It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

Gullyabb HB UserGullyabb HB UserGullyabb HB User
Headache question and update

I wanted to thank all of you, especially JayHawk today.

The weather here has been very warm and I've been spiralling downward emotionally. Last night I had a 'hissy fit' of the yelling screaming kind which I unfortunately directed at my husband. Thankfully our kids are visiting their grandparents and didn't witness it.

This morning I woke up with an excruciating headache. Not as bad as the spinal headache from LP, but no far off. My hubby had left for work, so I was by myself. Thought if I got up and got moving it would get better, not so - almost threw up. After another hour, I thought of the Diet Dr. Pepper comments JayHawk had made. I called my neighbour who came by and brought me some Diet Coke. The headache is still there, but dulled enough for me to be on the laptop.

I found out a couple of weeks ago that despite the optic nerve looking 'fine', I have an enlarged blind spot (scotoma?) in my right eye, which the ophthalmologist has said is typical of ON... Still waiting for the neuro-opthalmologist appointment.

Praying for answers before I do permanent damage to my marriage. He's a good man, but I don't even like being around me when I'm like this.....

Gully

Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

Re: Headache question and update

Oops, guess I didn't ask a question. Just wanted to say thanks, and how grateful I am for this board.

The following user gives a hug of support to Gullyabb:
dogmum (07-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

You are welcome! Thanks for the update. For me, Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi never worked as well as Diet Dr. Pepper. You might try some other caffeine drinks. My neuro asked me if I had tried Mt. Dew which is loaded with caffeine. I had, but it too did not seem to work. I am happy you got some relief even if it just made it tolerable. I hope you can find something that works for you. When you do, let us know!

As I write this, I just finished my dark chocolate and my pain is melting away. It is such a good feeling. Stay strong! And please do not be too hard on yourself. Stay away from the pity parties and you will do well!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Gully,
I think all of us go through some trying times with our spouses when we are dealing with all this...its normal. Hopefully, LOVE will see you through, but in the meantime, you really have to know when you get like this, when to walk away.

All of us have our "quiet time" when we need to be alone and just "be". I made my spare bedroom into a home office when I went back to school...eventually, that home office included a day bed ( a really nice one with a temperpedic mattress!) and then a ceiling fan- and now its looking more like a second bedroom again...except for one thing. ITS MY REFUGE. No one, but the cat is allowed in this room without my permission.

When I feel ultra stressed or really sick, I remove myself, I simply say "I need to go upstairs" and thats what I do. Whether I lay on my bed and pet the cat, or put on soft music, or just sit here and type to you all- I have my space, where I cant offend anyone. I eventually feel better and come back downstairs and just join back into my family world. They have learned after 7 years, when Mom needs to decompress, its better to just let me be.

It takes practice- dont be so hard on yourself- talk to your husband about how this disease affects your tolerance level and sometime you say and do things which just "arent you". Let him know that this is not going to go on forever, but may happen at times, ask him to be supportive and understand. Bet he hugs you and tells you he will try!

Hugs to you...
Nikki

Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks to both of you. The temp here dropped by about 6 degrees outside, so today was better!! Have a good one.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Glad your temperatures have dropped. Weather systems and seasonal changes can male or break us. I hope each day is better and better!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
(female)

deb1125 HB Userdeb1125 HB User

Do headaches become a normal part of somebody with MS? I am not DX, as of right now but today I came down with the worst head ache. If I got up to walk, it hurt, pulsating pain. One thing I noticed, that it may have come from change in atmospheric pressure because it started storming. I recall getting headaches like this when I was younger maybe 3 times, I could not raise my head off the bed without getting that pulsating pain in my head for about 24 hours. But they only happened those few times when I was young and never got them until now. Anyway, long story for short question.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1125 View Post
Do headaches become a normal part of somebody with MS? I am not DX, as of right now but today I came down with the worst head ache. If I got up to walk, it hurt, pulsating pain. One thing I noticed, that it may have come from change in atmospheric pressure because it started storming. I recall getting headaches like this when I was younger maybe 3 times, I could not raise my head off the bed without getting that pulsating pain in my head for about 24 hours. But they only happened those few times when I was young and never got them until now. Anyway, long story for short question.
Your question is nearly impossible to say with certainty. I had severe headaches from the time I was 14 through 21-22 and then nothing until 2002. Since 2002 they are part of my daily life. Each MSer may be different and MS affects each MSer differently. Depending on where my pain is, i have been able to find 3 different solutions which literally melt my pain away. Rather than hijack this thread, if you would like, start a new thread and I can share more.

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 07-19-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: add

Closed Thread