It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
(female)

Becky1971 HB User
What can I expect regarding an MRI?

My doctor is insisting I get an MRI, I was very surprised that she mentioned checking for MS. I went to see her for my regular check up, I didn't think any of my symptoms would be mentioned as I had accepted what everyone was saying about anxiety including my new counselor. But the info was passed on to her and she brought it up. I still insisted it was just anxiety, but she did some testing anyways. I was very surprised by the results of a couple of the tests when I was in the office. I had been feeling very much normal (not a hundred percent, but the numbing and all was so much better) for a few days before. So I ended up having an unstable Romberg. And I have a residual decreased sharp vs dull sensation on my right side.

She stated that I may have had a Vascular headache with long term sequelae, she's certain it's not a tumor, which wasn't a concern of mine either because of the symptoms. But she mentioned MS several times, so she much be pretty concerned about that.

SO without having insurance the order has been put in. Is it possible to be turned down because I don't have insurance? If it does happen, is it something that will take awhile? and then what will the experience be like? How long does it take? I'm a bit nervous about the MRI, but not freaked. And I'm not too concerned about MS either, because I find it very unlikely that my husband would have two sisters and his wife diagnosed with MS. It's possible, but I think the odds are pretty high.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: What can I expect regarding an MRI?

Anxiety can be a stand-alone problem but it can also be a "companion" of MS. The MSAA has funding programs for an MRI if you lack insurance.

At a minimum, you would get an MRI of your head and C-spine. Since discovering lesions on my t-spine, all my MRI's with and without contrast are from my head through my T-spine.

You should at the very least have the MRI just to see if there are lesions present.

If you are claustrophobic, you can request a sedative for your MRI. I always fall asleep and they wake me when they inject the dye and again when it is all over.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 09-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

Becky1971 HB User

Thanks!

My counselor and I talked today about whether I could be having both going on, and that anxiety itself over all this could make my physical symptoms worse and all. So she decided against diagnosing the anxiety regarding these symptoms yet as she originally was before I saw my Pcp.

So what does the dye do, because my patient plan specified no dye.

I do have miner issues with tight places, or crowds of people, (Space, not the social aspect of it) so just wondering if it may be worse with the MRI, or likely not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
Anxiety can be a stand-alone problem but it can also be a "companion" of MS. The MSAA has funding programs for an MRI if you lack insurance.

At a minimum, you would get an MRI of your head and C-spine. Since discovering lesions on my t-spine, all my MRI's with and without contrast are from my head through my T-spine.

You should at the very least have the MRI just to see if there are lesions present.

If you are claustrophobic, you can request a sedative for your MRI. I always fall asleep and they wake me when they inject the dye and again when it is all over.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

The contrasting dye is used to "light up" active lesions, though it is not required. If you have minor concerns, no matter how trivial you might think, discuss it with your doctor and the MRI tech. If a problem develops or if you have worries before hand, you can certainly be sedated. I know my first time in an MRI was not without worrying a bit! You are not alone!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Becky1971 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

also, just so you know, there are such things as "open" MRIs. They are much larger and less claustrophobic...DO NOT GET ONE. They are not recommended or looking for brain lesions and many a patient has had a negative MRI in an open MRI, only to have major symtoms down the road and discover MS all along.

The MRI doesnt hurt at all. It is loud! The tech can speak to you from the booth and talk you through it; saying things like "The next sequence will last 2 minutes" . She can also hear you inside in case you need to talk to her between films. Mine, also gives me a squeeze ball, which will shut down the test if necessary and get you out of there! Having had more than 15 of them in the past 8 years, Im not a problem patient, but I do remember the anxiety of my first one. Once you get thru that and know what to expect, I actually fall asleep in the MRI.

If you think you may have problems, ask your doctor to prescribe you one xanax which will take the edge off and remember that once you are on the table, and before they roll you in, close your eyes and keep them closed. If you cant see the machine, you will feel much more secure.

Good luck!
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Becky1971 (09-08-2012)
Reply Reply