It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User
Question Keep getting a "stitch" in my side?

I have had these off and on the last couple of week. Today, I have had them several times. First it was my left side now it is my right side. They feel like what I call a "stitch" in my side like when you run too long or something but they are right up under my rib cage. Are these just another form of the MS "hug"?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Keep getting a "stitch" in my side?

I think it probably is. I know that for me the MS Hug varies and that the intensity can be quite slight too. If this "stitch" is new or different than your normal "hug", then you might want your doctor to take a look to make sure it is a Hug.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

Well unfortunately, I don't see my neuro again until December after I have my next MRI. I have not until recently experienced anything that I thought was a "hug" before, so it will all be "news" to my Neuro when I see her again in Dec. I don't want to go back sounding like a "know it all" so I am just trying to make notes of things to tell her that I have experienced without using "technical terms"!

So far the things which I am thinking are my "hugs" have been the tightening of muscles all along the area where the band of my bra would be ... but didn't have one on either time and also the tightness and feeling of wheeziness (although inhaler didn't phase it) behind my breastbone. Now these "stitches" in both of my sides, up high just under my rib cage.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I think that you have experienced the hug. Though your neuro is not until December, you might check with your regular doctor about your "stitches" to make sure you are not having any other causes.

Have you tried an cold compresses? I used a tepid shower long ago when I had my first bad one. The shower helped me at the time.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
I think that you have experienced the hug. Though your neuro is not until December, you might check with your regular doctor about your "stitches" to make sure you are not having any other causes.

Have you tried an cold compresses? I used a tepid shower long ago when I had my first bad one. The shower helped me at the time.
Thankfully, so far, they have not been too unbearable just uncomfortable but I will certainly keep your advice in mind if they get worse! Thank you!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

No worries. I found that MS caused more pain for me later and still today that when compared to my MS Hug, it is "nothing" except a minor annoyance. For me, my emotional threshold has certainly weakened, but my pain threshold has increased greatly.

Please make sure you not the stitches in your journal because I think the information is useful to you later as well as your neuro.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Question Re: Keep getting a "stitch" in my side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
No worries. I found that MS caused more pain for me later and still today that when compared to my MS Hug, it is "nothing" except a minor annoyance. For me, my emotional threshold has certainly weakened, but my pain threshold has increased greatly.

Please make sure you not the stitches in your journal because I think the information is useful to you later as well as your neuro.
Speaking of "more pain" ... I have also been wondering if being so achy and painful all over fairly non-stop the past several days is typical as well. It is getting very "old" I can tell you for sure! Sometimes I start questioning what is really wrong with me .... I get some really sharp pains in my right upper arm muscle and also my right thigh muscle that literally take my breath and make me gasp out loud. Last night I also got what felt like bee stings in several places along my left hip, leg and left foot within seconds of each place. Wow those hurt too! Guess I am still just trying to make sure I am on the right path with my symptoms and not displaying something really freaky! LOL!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

If a pain reliever such as naproxen sodium or ibuprofen does not work for the pain, I would assume it is likely nerve pain. For me it has been concentrated on my left side since the second week of August and has lasted for as long as 6 months.

I can only control my pain with my stretching and heating pad. My neuro told me I could try the topical creme, BUT you are limited to how many times you can use it due to risk of skin damage. I will move my heating pad several times before I return to the original spot and restart the process. Pain gets old really fast. When my leg is in pain, much of the reason is the nerve combined with the muscle starting to fail in strength. I will rest, heat it up, and then return to what I was doing before the pain started.

Some MSers have good luck with cold compresses. For me, this triggers another pain which is not pleasant either. Heat is what works for me and which I will continue to use.

If you have a pool nearby, you might look at pool therapy. It is an exercise good for MSers. For me the nearest pool in a 30 minute drive and my service dog will nt let me in the water! In my immediate neighborhood the pools are the farm ponds and the ladies frequenting the "pool" are the 1200-1800 pound bovine variety!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Lol, you don't think the lovely cows would appreciate your company for a swim?
I tend to think that a heating pad would feel good for me as well ... I do have one, so perhaps I need to start trying that. Yesterday I tried the Ibuprofen test and it failed... so guessing it is mostly nerve pain. I hate to take pain meds so I generally onl take my Gabapentin at bedtime and last night that didn't even help much .... still had a painful and bad sleep night.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

When I worked on the dairy farm there was one cow who would sulk in the back woods or pond if she did not get her "rightful" place in line to be milked. Cows-me-and pond do not have pleasant memories!

Gabapentin tends to lose its effectiveness in those people who once got relief. If it no longer works for you, work with your prescribing doctor to get weaned off of it to make sure you do not suffer any adverse effects.

The heating pad does not work for every MSer. I did share the info with my neuro and she shared it with some of her patients. Some were able to get relief. When you find something that works, I find it a blessing to share with others because you never know how many people in pain get relief. I have found that the sooner I attack the pain, the quicker my cycle seems to last with regards to this nerve pain.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Well, I may have another "issue" with the Gabapentin. I rarely take it ... don't
Think that I ever have during the daytime and only take one to start with at bedtime. Well, tonight I went ahead and took just one pill and now my blood sugar has spiked! Never noticed this before as I normally take one then go to sleep!!! I am also Type 2 Diabetic .... is Gabapentin known to cause BG spikes? IF so then I am really in trouble! I already dread the conflicts with possible steroid treatments. *Sigh*

Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Gabapentin has not been reported to raise blood sugar. You might need to consult with the doctor who cares for you with your diabetes.

I am keeping you in my prayers.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

OK! So much to keep up with. Thanks so much for your help and for the prayers!!! I trust fully in the Lord to get me through each and every day!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

No worries. just keep some good noes and stay strong. One day at a time.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

I did some searching online and Gabapentin DOES say that diabetics need to be cautious because it can raise blood sugar levels. Need to make sure and remind my neuro that I am diabetic.

Reply Reply