It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

bfine2day HB User
Dx'd with MS in 2005

Hi...I'm new to this board so I will tell you just a little about myself. I was dx'd in 2005. Symptoms at that time got so bad that I decided to retire from teaching. (28 years of teaching) My symptoms since have mainly been weakness and pain in my legs.

Lately I have had other symptoms occurring such as memory loss and a feeling in my left leg like a rubber band around my calf. The biggest thing that has happened is I have had one illness after another for the past 5 months... flu...cold...sinus infection.. My question to the group is does any one have any idea how I get over these reoccurring illnesses. My immune system must be very low.

Have a nice day!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Dx'd with MS in 2005

Welcome.

I do not experience many colds and since I had a bout of bacterial pneumonia in the mid 1990's, I get an annual flu shot. I do take vitamin C when I feel the first hint of a cold. I take 3000-5000 mg a day for 3-5 days and than I stop when the "feeling" is gone.

If you are dealing with colds, flu, and sinus infections back to back, my concern would be "sick house" or local environmental concerns. Have you checked your ventilation duct work for any mold or dust? If you have not, you might change your air filter once a month when it is in use. Newer systems even have a UV Light to help clarify the air. I would also check with an ENT.

The tightness around your calf might be relieved through a good daily stretching. You might also check to see if you are getting sufficient calcium and magnesium and staying well hydrated.

I get pain in my leg along with weakness. Much of this for me is due to the active lesions which are on my t-spine. At least once a year, it looks like the second week of August, I develop pain in my lower back which moves to my left hip, femur, and down to my knees. Below my knees it is often numb to my toes. The attacks on my left leg have weakened it for me and when it is in pain, it is a 10/10 level. I use a heating pad which literally melts my pain away. I place it at the area of the most intense pain and then move it around (Chase the pain).

I hope you can get the answers you need. i am glad you found this site and I hope you feel most welcome.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
bfine2day (10-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Befinetoday. Welcome to healthboards.

You didnt tell us, are you on any MS drugs? Disease modifying drugs? Things like Rebif, Avonex or Copaxone can actually lower your immune system....if you are not on any of them I would be looking for other reasons why you would be getting infection after infection. This isnt normal for MSers, unless you happen to be on a DMD.

I take LDN- low dose naltrexone- a non FDA approved drug for MS. The drug itself is approved, just not for MS purposes. This drug is used to balance the immune system. Ive been on it over a year and havent gotten sick since I started it- and for me, thats amazing. I work in a hospital and am often exposed to bacterial and viral infections. You might consider having some blood work done to see where your white blood counts fall, these are the cells which fight infection.

You might also look at things like who you come in contact with- and how you santize your home and surroundings. Keeping things germ free greatly reduces infections...and of course, like Jayhawk said, environmental awareness is important as well.

Im glad you found us, let us know what else is on your mind!
Nikki

Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
(female)

bfine2day HB User

Hi...yes I have been taking Copaxone now for 7 years. I go to the neurologist on Wed. Maybe he will order a blood test to see about my white blood count. Thanks so much for your quick answer. I am so glad to have found this board.

Reply Reply