It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

sandi51 HB User
ibuphrophen

I have a question. Does anyone take ibuprofen for pain or swelling ?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: ibuphrophen

If I have pain which I believe is due to muscle swelling/inflammation, I will take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium. If the pain is due to nerves, I take nothing.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

Ibuprofen is an Anti-inflamatory and will help inflamation and swelling,
if the pain is caused by this then the swelling and thus the pain from it will be reduced.

Solofelix.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
(female)

sandi51 HB User

it seems to help me with what I think are my ms issues. I walk better ...no limp
my back feels better.....

Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

If it helps you, then your difficulty would likely be muscular. when MS left my back twisted to one side, I used forearm crutches and ibuprofen, but the ibuprofen for only 5 days. Long term use of ibuprofen is not healthy and in women European studies point towards hearing loss.

The naproxem sodium (Aleve) might be something to consider too, though again not long term. It has been shown to be more effective in women than in men.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Sandi
are you already diagnosed with MS? Because if you are not, and ibuprofin is helping, its very possible that you dont have MS.

As others have stated its a nonsteroid anti-inflamatory, make to reduce inflammation. Since MS is a nerve disorder, there is no way Ibuprofin will help with MS issues, but as Jayhawk pointed out, if you damaged some muscles from twisting or leaning due to a MS issue like a gait problem, Ibuprofin will relieve the tenderness and swelling of the muscule issue.

If you are not already diagnosed with MS - this is something you would want to tell a neurologist, that Ibuprofin helps- they need to be looking elsewhere for a dx.....however if you are already diagnosed with MS- I think you should count your blessings that whatever it is that it appears to be helping with, is probably eventually going to heal completely and not be an issue in your life! In the meantime, rest the area which you are treating with ibuprofin and try not to aggravate whatever is already aggravated- and talk to your doctor about this.

Nikki

Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

After reading through this thread, I decided to "test' Ibuprofen today as I woke up every achy and painful and figured might as well try. Well, I took 2 Ibuprofen and now 2 hours later, still painful and the achy is coming back as well. I was less achy for the first hour but now that is creeping back as well. *Sigh*

Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimpurr View Post
After reading through this thread, I decided to "test' Ibuprofen today as I woke up every achy and painful and figured might as well try. Well, I took 2 Ibuprofen and now 2 hours later, still painful and the achy is coming back as well. I was less achy for the first hour but now that is creeping back as well. *Sigh*
I would encourage a generous amount of stretching. This has helped me. I will tell you, however, that it can take me up to 2 hours sometimes to get going (get up to speed). On some mornings running molasses in January would be faster than me!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

JayHawk, I took a short walk to try and work out my muscles a bit. Can't go too far or I will set myself back but I try to at least work the muscles some. I'm so afraid of more muscle wasting and leg weakness simply due to being inactive.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

As long as you do not go over your limit, you are fine. My neuro told me as long as I move about and stretch, then I need not worry about atrophy. Stretching, she told me, helps maintain muscle memory.

Do what you can each day and be happy that at least you have done what you can!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Will do! Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-05-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Reply Reply