It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User
Smile Mri Report

Hello, I am a 37 year old married mom of 2. I have been having MS symptoms for years now. I finally have had it with symptoms so I went to a neurologist. My neruologist wants me to get a spinal tap because he said in his opinion I have MS but he is not going to diagnose me with just Mri results. My Mri report reads I have a few small foci and the largest one being 7mm. I feel its due to small vessel disease or a demylinating condition, I recommend further testing due to patients age.
My question is what the heck is small vessel disease and does it have the same symptoms as Ms? Do you think that with the wording on the report that I indeed do have ms? I am scared to death my spinal will come back normal and I will have no explanation for all these symptoms I am having.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB User
Re: Mri Report

Small vessel disease can by due to a number of things, like diabetes, migraines, etc.

Your neurologist will be able to look at the images on the MRI, their location, and determine if it fits the McDonald criteria.

Further testing does not always mean a spinal tap. You may also just have to go for a VEP, which is very useful in supporting the diagnosis of MS. Some 5-10% of MSers have a negative tap. I am one of them.

You may also be given spinal MRIs.

The neurologist will match your physical exam, your history, and your testing to determine diagnosis. Sometimes it just takes a while.

Good luck for a speedy answer...whatever it may be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS22 View Post
Small vessel disease can by due to a number of things, like diabetes, migraines, etc.

Your neurologist will be able to look at the images on the MRI, their location, and determine if it fits the McDonald criteria.

Further testing does not always mean a spinal tap. You may also just have to go for a VEP, which is very useful in supporting the diagnosis of MS. Some 5-10% of MSers have a negative tap. I am one of them.

You may also be given spinal MRIs.

The neurologist will match your physical exam, your history, and your testing to determine diagnosis. Sometimes it just takes a while.

Good luck for a speedy answer...whatever it may be.
Thank you for such a quick reply! I know for sure he wants a spinal tap, I have to call the nurse and schedule it. In the mean time he did give me neurotin and flexaril for the problems I have been having.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

You can get an MS diagnosis without a spinal tap. 15% of MSers who have had a spinal tap have had negative results. The spinal tap is not a specific test for MS nor should it be the decision maker for MS. As MS22 has pointed out, there are other tests which need to be taken. I have had 2 spinal taps, once in 1982 when I was diagnosed and the second in 2012 when my MS worsened. Both of my spinal taps were negative.

There are also a number of disease specific tests which are normally run in order to screen out those diseases which can mimic MS symptoms.

You need not worry about a normal (negative) spinal tap.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

MS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB User

That's good. He probably wants to rule-out other diseases that mimic MS on MRI (Like Lyme). Although it can be ruled out with blood, CSF is more specific.

Be sure to follow the instructions after your tap. I have had a few like MSJayhawk. I always get a spinal headache. Hate them.

Hoping you get answers soon.

If the flexeril doesn't help...ask for baclofen, it is more specific for the skeletal muscles.

Best wishes!

Closed Thread