It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Dr. Internet.....

How accurate is Dr. Internet? In 1982 after getting my diagnosis of MS I went to “Dr. Britannica” to learn more about MS. Dr. Britannica was as far from reality as I experienced. It was an invitation to a pity party. The information I read was full of pessimism and many people told me to hang up any career plans. That was then and times have changed. Nowadays we have Dr. Internet. Like my experience with Dr. Britannica, BEWARE!!

While many may believe that the internet has made it easier for us to discover what is wrong when we are sick., new research suggests that using the internet to diagnose illnesses could in fact be a very bad way of getting appropriate medical treatment. It is not limited to MSers or people who believe they have MS.

A recent study by Hong Kong University of Science and Technology has shown that “Dr. Internet” most often results in one of two types of misdiagnosis:

1. self-positivity, where we overestimate the risks of falling prey to an illness, and
2. self-negativity, where the opposite is the case.

The researchers gave college students information on various diseases. They told the students how common they are among the whole population (base rate) and the details of one specific person's health profile (case risk). If that person was a stranger, the test subject would tend to rely on the base rate, using a statistical approach. However if the subject was asked to judge their own risk of exposure to disease, the participants primarily used the case risk. The study reminds people that if they rely on Dr. Internet for medical help, they are limited by their own biases as well as the haphazard nature of the web.

I think that this web site provides information not found in textbooks because MSers are not textbooks. Science wants to break things down and organize them. There is no “textbook” when it comes to MS. It continues to befuddle researchers because the cure is still elusive.

The internet can be a great place to start, but it should be used “gingerly”, I think.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 07-22-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
deb1125 (07-23-2012), dogmum (07-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Dr. Internet.....

Jayhawk,
I cant disagree with your words; however there is also a huge advantage to us having the internet. When a person is faced with a diagnosis, or even a choice of medications, having access to reading both manufacturer's information as well as others personal experiences, is priceless. We all know how important this board is to be able to ask questions and hear other's opinions, when we are in need.

The medical community is verbally staging wars against symtom checkers and are extremely opinionated on laymen, who diagnose themselves....however, I have yet to hear one doctor complain when a patient actually says that they would like to try Medication A vs. medication B based on research. In this respect, MSers are faced with this regularly. 7 years ago, I was handed a bunch of pamphlets and told to figure out which MS med I wanted to be on. I used the internet extensively. 6 years ago, when I was told I had to go med free, I again, found LDN by researching the internet. Now, I find myself once again utilizing this source to familiarize and research myself with both clinical trials, outcomes and efficacy for drugs.

Ive also used the internet to find out about what lab results actually mean as well as drug interractions.

I believe that your point was in using the Internet to diagnosis oneself, which I completely agree is dangerous and not a good idea; but the other side of why we use the internet , can be life saving.

Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
dogmum (07-23-2012)
Closed Thread