 07-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Matrix,
Try not to worry about this. Worrying about this is pointless as there is nothing at this time to worry about! Believe me, the manufacturers of the meds WANT you to take them. They have all sorts of programs in every country to make them affordable for you. It may be on a sliding scale basis, depending on your imcome; however, it will be something you can afford.

Im quite certain that you are not alone in Albania with the possiblity of having MS and that your doctor is familiar with protocol treatment. So, take this off your list of worries and when you see your doctor, youll get the info you need. Heres hoping its not MS anyway!!!!

One day at a time. Youre doing everything right that you can do....try to breathe through this!
nikki

Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
(male)

matrix456 HB User

The medical system here in Albania is a mess, but anyway as you say for the moment is pointless to worry about it.

Thanx a lot for your answers

Closed Thread