It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
(female)

texas71 HB User
MS numbness and tingling

I am recently diagnosed and I am taking Neurotin and I still have numbness and tingling throughout my body, even in my my chest and back. Is there something else to take because Neurotin doesn't seem to help. I go see my doc tomorrow to start taking Refib. Any comments

Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: MS numbness and tingling

I think you mean Rebif??
Rebif isnt going to help with the numbness or tingling- its not designed to help with any symptoms at all, but rather to prevent new attacks and keep the MS from progressing. For many people, numbness and tingling are a way of life with MS - and usually our onset symptom. Neurontin may or may not help. Ive been on every nerve drug there is: Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurontin, Gapebentin- none of them have worked at all. I live with the numbness and tingling- as I would rather not keep having the side effects of drugs.

I was on Rebif for 6 years and had a very good run with it. I was stable, and I had no new symptoms. I wish the same for you.

nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
texas71 (10-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

The tingling and numbness are things which you might have to learn to "play well together". Neurontin has little effect for most and is more pointed towards nerve pain. It is kind of like throwing mud against the wall, for some MSers it sticks and for others it does nothing.

Any DMD (Disease Modifying Drug) you take is not a cure nor does it fight symptoms.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
(female)

texas71 HB User

You guys are helpful to me. This thing is just so new and there is so much to deal with. I had Lyme test and it was negative but I also heard that there may be false positives. Do you think I should talk to Doc about spinal tap

Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
(female)

texas71 HB User

I am not computer savvy. How do I read all of my posts

Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
(female)

texas71 HB User

Never mind I see that they are at bottom of thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I think that if you want to "cover all the bases" then a spinal tap is one step you can take. At the very least it will provide you with a benchmark of what is up. At the best, you might find something that is causing you concern. Please do not rely on the spinal tap to negate a diagnosis of MS. 15% of MSers who have had spinal taps have had negative (normal) results. The spinal tap is not a specific test for MS.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
(female)

texas71 HB User

Thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
(female)

texas71 HB User

What kind of diets do y'all do?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Eating a healthy balanced meal and consuming a diet low in fat and replete with Omega's is good. I avoid red meats and processed meat. Most of my meat is fish and chicken and during the winter venison and rabbit might be added.

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
texas71 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
(female)

texas71 HB User

So what working. I guess that will vary and depend on my body huh

Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

There are many diets out there and most will require some adjustments, I think, to fit you. There are healthy foods which cause me difficulty in swallowing and I have eliminated these from my diet because the choking is bothersome.

Two things that I keep which are not in most diets I know- my diet Dr. Pepper and dark chocolate. I use both of these for specific pain in my head. You might find things that work or do not work for you. Fish oil, good for the heart, but recent studies show it does better for women than men, but still good omega consumption benefits you.

When I started with MS, as I have become less able to remain as active, my caloric intake has been lessened. As you transition from the military, you might need a caloric adjustment in your diet too. Just do not overindulge at the Texas State Fair fried foods!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
(female)

texas71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
There are many diets out there and most will require some adjustments, I think, to fit you. There are healthy foods which cause me difficulty in swallowing and I have eliminated these from my diet because the choking is bothersome.

Two things that I keep which are not in most diets I know- my diet Dr. Pepper and dark chocolate. I use both of these for specific pain in my head. You might find things that work or do not work for you. Fish oil, good for the heart, but recent studies show it does better for women than men, but still good omega consumption benefits you.

When I started with MS, as I have become less able to remain as active, my caloric intake has been lessened. As you transition from the military, you might need a caloric adjustment in your diet too. Just do not overindulge at the Texas State Fair fried foods!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
(female)

texas71 HB User

And you know they fry everything there LOL. Another thing, sometimes when I walk I get a muscle spasm in my left leg? Will meds help this or is this something else I have to live with?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
Facilitator
(male)

DMDs will not help with spasms. There are meds which can prescribed to treat spasms. Personally, I live with my "little" spasms and use stretching, walking, and hydration to stay atop of them. Also make sure your calcium and magnesium levels are good.

After a few cycles of spasms, they become "normal" living for me and are mere annoyances I learn to accept as my "normal" life.

Reply Reply