It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

play4ever HB User
rebismart

Hi who uses the rebismart? and what are the pros and cons ? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
(male)

sbha12 HB User
Re: rebismart

Hi there,

I have been on Rebif for just about a year now and was diagnosed last year with MS. I'm based in Australia and the Rebismart is the preferred way of administering Rebif to patients.

Having been on the Rebismart for about a year, I can truly say that without it, taking Rebif would be an absolute pain in the backside and I would have been sick of Rebif by now.

The ultimate advantage of Rebismart is that you no longer have to 'inject' yourself. The autoinjector makes the whole process very easy, almost painless and the amount of comfort settings you have in terms of needle depth and needle speed make it very easy to use.

You just have to load up your Rebif cartridge, turn on the machine and it guides you through the process. Load your needle into the needle slot, remove the safety cap and then place against your skin and inject. The machine goes in and then comes out. For people who don't like needles, this is a great feature.

The only negative I would add is battery failure and potential machine failure, but I have had my machine for a year now and have not had any battery issues. The batteries that came with my machine are still going strong. That being said, I do have spare batteries with me when I need them.

Rebif in itself is strong medication and does give you side effects for the first few months (cold / flu like symptoms) but once you get over those, using Rebif isn't too bad. The Rebismart makes it a hell of a lot easier though and I'd definitely recommend it if you were going down the Rebif route.

Good luck and wishing you good health!

Cheers,

sbha12

The Following User Says Thank You to sbha12 For This Useful Post:
play4ever (10-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba16 View Post
I've been on Rebif for about 7 years now, the rebismart injector works pretty good compared to the old rebinject IMO. Keep extra batteries just in case and you should be OK.

One thing I don't like is that you have to keep the rebismart in an "upright" position once loaded. I travel a lot and it's pretty much impossible to do that!
Welcome. Thank you for your first post and sharing your experiences. Excellent advice and input! Again, welcome!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

play4ever HB User

hi I am due to start on the rebismart on sunday....the reason why I chose it is at the MS clinic I go to ,the nurse told me that because of my fear of needles this would be a good choice for me. The rebiject pen makes a noise when you "eject" it where this you dont see the needle,you can change the settings to how quick you would like the injection to be and am hoping if I follow the direction of bringing it to room temperature it will not sting as much. I also like the idea that it is all computerized as it keeps track of everthing so it fits right into the techno world we are in. But Sunday I could change my mind altogether....I will let you know

Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
(female)

KingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB UserKingBaxter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks11 View Post
Hello everyone
This is my first post here as well, mostly I just read.

My 17 year old daughter started on Rebif three months ago, using Rebiject (pen injector). The medication (not the needle itself) is painful for her, to the point where lately I've been the one doing her injections as she can't bring herself to do it.
I've tried manual injection few days ago, but it was still painful. Jabba and sbha12, I am wondering if you used Rebiject prior to Rebi-smart and if so, what are your thoughts on pain levels?
I think here in Canada Rebismart is also the method of choice, but she is reluctant to try anything other than Rebiject as she is already so discouraged.

Thanks everyone!

Hi, i also have serious pain from the medication. I use the rebiject. I can finally deal with the thought of needle, but the medication stings so badly for me. I have the same fear every time i inject because it is so painful. I told my doctor and i also spoke with MS Lifelines about it. My doctor said i can switch to a new oral med, but i'm too scared to do that right now - i want to see people on it for a while, plus i haven't had any symptoms since i started on the rebif in 6/2011.
MS lifelines told me to take a week out at a time and that i can also hold the need in my hand for a couple of minutes before injecting to "warm it up" a little. This has helped very, very little, but it has helped.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
(female)

play4ever HB User

well first injection done about 2 hours ago and I have a fear of needles and this was a walk in the park (mind you because of the titration I really didnt have a whole bunch of the rebif injected). Hardly felt the needle and it was great that I didnt actually have to do really anything. Just pinch the skin and press a button. Sure hope this is the way it stays

Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Great update. I hope it continues to go well!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
(male)

sbha12 HB User

That's wonderful news. I'm glad that your first experience with Rebismart went well! I had a feeling it would and that you would like it.

The bad news is that as you progress through the titration period and you come on the 44 mcg dose, you will start to feel some cold and flu symptoms. The needle will also hurt more when you are on the 44 mcg dose.

The good news is that if you take Rebismart before going to bed and take a couple of paracetamol tablets before sleeping, you should be just fine. Also you do get used to it. As long as you keep alternating your injection spots and take it in the evening, you should find that you will do okay with it.

Good luck with everything and here's wishing you good health!

Cheers,

sbha12

Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
(female)

adim9721 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBaxter View Post
Hi, i also have serious pain from the medication. I use the rebiject. I can finally deal with the thought of needle, but the medication stings so badly for me. I have the same fear every time i inject because it is so painful. I told my doctor and i also spoke with MS Lifelines about it. My doctor said i can switch to a new oral med, but i'm too scared to do that right now - i want to see people on it for a while, plus i haven't had any symptoms since i started on the rebif in 6/2011.
MS lifelines told me to take a week out at a time and that i can also hold the need in my hand for a couple of minutes before injecting to "warm it up" a little. This has helped very, very little, but it has helped.
Dunno if this thread is still going on but the rebiject pen thing is NOT the rebismart. Ive been on rebif for a whille and experienced four different methods of injection. The rebiject pen was by far the worst. By far. If you are still on the rebif and dont have the rebismart, do everything in your power to get one. It is wonderful.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
(female)

play4ever HB User

I do find the rebismart to be a great way to administer.....if it wasn't for the method I really don't think I would be able to inject. That being said I have been on REBIF for about 9 mos now and the past fews months I really notice the stinging of the medicine. It really is very painful

Reply Reply