It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User
Thumbs up Avonex Pen has been great!

I am 7 weeks into this new therapy. I had problems with itching after the shots for the first few weeks, but I switched to KNOWN non-latex bandages and that seems to have cleared up my issue. Honest, I was scratching so much in my sleep I'd wake up with blood spots on the sheets and scabs developed. SO. Having had YEARS of Interferon Beta-1a, I really didn't think this was a reaction to the medication. AND since I ripped off some skin after the 3rd or 4th shot when removing the bandage... Well, there was a problem there! Enter the non-latex.

Thank you Biogen for sending a complete kit of supplies with the injections, but your bandages SUCK! Other than that, the new Avonex Pen is wonderful! (I still can't see how that short little needle is intramuscular, but it seems to be working....) My Rebif bruises are finally fading.

I am SO glad I got back on Avonex.

Last edited by Lisa_P; 09-23-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Avonex Pen has been great!

Thank you for your update. I am glad things are working better for you. You are right regarding latex/non-latex when skin irritations hit you. Thanks for sharing!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Lisa_P (09-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
(male)

sodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB Usersodapopper HB User

I'm just curious- Does Avaonex recommend you put a bandage on the injection site? I've never done that with my Copaxone. If it's irritating your skin, couldn't you just skip the bandage? Glad the Avonex is going well for you.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

Actually, avonex included an alcohol swab, gauze pad, and bandage for each injection. The advice is to use if there is some blood. Usually it's just a drop because I haven't perfected removing the needle straight!

Reply Reply