HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Update: No sex drive (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/921733-update-no-sex-drive.html)

J-one 10-05-2012 01:07 PM

Update: No sex drive

So, Last I mentioned I had no sex drive & hadn't for years. I saw my ob. We are doing a trial run of a testosterone shot. I take 1mg of testosterone every 6-8 weeks. Today was injection 1. She said we can increase/decrease as needed (a little), there are 3 main side effects from test shots. 2 I'm watching for: extra hair growth (don't want that), and a deeper voice (really don't want that), but she said I can just stop at anytime. I've read some positive things about it as well, it is a steroid, so energy?, and there was one study I read where they did test therapy on men w/ ms, the ones w/ higher testosterone has clearer cognitive skills. So we will see how it goes. I'll update you all from time to time.

MSJayhawk 10-05-2012 02:25 PM

Re: Update: No sex drive

i am glad you are working with your doctor on this. you might ask for a hormone screening to see which hormones you are low. A compounding pharmacy can mix a bio-identical hormone for you specifically. :angel:

MSNik 10-05-2012 06:40 PM

Be sure to mention to your neurologist that you are taking this. Injections of testosterone can actually cause problems in your brain MRI- as in false readings. This is something your Neuro needs to know.

You may be told you have new lesions, when in fact you do not- and if you start developing symptoms and your doc sends you for a MRI, you may not show new lesions....

Best to you-
Nikki

J-one 10-06-2012 10:31 AM

Thank You both. I didn't know about either of those. I did plan to tell my neurologist, but will also keep that in mind as I make the decision on whether to keep taking it or not. I will ask for a hormone screening, that's a good idea.

LasVegasgirl 10-06-2012 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=J-one;5067718]So, Last I mentioned I had no sex drive & hadn't for years. I saw my ob. We are doing a trial run of a testosterone shot. I take 1mg of testosterone every 6-8 weeks. Today was injection 1. She said we can increase/decrease as needed (a little), there are 3 main side effects from test shots. 2 I'm watching for: extra hair growth (don't want that), and a deeper voice (really don't want that), but she said I can just stop at anytime. I've read some positive things about it as well, it is a steroid, so energy?, and there was one study I read where they did test therapy on men w/ ms, the ones w/ higher testosterone has clearer cognitive skills. So we will see how it goes. I'll update you all from time to time.[/QUOTE]

J-one 10-07-2012 09:37 AM

LasVegasgirl, I don't see any post except where my post was quoted. Am I missing something?

LasVegasgirl 10-07-2012 11:48 AM

No, I am new here so learning how to post :)

I lost my sex drive several years ago. Have not asked a doctor if there is anything you can do about it. You will have to let us know if what your taking helps...

J-one 10-07-2012 12:04 PM

Ok, I haven't been here long, just diagnosed August 2nd. But haven't had a sex drive for several years either. I will keep you all updated. Oh and I read last night that in women with ms, several have a low test level, & they seem to do better with just the right amount. I'm gonna recommend you to go get your levels tested now, wish I had before starting.

LasVegasgirl 10-07-2012 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=J-one;5068597]Ok, I haven't been here long, just diagnosed August 2nd. But haven't had a sex drive for several years either. I will keep you all updated. Oh and I read last night that in women with ms, several have a low test level, & they seem to do better with just the right amount. I'm gonna recommend you to go get your levels tested now, wish I had before starting.[/QUOTE]I'll have to read your prior posts to see what level to get tested for that you are talking about. I am sorry for your dx of MS. The first year is the hardest to go through.