It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User
Update: No sex drive

So, Last I mentioned I had no sex drive & hadn't for years. I saw my ob. We are doing a trial run of a testosterone shot. I take 1mg of testosterone every 6-8 weeks. Today was injection 1. She said we can increase/decrease as needed (a little), there are 3 main side effects from test shots. 2 I'm watching for: extra hair growth (don't want that), and a deeper voice (really don't want that), but she said I can just stop at anytime. I've read some positive things about it as well, it is a steroid, so energy?, and there was one study I read where they did test therapy on men w/ ms, the ones w/ higher testosterone has clearer cognitive skills. So we will see how it goes. I'll update you all from time to time.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Update: No sex drive

i am glad you are working with your doctor on this. you might ask for a hormone screening to see which hormones you are low. A compounding pharmacy can mix a bio-identical hormone for you specifically.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Be sure to mention to your neurologist that you are taking this. Injections of testosterone can actually cause problems in your brain MRI- as in false readings. This is something your Neuro needs to know.

You may be told you have new lesions, when in fact you do not- and if you start developing symptoms and your doc sends you for a MRI, you may not show new lesions....

Best to you-
Nikki

Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

Thank You both. I didn't know about either of those. I did plan to tell my neurologist, but will also keep that in mind as I make the decision on whether to keep taking it or not. I will ask for a hormone screening, that's a good idea.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-one View Post
So, Last I mentioned I had no sex drive & hadn't for years. I saw my ob. We are doing a trial run of a testosterone shot. I take 1mg of testosterone every 6-8 weeks. Today was injection 1. She said we can increase/decrease as needed (a little), there are 3 main side effects from test shots. 2 I'm watching for: extra hair growth (don't want that), and a deeper voice (really don't want that), but she said I can just stop at anytime. I've read some positive things about it as well, it is a steroid, so energy?, and there was one study I read where they did test therapy on men w/ ms, the ones w/ higher testosterone has clearer cognitive skills. So we will see how it goes. I'll update you all from time to time.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
(female)

LasVegasgirl, I don't see any post except where my post was quoted. Am I missing something?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

No, I am new here so learning how to post

I lost my sex drive several years ago. Have not asked a doctor if there is anything you can do about it. You will have to let us know if what your taking helps...

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
(female)

Ok, I haven't been here long, just diagnosed August 2nd. But haven't had a sex drive for several years either. I will keep you all updated. Oh and I read last night that in women with ms, several have a low test level, & they seem to do better with just the right amount. I'm gonna recommend you to go get your levels tested now, wish I had before starting.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-one View Post
Ok, I haven't been here long, just diagnosed August 2nd. But haven't had a sex drive for several years either. I will keep you all updated. Oh and I read last night that in women with ms, several have a low test level, & they seem to do better with just the right amount. I'm gonna recommend you to go get your levels tested now, wish I had before starting.
I'll have to read your prior posts to see what level to get tested for that you are talking about. I am sorry for your dx of MS. The first year is the hardest to go through.

Reply Reply