It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

Pemberley HB User
Newly Diagnosed & have ?'s about Copaxone

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with MS this summer and just started Copaxone on Thursday of this week. I have had 3 injections so far. The first one I did into my left side of my abdomen (with the nurse watching), the second one into my left rear hip, and then last night into my right thigh. The only reaction I have had when getting these shots is a bee-sting feeling that lasts about 5-10 minutes and then goes away. However, yesterday (before the 3rd shot) I felt as though the muscles in my left leg ached. It feels kind of like your muscles do when after doing a new exercise and the next day because of the lactic acid build up your muscles ache. This feeling has continued to feel the same today and is still only in the left leg. It does not affect my walking. Also, I have not had any MS symptoms with my legs. I only have had optic neuritis that eventually cleared up. Could this sore left leg be from the Copaxone since I injected twice on the left side of my body and probably should have switched back and forth between left and right side? Or could this be a new MS symptom? Do Copaxone users get new exacerbations after starting this drug? Should I be worried?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed & have ?'s about Copaxone

Welcome!

DMD's will not stop attacks. If you feel that this may be a new symptom, I would encourage you to check with your neuro. It could be meds related to the injection or it could be a new symptom.

Optic Neuritis alone is considered a disease separate from MS. If ON is all you have had, then until other symptoms present, you are generally categorized as ON and not MS.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 09-02-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: add

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
(female)

Pemberley HB User

Thanks for the response. I was diagnosed with MS because I have more than one lesion in different spots on my brain. I did have some numbness in my hands a few years back that went away that I think they are now attributing to my MS diagnosis too. I don't remember doing any type of activity or new activity to cause this muscle ache that I now have in my leg.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I see. Thanks. Yes the numbness can indeed be MS related. Muscle pain can also be a symptom. You might start with a cold compress on the pain. You can also call the help line for your med. I would also let the neuro know so you are all on the same page.

I experience bone pain as well as muscle pain. the pain, for me, can be a 10/10 level. My only recourse has been my heating pad which literally melts the pain away.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 09-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

MS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemberley View Post
Hi all,
I was diagnosed with MS this summer and just started Copaxone on Thursday of this week. I have had 3 injections so far. The first one I did into my left side of my abdomen (with the nurse watching), the second one into my left rear hip, and then last night into my right thigh. The only reaction I have had when getting these shots is a bee-sting feeling that lasts about 5-10 minutes and then goes away. However, yesterday (before the 3rd shot) I felt as though the muscles in my left leg ached. It feels kind of like your muscles do when after doing a new exercise and the next day because of the lactic acid build up your muscles ache. This feeling has continued to feel the same today and is still only in the left leg. It does not affect my walking. Also, I have not had any MS symptoms with my legs. I only have had optic neuritis that eventually cleared up. Could this sore left leg be from the Copaxone since I injected twice on the left side of my body and probably should have switched back and forth between left and right side? Or could this be a new MS symptom? Do Copaxone users get new exacerbations after starting this drug? Should I be worried?
Pemberly: I was on Copaxone for a few years. It can definitely cause the symptoms you are describing. Now that it has been 24 hours since you injected at that site, you can gently massage the area. You may also want to try a warm compress there as well.

Sometimes the shots are just brutal...it is hit or miss. If you are injecting with the autoinjector, check to be sure that the setting has not changed and you are not injecting too deep. If the reaction happens with the next shot, talk to Shared Solutions about the settings on the injector pen to perhaps make it more shallow.

Hopefully it will not happen again! Good luck with the Copaxone...I loved it.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Copaxone is one of those drugs which is hit or miss in many ways....sometimes, its just a bad shot- as others have said you may have gone too deep or injected into the muscle....or it may be that you arent tolerating it. Drugs like Copaxone can turn on you at any time....you think you are tolerating it, but then develope a reaction to it as it starts to build up in your system.

It does take up to 6 months for Copaxone to reach full efficacy and start to protect you- so having a new symtom isnt probably related to the drug, but the fact that youre body is in MS mode right now... you would want to report this to your docto and your shared solutions nurse as well. You can call Shared Solutions if you want to talk to an oncall nurse, or you should be talking to the one who came to your house regularly for the first few weeks.

I did 3 shots of Copaxone and went into respiratory distress. I was rushed to the hospital and unable to breathe= my reaction was severe and doesnt happen to many people; however, you want to keep an eye on things and make sure that your pain , mild as you describe it, doesnt continue and doesnt reach other areas of your body as you continue injecting.

You do not need to switch sides of the body, you can do all 4 spots on the left side and then all 4 spots on the right, as long as you do not inject into the same spot twice in a row...always give the area a full week before injecting again.

This is new, and it takes some getting used to...Hoping that your next shot goes well and that you tolerate it and do well on it..
keep us posted.
Nikki

Old 09-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

Hi-I' ve been on copaxone for 4 years and 8 months. Can't believe it's been that long already. It sounds to me like you went into the muscle. I rotate my injections by starting from my right arm and work side to side and down. My worst area is the legs. I have hardley any fat on my legs, so I have to be really careful. My injection sites to my legs usually sting pretty bad and I'll get a little knot under the skin, but occassionaly, I hit the muscle and that's a killer! Sometimes it will hurt like h-- for several hours and I will still notice discomfort, or soreness in the muscle, the next day or so. This doesn't happen all the time. Just once in a while. The Copaxone information teaches you to pinch the skin, inject the needle into the skin, let go of the skin and then inject. I can't do this on my legs because of this. I inject at a slight angle and don't let go of the skin when I do my legs. My wife is a nurse and through trial and error, we figured this out. THis helps me avoid injecting into the muscle and getting the pain and muscle ache. I would suggest asking the person that came out to teach you how to do the shot, what to do to avoid this. Hang in there. You'll get used to the daily shots.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
(female)

Pemberley HB User

Thanks everyone for the responses. However, I don't think I did a very good job of explaining myself. I got the muscle ache in my left leg after I had done a total of 2 injections -my stomach and my hip. I was trying to figure out why my left leg hurt after a stomach and hip injection. Then on the third day I injected my right leg with no pain in the right leg. Sorry that I wasn't more clear about my problem. Does anyone who knows Copaxone injections have any answer as to why I still have left leg pain/muscle ache when no injection was given in my left leg? I will also be calling the SS nurse today.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemberley View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. However, I don't think I did a very good job of explaining myself. I got the muscle ache in my left leg after I had done a total of 2 injections -my stomach and my hip. I was trying to figure out why my left leg hurt after a stomach and hip injection. Then on the third day I injected my right leg with no pain in the right leg. Sorry that I wasn't more clear about my problem. Does anyone who knows Copaxone injections have any answer as to why I still have left leg pain/muscle ache when no injection was given in my left leg? I will also be calling the SS nurse today.
It could still be from the left posterior hip injection but do call the nurse just to check. Probably is though since it started before the third shot.

Be careful of your locations (make sure they are within the zones exactly). I have injected outside of the zone just barely and experienced some crazy leg pains for days.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User
Smile Re: Newly Diagnosed & have ?'s about Copaxone

I was just dx this summer also & started my cop axone injections the Thursday before you. I had a similar incident in one of my hips. It has only happened once & I'm pretty sure that I hit the muscle. I hope it doesn't happen again. It hurt! Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
(female)

sandi51 HB User
Just started Copaxone too.

I took my first shot 9/4 and had your same experience.
I do feel better than I have the last copple months - I never had ON - only spacity in leg and numbness in leg and arm. Left side. I hope Copaxone was the right drug for both of us. Do you have any concerns that we should start with rebrif or Tysabri ?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Re: Just started Copaxone too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi51 View Post
I took my first shot 9/4 and had your same experience.
I do feel better than I have the last copple months - I never had ON - only spacity in leg and numbness in leg and arm. Left side. I hope Copaxone was the right drug for both of us. Do you have any concerns that we should start with rebrif or Tysabri ?
I have taken all three. Started with Copaxone. Took it for a number of years with good results. Then, I had progression. With Rebif, I had bone marrow failure, an uncommon reaction, so this precluded me from taking any of the other Interferons. My MS neuro, who is also a neuroimmunologist only uses Tysabri after all others have failed to work.

This is due to the risk of PML. Some other docs use it sooner. The longer you are on Ty, the greater the risk of PML.

She is a researcher in the field is very concerned with safety, so that is the protocol at our center.

The choice is between you and your physician. Copaxone has shown really good efficacy though.

Reply Reply