It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
(male)

matrix456 HB User
Re: Another question... sorry for bothering

Just a quick update...

I came back from about 2 hours of hiking in the mountains. I had no real trouble, even though all the time the sensation of weakness in my left leg was there.

My own non-professional and subjective interpretation is that the nerves that are responsible for the muscle movements are normal...so the strength is there. The problem is with the sensory nerves send signals to the brain...and in my case the brain is receiving signals that the leg is weak.

Does this even makes sense? If yes, is it a good or bad thing?

Thanx

Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome back. I think you have made some good observations. Now determining what is causing the signals is another thing to figure out.

For me, compared to a regular person, I have large muscle mass which is still strong, but it is weak to me. Interrupted and blocked signals can cause the feeling of weakness or can cause actual weakness due to the signals. This is different than an actual muscle weakness caused by a muscular disease.

Keep up the keen observations!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
(male)

matrix456 HB User

Thanx for your answer. I guess MS can affect both nerves that send signals from tbe brain as well as sesnsory nerves that send signals to the brain, right?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Yes, signals are affected in both directions.

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
Gypsy234 (08-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Gypsy234 (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #20
(female)

Gypsy234 HB User
Re: Another question...sorry for bothering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
There are no "stupid questions". You are most welcome to ask.

Because your legs carry your body weight, your gait is often a noticeable symptom. Yes, arms can be affected through weakness, numbness, and/or coordination. If you use your arms often, you might find that you can get exhausted. I know I did when i was exercising my arms. While I dismissed my leg problems for 5 years, it was when I started dropping things- even light objects- from my right hand and then my right arm went numb and then became useless.

If you have MS, you may or may not have arm problems. It really varies between each MSer.

I would allow your anti-anxiety meds to keep working and to enjoy a restful vacation. You may find that this will be quite satisfying.
I am writing this in show of appreciation for all your postings. I was "diagnosed" with MS after a bout of optical neuritis some 12 years ago. Given steriod eye drops sight in my right eye returned in about 3-4 months. My DEEP concern is now with my daughter. She is 27 years of age, and began the dizzies, numbness of the right side of her mouth & throat. We took her 2 the emergency room where they gave her a CAT scan. Of course it came back normal. Having no health insurance, we have been knocking on doors until our knuckles bled, when she finally got an appointment with a neurologist. She was given and MRI w & w/o contrast of brain & spinal chord. To date they have discovered only one lesion in the center of her brain, none on her spinal cord. She has seen a neurosurgeon ( neurologist suggestion) & they have ruled out brain tumor. The neuro is labeling her case as a "unique" one as she only has one lesion, not MULTIPLE lesions required for a definite diagnosis of "MS". The dizzies have gone away, her inner mouth & throat have gotten feeling back and she can taste again, However she is now experiencing "jelliness" & weakness in her right leg & constant feeling that her hands & forearms are "wet". They finally gave her a 3-day steroid drip cycle (ended 2 days ago). So far no outstanding results.
I also have one lesion on the lower left of my brain. Seems like my "little girl" has become more syptomatic than I ever was. They want 2 give her a spinal tap, but at this time it is not financially possible, and we honestly think not necessary (at this time) as there were no lesions on spine.
She is a hairstylist by trade and has been going to work everyday, but her syptoms (dragging of right left & sometimes unable to hold blowdryer steady) is making this all the more difficult. She has another appointment with neuro this wednesday.
My concern is could it be that due to it taking 2 months to get that steroid IV be the reason this has magnified symptoms? I told her she has to give it some time, but when she asked me how long I hadn't a clue. My heart breaks for her and I feel helpless in this situation. I have been a single mom for many years & this is the first time I have not been able to use "mommy magic" and make it better. Please don't misunderstand, she's a tough young lady (alot like me) and I've advised her not to surcome to the disease as I never did, but my case seems mild compared to hers. Any input in this situation would be greatly appreciated. Wishing you all of life's blessings and good tidings!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
Facilitator
(male)

Re: Another question...sorry for bothering

You are welcome, Gypsy234. I answered your other thread.

Closed Thread