It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

EmAbby HB User
Finally saw neurologist today-- MRI ?s

My family doctor was very slow moving forward with her concerns about my symptoms. I did finally get referred to a neurologist, and finally saw her today after a month of waiting (only one in this city!). She was wonderful and spent a great deal of time with me. She ordered a full tick panel from the lab for me (to rule out lyme disease again- already tested before) and I have an MRI with contrast scheduled for tomorrow morning. Now I'm a little nervous about the MRI. I've never had one before and have heard plenty of people say they could "never do it." I'm not particularly afraid of small spaces, but just how small is the space?! Any tips for going through this?

Also, what if the MRI comes back normal? Does that mean that it is definitely not MS?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User
Re: Finally saw neurologist today-- MRI ?s

It's not that small and it is open at the end. I keep my eyes closed. Some of the machines are louder and move more, I do jump if i'm not expecting it. You should be fine. I do have a hard time w/ the length of it, so I have to take my add meds or xanax to help me be patient. some of them have head phones so you can listen to music. Good Luck, you will be ok. I had brain first, showed lesions, so then neck, showed lesions, then spine, showed lesions, then spinal tap & dx. Just so you know your possible future.

The Following User Says Thank You to J-one For This Useful Post:
EmAbby (10-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Going in the "tunnel" might be difficult if you have anxiety about such spaces, but if you speak with the staff, they can help you. I know some people who get sedated.

For me the monotonous sound from within the machine causes me to sleep. I have never completed any MRI without dozing off. I saw that some newer machines have goggles and earplugs which allow you to hear and see a movie or some kind of entertainment.

If your MRI results are normal or negative, this does not mean that MS is not a possibility. Early on the initial lesion can be missed. Your MRI should include at a minimum your head and c-spine.

If you have a clear MRI and continue to present with MS like symptoms, you will most likely make a return visit to the MRI in 2-6 months unless other causes are determined.

Lyme is a real possibility too. Try to remain calm and relax because the results can take time and your doctor may want both unless something appears on your MRI to warrant further attention.

Stay strong!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
EmAbby (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
(female)

soulsurvivor HB User

I just had a MRI its really not that bad. I was put in to my shoulders for the brain and a little further when i had my t spine and c spine done. They put a thing over your head almost like a cage with a mirror so you can see out and they give you a panic button to hold and head phones with music. Thats how mine went anyway, the mri machine i was in had about a 6 to 8 inch space above your face so it was fairly enclosed but if you just keep your eyes closed and listen to the music you will get thru it without any problems. The tech spoke to me thru the headphones when things were gonna get louder and when she was finished it is rather relaxing once you get in there think of a happy place. Goodluck!!

The Following User Says Thank You to soulsurvivor For This Useful Post:
EmAbby (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Emabby
Youll be fine...as others have said, the space is not that small, and its not painful at all...it is loud though. The techs who are running the machine can hear you inside it, and talk to you through the speakers....tell them you dont know what to expect and ask them to talk you through it. They will- by saying things like "The next series will last 2 minutes" - that way youll know what to expect. ITs very loud- like banging and pinging sounds...this is the magnet reading the brain...no pain at all.

You can be given a xanax or something to calm you if you are really nervous, but youll have to ask your doctor ahead of time for that so you can fill the prescription. I dont think youll need it, but you can take it if you will feel better, it will simply make you sleepy and take the edge off. If you have never taken xanax before and decided to take it- make sure someone drives you home.

The last recommendation I have, is ASK FOR A COPY OF THE FILMS. They will give you one on a CD more than likely...always keep films for future reference...and when your doctor gets a copy of the report, you can ask for a copy of that as well. My eye doctor, neuro-opthamologist, and even other Neurologists have asked me to bring my last 3 MRIs (18 months for me) many times- its good to keep them at home, in case you need them.

Good luck. Dont be afraid. There is nothing to be afraid of...it will be over within 45 minutes!

Hugs,
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
EmAbby (10-09-2012)
Reply Reply