It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User
Exclamation I think I had my first "hug"?

Last night as I was lying in bed playing games on my tablet, I began to feel a bit "wheezy" .... I RARELY ever have to use my inhaler .. probably no more than once per year. Anyway, within a few minutes, I had a strange squeezing sensation that went all along my diaphragm, straight across under my breasts where my bra would be if I had one on. I sat up straight in bed to see if it would help. It got progressively tighter and if I hadn't already read about the MS Hug, I would have really freaked out. I finally took some deep breaths and laid down on my stomach to try and relax. If finally let up .... tensed a little off and on again but finally completely passed.

Was this the dreaded MS hug? It sure felt like it! Felt like all the muscles across that area were tightening up!

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: I think I had my first "hug"?

It sounds like your MS giving you a hug! I always envision mine as my MS giving me a hug because I keep it locked in the closet and it misses me... For me, I have found that the MS Hug, while once scary, is now but a minor annoyance. Stay strong!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (09-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

Thanks so much, JayHawk, for once again being so kind and answering my post! I felt like it was very classic to what I have read and was really very surprised it actually happened to me. It's sounding more and more like a confirmation of MS to me but still have to wait it out and see what the Neuro thinks after my next MRI which isn't until December. *sigh*

Old 09-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

No worries. Just make sure you are recording everything for the neuro. BTW, if you have a contact there, you might want to email or call them and let them know what has been happening. If I have a problem, I will contact my neuro's nurse and if it is a concern, I know I can see her sooner than waiting the full 6 months.

You are definitely walking in limbo land, but you should know you should never feel like you are all alone. We will support you through the process.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Yes, I am making notes in several places. Documenting every single symptom every single day! I did call when I was having the upper body shakes while riding my new bicycle but she just said "hang in there" and take the Gabapentin. So .... guess she is aware that I might experience all sorts of crazy things but in her mind they will be typical and of no immediate concern. I think she may be waiting the six months to also make sure that my insurance will pay for a 2nd MRI. I just hope there is still evidence of what has been going on??? I don't want her to think I am a lunatic! LOL!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

I would not worry. If there are lesions responsible for your problems, they will be evidence to support you. When we are stuck in limbo Land, doubt can creep into our lives and thoughts. Just remember, when doubters say that "it is in your head", you can truthfully say "I know". Perhaps when you get an MRI image with lesions you can even show them!

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
Whimpurr (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Well, I haven't actually seen my first MRI ... suppose I could ask to but just never have. Surely if there are changes on the next one, they will show me both to compare? I would sure WANT to see!!!

Thanks so much Jayhawk for being so kind to respond ... looks like you are about the only active member here and such a big help to us "newbies"!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

No worries. I like to see my MRI just to confirm I still have a brain!!

At my last appointment my neuro is setting up access for me to view everything online through a secure server. This way I will not have to take things with me and forget where I leave them. I do, however, have to remember my password! The nice thing is that I will be able to access my records as far back as 1982! That is too much for me to remember!

There are others who are active too, but many of them work. As I am disabled, I have more time to get online. Just remember, pay it forward and help those who are behind you in their MS walk. We who walk ahead are the trail blazers and we need to remember that there were others before us who helped us, albeit, for me, it was pre-internet!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (09-24-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Whimpurr,
I just wanted to add that it is your right to have copies of your MRIs and reports. Everytime you get an MRI done, you need to ask for a copy of the films, usually they will burn a CD for you. Im not suggesting that you should know how to read it, but I definately suggest starting a box and keeping all copies of everything.

My eye doctor looks at my brain MRIs, my neuro=opthamologist also looks at my brain MRIs, Ive had to go for second opinions with different doctors and they have all asked me to bring the last 2 or 3 MRIs with me so they can see the films themselves. ITs always a good idea to keep all blood work, reports, tests and films for up to five years.

Youl find that it helps considerably to have this onhand- and not have to waste time trying to get ahold of copies if and when you need them.

By the way, there are many of us who are quite active on the board. I apologize that you didnt find me to be; Ive been working out of town all this week, at an expo, and havent had as much time as usual to get online and check in; however we are ALL here for you if you have questions.

Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Thank you so much as well, Nikki! Didn't mean to imply that this wasn't a friendly and / or helpful community ... it just seems hard to find forums that get much regular "use" these days! I tend to "forget" that most of the population works, I am at home full-time like JayHawk! SORRY!!!

I guess I am a bit "shy" about asking the doctor for my results. I just am afraid they will think I don't trust them or something! LOL! I will ask the receptionist instead!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Whimpurr,
No offense taken.
You dont need to be shy about asking for anything. Anytime you go to the doctor, you are entitled to get copies of anything that is done. When you go to have an MRI done, ask the tech to please print you a copy of the CD- she will burn it while she is doing the films (to save time) and hand it to you on the way out. WHen you get to the doctors, ask for a copy of the report which goes with it. You can also ask your doctor to print out any labs you have done for your records. I actually ask the lab who draws the blood to copy me on it, and they always have. I usually have my results before my doctors office calls me to tell me they are back. I have a gigantic box under y bed filled with medical stuff, and unfortuntely, Ive needed to use it several times this year.
I also keep my old MRI films between the mattresses, to keep them flat and out of the way! (thank goodness they mainly use CDs now!)

Never be afraid or embarrassed to ask for what you want. You paid for it, or your insurance did- it belongs to you and more importantly, this is your health. You have to advocate for yourself, no one else will.

Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (09-25-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Well, I have since had another "hug" just like the one I wrote about in this thread ... exactly the same with the tightening of the muscles along my "bra line". Also, last night I had one that was more focused right in the center of my chest (sternum area) and lasted for hours!!! Once again, I tried my inhaler which did NOTHING so I know it wasn't an asthma thing!

I finally took one Gabapentin which eased it to a more comfortable level and then finally an hour later, went ahead and took a second Gabapentin. This discomfort lasted several hours this time and only relented by taking the two Gabapentins and a sleep-aid so that I could fall asleep! Had a good 12 hr. sleep though! lol

While suffering through this latest episode, I found a site on the web where others describe their "hugs". There were several who said that sitting or lying down tends to bring theirs "on". That is a question I was wanting to ask about mine! Each time I have had these 3 experiences, I have been lying in bed just relaxing and playing games on my tablet. It was very suprising to think that being in a "relaxed" position would bring on such an intense discomfort! Any comments or theories?

Thanks in advance!

Kim

Old 09-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Facilitator
(male)

I have had hugs while lying down, walking, driving, ..... For some people there could be a trigger for them, but I have never found a trigger for mine. You might try a tepid shower or bath to see if this gives you relief.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
(male)

sam480 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimpurr View Post
Last night as I was lying in bed playing games on my tablet, I began to feel a bit "wheezy" .... I RARELY ever have to use my inhaler .. probably no more than once per year. Anyway, within a few minutes, I had a strange squeezing sensation that went all along my diaphragm, straight across under my breasts where my bra would be if I had one on. I sat up straight in bed to see if it would help. It got progressively tighter and if I hadn't already read about the MS Hug, I would have really freaked out. I finally took some deep breaths and laid down on my stomach to try and relax. If finally let up .... tensed a little off and on again but finally completely passed.

Was this the dreaded MS hug? It sure felt like it! Felt like all the muscles across that area were tightening up!

Thanks for your input!
Hello,
Yes this is MS hug problem actually it's not a problem it's a sudden genetic change in blood cell. My friend also suffering from this situation.

Reply Reply