It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User
ssdi... loophole? Grip, but wold love advice or input.

ok, so I am 32 & have just been dx w/ MS. I worked from 97-01, stayed home w/ children, and worked from 07-09, became a full time college student (until Monday, cause I can't handle it all). So, I do not meet the work test b/c I have not worked 5 of the last 10 years. I file taxes every year though. And I read that SS uses full-time school as a reason to not pay SSDI cause they say if you can put in 30-40 hours a week for school, then you can work, so why can they not look at it the opposite way, if I was putting in 30-40 hours a week for school, it is equal to work???? I called a lawyer & he pretty much said "tough cookies". I don't qualify for SSI b/c I'm married. I have 2 kids & was in school so I could provide better for them, not so I could get some da*# disease that would take more away from them! And I cannot remember what I learned in class today, so how am I suppose to remember it for a test? I'm normally a very positive, silver-lining kind of person, but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Do I call another lawyer? I've read about people getting ssdi w/o enough work credits. Sorry, I'm really upset right now. I just don't know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: ssdi...loophole? Grip, but wold love advice or input.

SSI no but you can qualify for SSDI. Go to the SSA website and print off the information required for SSDI for MS. Even though you are married and your husband has income, you can still be approved and get Medicare. Your SSDI amount may be adjusted for your husband's income.

If you have an SSA office near you, they can meet with you to discuss things before you file. Once approved the SSA will assign a local officer who will handle your case.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User

Thank You! I will look into this, I'll call in the morning. I do have an office near me. I guess when that lawyer said you haven't worked 5 of the last 10, no go, I melted. Thank You again.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

The lawyer may be correct. The rules change and the required documentation also changes, but their website will inform you. As you have a local office, that is good too. I hope it works out for you.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Reply Reply