It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User
Sorrow along with health issues / just need to share

My precious mom passed away late yesterday afternoon She had been suffering with Alzheimer's Disease and been bed-ridden for the past almost 2 years. She was 81 and my 88 year old Dad had been caring for her with homehealth aides and nurses in their home. After an short late afternoon nap, my Dad awoke to find my dear mom hanging over the side of her hospital bed and she was already gone. He called 911 and they attempted to do CPR and intubate her all the way to the ER but she was DOA from an apparent massive heart attack

This all happened just as I was talking back and forth with my neuro office and attempting to schedule my December MRI I was requesting having a thoracic MRI this time but the neuro only ordered another brain and cervical one. Today I stopped by her office to explain my new symptoms in my back and ribs but her nurse said that they don't schedule thoracic ones at the same time as brain MRIs because you would have to be in the machine for too long at one time So she wants to see me again this Tuesday to talk about my new symptoms. I am wondering if I shouldn't perhaps go to an MS clinic that is in nearby Nashville, TN as I am getting frustrated with this nurse practicioner / neuro.???

Anyway, just mainly needing to vent about my mom and everything hitting at once Thanks for listening.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Sorrow along with health issues / just need to share

I lost my mom this summer. The added stress you are going through can really hit you. Please take the time to allow yourself some "me time". While losing a loved one is difficult, it can also cause our bodies to spiral downward. Your increased "me time" is not selfish because you need to protect your health.

You remain in my prayers. I will also keep your dad in my prayers and hope that you all get through this in good shape.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (11-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Whimpurr,
I wanted to add my condolences. I recently lost my father; and know what you are going through. He too, was bed bound and spent his last few months being cared for by a family member and paid caregiver. The sense of loss is still very real to me.

Your question about changing Neuros? I would go see your neuro one more time and get the scheduled MRIs , but at the same time inquire as to whether or not they will send you for a tspine in the immediate future if this doesnt show anything. Sometimes, too long in the MRI machine is very uncomfortable and causes MSers to have muscle spasms and be very uncomfortable. The bigger question is why arent they sending you for the Tspine? If the answer is that they do not believe it is neccesary and you really want it, then maybe you should get another doctor and opinion; but if the answer is smply that they want to break it up into two different days/ tests, Id say that is in your best interest.

Again,
im sorry for your loss.
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (11-09-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

Had my neuro appt today. She acknowledged my girdle band sensations as I described them although neither of us used specific "MS" verbage. I again asked about that sensation along with lower back pain and whether or not a thoracic MRI might be in order. She stated that she still feels like my symptoms are coming from my brain and / or cervical spine so for now we would just get another MRI of those to compare with the one 6 months agÚ. She said that although I am still experiencing new symptoms that she doesn't feel that I am progressing quickly and THAT was the "good news". All she would say is that she i pretty sure I have a central nervous system disease. However, on the check-out sheet she sent with me back to the front desk for scheduling my MRI and bloodwork, it said De-Mylenating Disease and schedule MRI with MS protocol. I think she just doesn't want to freak me out until she is certain. I did tell her about losing my Mom this week so I'm sure she is trying to not add unnecessarily to my stress level. Oh, they did draw blood to recheck my Vitamin D level today as well. I guess anything over the original "8" will be an good thing on that, huh?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
(female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User

i amm truly sorry for you and your family.i had typed a few min ago but i lost iti will pray i promiss

Last edited by 5alive; 11-22-2012 at 07:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to 5alive For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
(female)

raden HB Userraden HB User

hey whimpurr. i pray for you and your family to have peace during this time of loss.

i remember when you posted on my thread, and it does seem we are on the same journey just a state apart. my last neuro appt went almost exactly like that. he stated he is CONFIDENT i have a central nervous system problem, and marked Multiple Sclerosis on the sheet for check-out, and ordered the next MRI. my original mri the radiologist report said clean normal, but he disagreed and said I do have one lesion and spots. he ask if i had any questions and i was so thrown off i said NO. so not like me. i figured he couldn't tell me anyway because of the criteria of two lesions (then again some say the failing of the VEP pretty well proves you have lesions on the optic nerves or however thats worded, but i guess I wasn't quite prepared to hear it that day) but i have a list now! next monday i go for another brain and add c-spine

anyway... i totally feel for you. i can't imagine going thru this and throw on top the death of a parent. i hope you have alot of support from friends and family. i really pray you have comfort during this... and get your answers soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to raden For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (11-14-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimpurr View Post
My precious mom passed away late yesterday afternoon She had been suffering with Alzheimer's Disease and been bed-ridden for the past almost 2 years. She was 81 and my 88 year old Dad had been caring for her with homehealth aides and nurses in their home. After an short late afternoon nap, my Dad awoke to find my dear mom hanging over the side of her hospital bed and she was already gone. He called 911 and they attempted to do CPR and intubate her all the way to the ER but she was DOA from an apparent massive heart attack

This all happened just as I was talking back and forth with my neuro office and attempting to schedule my December MRI I was requesting having a thoracic MRI this time but the neuro only ordered another brain and cervical one. Today I stopped by her office to explain my new symptoms in my back and ribs but her nurse said that they don't schedule thoracic ones at the same time as brain MRIs because you would have to be in the machine for too long at one time So she wants to see me again this Tuesday to talk about my new symptoms. I am wondering if I shouldn't perhaps go to an MS clinic that is in nearby Nashville, TN as I am getting frustrated with this nurse practicioner / neuro.???

Anyway, just mainly needing to vent about my mom and everything hitting at once Thanks for listening.
Hi, your story hits home with me with what is going on with my parents.

Mine are divorced but my mom is 85 and has been going through vascular dementia for years. My dad is 88 and is now really going through a different type of dementia than she is. They both live alone and that is an entire long frustrating story we are going through.

I understand your sadness and worries about your dad. I can not imagine what he went through finding her and the sadness he is now going through along with the rest of your family.

These issues can really throw your body into havoc.

Hang in there and I hope you get your necessary MRI's along with your dad getting through these tough times.

Big hugs to you and your family!

The Following User Says Thank You to LasVegasgirl For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Thank you each very much for your warm responses and prayers. I think it all hit me today. It's been one week today since my Mom passed and I've felt like I've been run over by a train about 10 times. Just very depressed and fatigued and teary. My neuro called and scheduled my "December" MRI for this Friday so at least I will get that over with before Christmas and Thanksgiving. I will post when I have any results thank you all very much again.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
(female)

i'm still in prayer for you.boy,we have great caring friends here.my story is so much like yours. i can tell you all soon.i do realy care.i hope some days might just be a lil better.
peace

The Following User Says Thank You to 5alive For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
(female)

didn't mean to edit just hope you are doing better.mom died in my arms,but we only had each other and it was a blessing. she was very sick.i don't think she had a clue i was sick.everyday i wish just to hold her hand.
my prayers again.
i know i'll be asking ? here they all know quite a bit about this disease.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
didn't mean to edit just hope you are doing better.mom died in my arms,but we only had each other and it was a blessing. she was very sick.i don't think she had a clue i was sick.everyday i wish just to hold her hand.
my prayers again.
SO very sorry! ((((Hugs))))

Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
my prayers again.
What a touching story. You really touched my heart.

Today, we had both of my parents over for Thanksgiving. They have been divorced since I was 16. I am now 53. It really made my day watching them reminescence of old times they had. We took pictures of them and the smiles between them both was touching. I will always cherish these photo's and know that this is the last year I will have my dad here. We know his time here is short.

Your comment really made me think how much I will miss my parents once they are gone and long for a simple touch of being able to hold their hands or be able to talk to them.

When we are ill ourselves, it is sometimes hard to take the time and energy to spend time with your elderly parents. You made me realize how important it is no matter how we feel, that your time with them is so short.

Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to LasVegasgirl:
Whimpurr (11-22-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to LasVegasgirl For This Useful Post:
5alive (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
(female)

i put my Moms story under the thread mom is dying much stranth to all

The following user gives a hug of support to 5alive:
LOMS (11-26-2012)