It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
New tick-borne virus to screen.

Fellow MSers and those in Limbo land, a new tick borne virus should be screened, especially for those in limbo land. The new virus is called the ‘Heartland virus’ according to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Symptoms were high fever, fatigue, diarrhea and loss of appetite, and memory problems. The new virus' closest relative is another tick-borne phlebovirus, called severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome (SFTS) virus, which was identified last year in China, and causes death in 12 per cent of cases.

Another possible relative may be Bhanja virus, a rare condition that has been found in some mammals, birds and reptiles in Asia, Africa and Europe.

Be strong Be vigilante!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: New tick-borne virus to screen.

Although I do think its a good idea to point out that not everything is MS; I also think its a good time to remind everyone that MS is diagnosed by ruling out all other diseases. There is no definitive MS protocol for diagnosing MS and the McDonald criteria is only used as a guideline to begin procedures for testing. To date I know of several MSers who were dx with MS by following the McDonald criteria, only to find out they had not had MS to begin with; but Chiari Malformation and/ or Lymes Disease.

The Heartland Tick has only been known to cause two deaths at this time. This would not be a standard illness to rule out in most parts of the country; however it IS worth speaking to a doctor about if you are having any of the symptoms or live in the Heartland area and are at higher risk for tick bites.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread