It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

raden HB Userraden HB User
VEP test and seeing spots

OK- one of the more wierd things just happened... i did not suddenly get up or anything, but flipped my hair back, not whipping my head but just ran my hands thru my hair and i started seeing like 40 bright white spots that blinked and they lasted about 45 seconds I think, even when I blinked they were still there. I did not feel light headed like i was going to pass out and they didn't fade out like when you get up too fast and get light headed... what the heck...

anyway I had just rescheduled the VEP for today at 1:15 and the MRI is Friday... Lord I pray they find some answers...

I am thankful I laughed at this one cause it really is scary to have all this wierd stuff happening... I feel like I am on acid or something and have never done acid!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: VEP test and seeing spots

Never had the eyes do that.

I am glad your VEP was rescheduled. It is a very sensitive test and can help with the diagnostic process. I certainly hope you get some answers soon!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
(female)

OK: i didn't think the VEP test could tell me anything really until it was accompanied by the MRI... but here goes. This dr has had personal experience with two staff members who have MS and uses the VEP testing often.

Results: first off this DR does NOT Dx MS, that being said... my left eye has had the most difficulty... the test measures 3 different brain waves from an electrode on your forehead, one on the temple to the back of the brain another electrode. The test was so messed up I literally came out of the office and went back to the testing room to do the test a second time. It showed the same. My rt eye had 1 normal wave and 2 abnormal. My left eye showed 1 abnormal and 2 did NOT read.

Dr notes: very suspicious, recommend MRI to find plaques in gray matter. W shaped wave from OD (left eye) and possible OS (right eye) indicative of possible MS. -A third page stated- Suspicious for neuro defect.

He went further to say the wave is shaped like a W in which 45% of MSers have so the test would definitely SUPPORT a Dx if the MRI showed anything. He is also very familiar with the neuro I will be seeing also...

well- OK... MRI Friday. Thank you all so much for being on here. Hope this can help someone... I love reading posts on here that helps me think this is all going to be fine... cause no matter what- it will be

Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

In 2002 my VEP resulted in a second MRI which found active lesions on my thoracic spine. The VEP is sensitive enough to show the slightest problem in the CNS.

The VEP will not diagnose MS, BUT it tells the doctor whether there is a problem within your nervous system. This results in a directional push towards MS and may eventually end up with an MS diagnosis.

Believe it or not, your VEP has moved you closer to an answer.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
(female)

Agree- Jayhawk. I think I am just shocked at the amount of information I got out of this test from this dr. He did an excellent job of describing to me the test showing me the graphs, what the waves mean, what is actually going on... its just taken me aback because I thought this test would be like the MRI where the radiologist will give an interpretation or read the MRI but it takes the Neuro to get the overall picture, so I really just expected to not get much info today and it all come together after the MRI when I have the neuro appt. I don't know if I put in the original post, this dr said he would have referred me for an MRI if I did not already have one scheduled so we will see... it does feel like a push toward a possible answer, I think thats where the shock comes in!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

The hardest part of the VEP for me is staying awake and focusing on the red dot!

I am happy you experienced some excellent feedback. This is one aspect I enjoy about my neuro because she enjoys explaining things in detail. I always feel that I have learned something each time I meet her.

If you ever have to file for SSDI, the VEP is one of the required pieces of documentation to get disability approved.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
(female)

That is why I also like this board, I feel like I have learned alot whether I use it for myself or someone else (I actually have a friends mom who has MS although as I am now grown I am not around her really anymore) so this info is useful either way... its always good to be knowledgeable.

I appreciate your knowledge for sure and will keep that SSDI statement in mind, however, I hope that is a LONG way off or never what needs to happen

Thanks so much- will update as soon as I find out something from Friday's MRI. (Hopefully that won't take months!!!)

Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Good. I am looking forward to your next update.

If you ever need to go SSDI- please visit the SSA website and ******** the documents required for MS and only submit the documents required (nothing extra!).

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
raden (09-05-2012)
Reply Reply