It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

lild4 HB User
question about memory

Hi,

I have a question about MS and memory. Recently after a long day I arrived home, had a conversation with my husband had a snack and then drifted off to sleep. I have no memory of this happening. I just remember going to bed and saying to my husband and that's it. I have just had another MRI (following that incident, it was prescheduled) Is this something that is common with Ms

Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: question about memory

Did you say something??

This very well can be MS related. I have found that this happens to me if I am very tired mentally. I have asked my family members to write things down for me that I need to remember. I also have many sticky notes surrounding my computer monitor.

You can do brain exercises which help. There are some video games which are quite specific and university studies have shown these to actually work. My sons both have portable gaming devices and the brain exercise game is designed for them. There are also some apps for smartphones/iphones/ipad etc.

I am reminded of the story of an elderly husband and wife. The husband told his wife he was going to get some ice cream. She said "please get me some Rocky Road". When the husband returned, he had bagels- cinnamon and raisin. His wife was angry and told him "you always forget, I told you I wanted blueberry! Laugh it off and enjoy another day.

It sounds to me like you were exhausted. You should also remember that our short term memory needs to be replayed in our heads before it is saved in our long term memory. Your nap could have interrupted the memory transfer and your short term memory was wiped clean. You are not alone in this!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

lild4 HB User

Thanks for the reply and the story. This is the first time that this has happened to me. Usually if I forget something it is only for a short while and then I recall the information. I have to admit this has me a little shaken. I'm only in my late 40's. I will try move on from this situation

Take care

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I just hit 49 recently. I think that my memory has been helped with brain exercises. You may want to make note of this and discuss it with your doctor if it becomes a regular happening. It could be a non-MS issue for you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
(female)

Rranea HB User

Memory has always been an issue me. For as long as I can remember, family members would tell stories and I thought they were making it all up. When it happened with more family members I knew it was me. Then after my dx of MS everything made so much more sense. Although it sucks, knowing the cause of it somehow helps.
I also see an increase in memory issue when I am overwhelmed. Especially now with relocating and adjusting to the meds. I just keep telling myself "One day at a time" and thank god I have a family that laughs with me.

Closed Thread