HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Feel worse late afternoon and on the verge of tears by bedtime (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/921453-feel-worse-late-afternoon-verge-tears-bedtime.html)

Whimpurr 10-03-2012 06:31 PM

Feel worse late afternoon and on the verge of tears by bedtime

Just wondering if this is "typical" for others or not? I know I
have read that some can feel worse in the afternoon and then
feel better by evening but I seem to just get worse
and worse as the day goes on.

Tonight for example, I feel weaker all over and
just generally sickly and on the verge of tears
It's just that run down, I can't stand to do anything
helpless feeling that makes me just want to
burst out in tears and I generally do at some point
It's like I have nothing left to give but tears and
then I am "finished"

MSJayhawk 10-03-2012 06:49 PM

Re: Feel worse late afternoon and on the verge of tears by bedtime

You bet!

When you get up in the morning you start using the energy you have stored up while you slept. It is common, I think, to "hit a wall" by the afternoon.

I have found that some days I hit the wall by mid-morning and need a nap and then I might need to nap again in the afternoon. I have had days when I only manage 2 hours at a time of good energy.

You might also find that your energy is depleted quicker due to trigger events which could be from something stressful to temperature changes. You will not get the energy back until you re-fill your energy levels. For me, I need a nap or some "me time" in my "fortress of solitude" (man cave). :angel:

Whimpurr 10-03-2012 07:14 PM

JayHawk, I can always count on you to help me out with a reply,
thank you so much! Today I have a nice visit from my good friend
and after she left, I was "wasted". All I did was help her carry some things out to her car that I had given her and I felt like I had moved a whole house full of heavy furniture. The largest item I carried was a glass lamp!

MSJayhawk 10-03-2012 07:27 PM

Family gatherings, for me, are energy guzzlers. Your time with your friend was joyous and good, but stress does not favor good or bad events. I do not think your helping carry the lamp did you in. Before I go to an event, I will nap to store up energy. If I go to a big event, I might rest for 2-3 days and a day after the event.

As you go forward in your life, if this will be part of your life, you will learn or can learn what your limits are. For me it is a feeling. When the feeling hits, I know that I have to take a break. If I happen to push past my limit, it may take me 2-3 days just to fully recover. I think that it makes that limit a weighted decision, that is, is pushing past my limit worth it? Sometimes it is, but I know that I will have to pay for it! :angel:

texas71 10-14-2012 01:30 AM

People say keep moving but my body just tingles and is numb all. Will it ever go away? I get so scared. I just want to feel normal again

MSNik 10-14-2012 06:37 AM

Hi there. tingling and numbness do not always go away. For some, its a way of life....but you do get used to it and it seems to be less bothersome as time goes on. If later in the day you feel that this is worse, it is not a "keep moving" thing- its your body telling you that its time to rest and take a break. If you have 24 hour a day tingling like I do- it really doesnt matter what you do, nothing is going to stop it. For me, its in my hands/ fingers....and I stopped typing and now use voice recognition to type. I also use as much technology as I can to make my life easier; however, its no reason to feel sorry for yourself.

MS is a reason to be in touch and listen to your body. For MANY MSers, as the day goes on, our challenges both physically and cognitively, increase. We have to stop and plan our day accordingly. For instance, I work 50+ hours a week and go to post grauduate school. I also have a family and a home. I try, on weekends, to make enough meals to get me through the first half of the week I try to work out in the mornings, when my energy is highest- and I try to go to bed by 9 pm each night, because I know, if I try to do anything aftr 9 pm, Im not going to do it well.

When this is new to you, its very hard to get used to, but as time goes on, youll see that it becomes easier.
I wish you both well....and strength.
Nikki

texas71 10-14-2012 07:24 AM

Thank you so much. I hope to one day to feel better and be more uplifted about this MS. I am gonna start taking yoga

MSJayhawk 10-14-2012 07:32 AM

[QUOTE=texas71;5071937]People say keep moving but my body just tingles and is numb all. Will it ever go away? I get so scared. I just want to feel normal again[/QUOTE]

After 35 years of this, I would say that keep moving is the best thing you can do overall. Will it help you? It is hard to say. But I do know that with MS, regardless of what is happening, keep moving!

For many the numbness and tingling are a daily burden, but for others it is a period of time which may repeatedly visit for a lifetime.

As to "I just want to feel normal again", if you have MS, you will never be normal again. I would recommend you re-establish a "New Normal", that is, a feeling of normal that works for you. My personal "normalcy" will differ than another MSer because it has different factors and variables.

Do with what you have been given. Better days are ahead, though you may not see it yet. :angel: