HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Strange eye movements (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/922572-strange-eye-movements.html)

fromptok 10-11-2012 03:49 AM

Strange eye movements

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced your eyes feeling like they are wiggling and crossing causing dizziness and actually losing focus? My new neuro said he's not ruling out MS at this point due to some of my symptoms and something about my leg reflexes he didn't like. So, I go back Oct23rd for some eye and ear tests and an MRI of my spine. Hopefully I can get some answers!

raden 10-11-2012 08:57 AM

Re: Strange eye movements

Hey, I see no one has posted, I don't want you to be left hanging, and I think this is the first time I have responded on someone else's post. I have NOT been Dx with anything for the symptoms I experience (numb arm/foot-strange sensations) but among them has been eye pain in my left eye for months! In the last month or so I have seen bright shapes that come for a short period of time, then go away. The wiggly eye you describe has been happening to me more often and that does make me feel disoriented, (I don't have the cross-eye you described, but mine only occurs in one eye). I then have to blink several times, like squinting hard to try to re-focus. Its like the eye gets tired and just freaks out for a minute and doesn't want to do its job.

So while I can't offer any suggestions as to what is occurring (3 eye drs can't find whats causing this with me) I can let you know you aren't the only one experiencing this or at least something similar. I pray you find answers at your appointments because I know this limbo-land is NO fun!

MSJayhawk 10-11-2012 10:15 AM

Uncontrolled eye movement can be MS related and this is why your neuro cannot rule out MS.

What type of leg reflex concerns did you have? Did you present with a Babinski reflex?

If you have an MRI, it should be with and without contrast and minimally cover your head and c-spine.

I would say that it would appear that you are in good shape in moving forward through limbo land and you have piqued your neuro's interest. Stay strong!
:angel:

fromptok 10-11-2012 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=MSJayhawk;5070686]Uncontrolled eye movement can be MS related and this is why your neuro cannot rule out MS.

What type of leg reflex concerns did you have? Did you present with a Babinski reflex?

If you have an MRI, it should be with and without contrast and minimally cover your head and c-spine.

I would say that it would appear that you are in good shape in moving forward through limbo land and you have piqued your neuro's interest. Stay strong!
:angel:[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure what kind of reflex testing it was...he checked reflexes all over my body, even my ankles and feet and he said whatever it was he didn't like in my legs was classic for MS..whatever that means? I've had 3 brain MRI's done...with the last 2 showing ovoid plaques. This MRI of spine says thoracid...what does that mean? And the ear and eyes tests are VER and BAER. Hopefully he can give me some answers...I have an appt to see him that same day he said to discuss the results of everything. Seven yrs is a long time to go on with all of these symptoms w/o any results! I sure hope I've piques his interest...he'll make my 3rd neuro. Thanks, am trying to stay strong.

fromptok 10-11-2012 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=spharden;5070655]Hey, I see no one has posted, I don't want you to be left hanging, and I think this is the first time I have responded on someone else's post. I have NOT been Dx with anything for the symptoms I experience (numb arm/foot-strange sensations) but among them has been eye pain in my left eye for months! In the last month or so I have seen bright shapes that come for a short period of time, then go away. The wiggly eye you describe has been happening to me more often and that does make me feel disoriented, (I don't have the cross-eye you described, but mine only occurs in one eye). I then have to blink several times, like squinting hard to try to re-focus. Its like the eye gets tired and just freaks out for a minute and doesn't want to do its job.

So while I can't offer any suggestions as to what is occurring (3 eye drs can't find whats causing this with me) I can let you know you aren't the only one experiencing this or at least something similar. I pray you find answers at your appointments because I know this limbo-land is NO fun![/QUOTE]

My symptoms first started with this eye thing back in June '05. It has happened off and on from that time. This most recent spell with it has lasted over 3 months now though. It use to happen every couple months and last a few weeks and then go away but, it's not going away this time. I've also noticed today...if I close one eye, it seems to stop whatever it is. Have you tried closing one eye just to see if it stops? This is all so frustrating after so much time with no results so I hope he can tell me something. It's really become so hard to drive because when this happens with my eyes, it's like I lose focus and black out for a split second...even though I've looked in a mirror and can't see them moving! Thanks and I hope you find some answers too.

MSJayhawk 10-11-2012 02:39 PM

Thoracid? Possibly THORACIC= that part of your spine which is in your chest region. It is between your Cervical Spine and Lumbar Spine.

Based on your other threads, your 3rd neuro may have had their interest piqued, but some of what you have shared makes me question their knowledge or experience with MSers. :angel:

fromptok 10-11-2012 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=MSJayhawk;5070771]Thoracid? Possibly THORACIC= that part of your spine which is in your chest region. It is between your Cervical Spine and Lumbar Spine.

Based on your other threads, your 3rd neuro may have had their interest piqued, but some of what you have shared makes me question their knowledge or experience with MSers. :angel:[/QUOTE]

Why would he not do the whole spine? I know...I am at such a loss...this makes the 2nd neuro this year that I've went to that I have to pay out of pocket due to no insurance. Why are they not willing to listen to me? Especially with 2 MRI's and the evidence sitting right in front of them?

MSJayhawk 10-11-2012 03:01 PM

Most MSers have lesions which can be found in the Brain and/or cervical spine. The costs increase as the MRI includes more of your spine. In 2002, based upon my VEP, I was allowed to include the Thoracic spine and active lesions were found there. Nowadays my MRIs will always include head, c-spine, and t-spine. If you are paying for these things, be the boss and make your needs known!! :angel:

raden 10-11-2012 03:01 PM

I do close my eyes when it happens and I squint real hard and blink alot and try hard to concentrate to make it stop. But mine is only in one eye so it doesn't sound as disturbing as yours. If this happened in both eyes at the same time, yes, driving would almost be impossible, and also scary. I can't seem to pinpoint anything that "TRIGGERS" it. It happens at work while I am on the computer (which seems to be the first quetion an eye dr asks) but it happens doing nothing and relaxing or watching a movie, reading a book, at any time very random. I have tried hard to write down when it happens, but it truly seems to have no bearing on what I am doing. I feel for you! Hope you get answers SOON.

fromptok 10-12-2012 02:46 AM

[QUOTE=spharden;5070780]I do close my eyes when it happens and I squint real hard and blink alot and try hard to concentrate to make it stop. But mine is only in one eye so it doesn't sound as disturbing as yours. If this happened in both eyes at the same time, yes, driving would almost be impossible, and also scary. I can't seem to pinpoint anything that "TRIGGERS" it. It happens at work while I am on the computer (which seems to be the first quetion an eye dr asks) but it happens doing nothing and relaxing or watching a movie, reading a book, at any time very random. I have tried hard to write down when it happens, but it truly seems to have no bearing on what I am doing. I feel for you! Hope you get answers SOON.[/QUOTE]

Same thing here spharden...it can happen whether I'm doing anything or not. I've also tried writing them down but my list was getting too long...happening every minute or so and no triggers that I can pin point. Thanks.

fromptok 10-12-2012 02:52 AM

[QUOTE=MSJayhawk;5070778]Most MSers have lesions which can be found in the Brain and/or cervical spine. The costs increase as the MRI includes more of your spine. In 2002, based upon my VEP, I was allowed to include the Thoracic spine and active lesions were found there. Nowadays my MRIs will always include head, c-spine, and t-spine. If you are paying for these things, be the boss and make your needs known!! :angel:[/QUOTE]

I am on a charity program for testing here in my hometown but, I had to go out of town for this new neuro. I talked to the nurse yesterday to see if I could get these tests done here instead of there and she said the dr said that would be fine. But, she also said that the hospital here probably don't do the ear and eye tests he wants done...she said they've only found 2 hospitals within their area that do it. So, I'm going to call my hosp and see if they do these tests...hopefully they do...I really need these done. And the nurse said the dr said don't worry about it if I can't get the testing done and I told her no, one way or another I'm going to get them done...this has went on 7 yrs and I need answers! Why does it seem the dr is not taking this serious???

MSJayhawk 10-12-2012 04:41 AM

Your first sentence, sadly, is likely a weighted factor. Please do not worry, however, because things will happen for the better. I am keeping you in my prayers.
:angel:

fromptok 10-12-2012 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=MSJayhawk;5071049]Your first sentence, sadly, is likely a weighted factor. Please do not worry, however, because things will happen for the better. I am keeping you in my prayers.
:angel:[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! I just don't understand...I've had a feelings that both of these neuros are treating me this way because I don't have insurance! But, what's it to them...they're still getting paid regardless! And, this newest neuro knew it..I think he thinks I'm just going to drop all the testing and lyrica cuz I don't have insurance to pay but, I'll prove him wrong! I've been on phone with our 2 local hosp here and neither does the ear and eye test he wants done so, I'll be calling down there and signing up on the charity program with the hosp where he wants me to get it done!! Oh and get this...you're just gonna love this...I have a rep that gets my meds through the pharmaceutical companies but she said she couldn't help with the lyrica where it's a narcotic. So, I called pfizer and asked them to fax a paper to neuro office. Well anyways, I've been over a week waiting for them to get it done and when I called yesterday, they hadn't filled it out or sent it back due to "they do not accept meds being delivered to their office". OK, well they could've called and told me this and then the nurse said dr wanted to know if I could call and ask my reg dr if it could be delivered to her address!! So, why, as professionals, did they not call my dr office and ask this themselves. And, like I told the nurse and receptionist the day I had the paper faxed to them, pfizer said the lyrica would be delivered to my door by ups or fedex and me showing driv lic so they told me to tell neuro that they needed to send copy of my driv lic when they sent this form back in...I told them all of this!!! Why are they acting this way??!! Sorry for all the ranting...I just feel like no one is listening to me and I'm being treated unfairly and in the meantime, my condition is just getting worse!

MSJayhawk 10-12-2012 02:23 PM

Do what you have to do with what has been placed before you. Sometimes it requires you to be the proverbial squeaky wheel. SOme people are hesitant, but sometimes it is a necessity. Keep plugging away one day at a time. :angel:

CaleyDog 10-15-2012 11:16 AM

Dear FromPTok... Strange "wiggling" eye movement MAY be something called nystagnus. I've never heard of nystagnus being directly related to MS. (I have bouts of nystagnus when I get hit with a Meniere's attack. Meniere's is a problem with the inner ear causing intense vertigo, but it's not related to MS per se.)

The vision problem I have most frequently which IS associated with MS is one of many forms of "diplopia" or double vision. My left eye rolls up and gets stuck; while the pupil is dilated and unresponsive to light or "blown." The result is vertical double vision rather than horizontal double vision as is caused when you cross your eyes. Attacks last anywhere from 24 - 72 hours, sometimes longer.

Good luck. You may want to see a good ophthalmologist in addition to a neurologist or better still -- if you can find one -- a neuro-opthalmologist. A medical practitioner specializing in eyes can shed a lot of light (no pun intended) on various eye disorders that may or may not be MS-related.