It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
(female)

Pemberley HB User
Infection, MS, and Antibiotics?

Has anyone ever tried taking antibiotics to help their MS? Some MSers have been getting better by using antibiotics. Also do a search of the following terms: “chlamydia pneumoniae & help & treatment”.

Two neuros at Vanderbilt University developed this antibiotic protocol that has helped many people. These neuros have patented their protocol for humanitarian reasons as big Pharma will not back it because they cannot make any money on cheap, generic antibiotics and they would rather keep all of us on expensive DMD’s to make a pretty penny.

I am on the antibiotic protocol now and already feel better. I wonder if there are there any people here that have heard of this protocol or tried it?

Last edited by moderator2; 11-15-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Infection, MS, and Antibiotics?

The problem with any protocol as such is that long term antibiotic use leads to super bugs and less chance to survive an infection. Also, what is the factor that they are attacking? Have they determined an infection that causes MS? If so, then this infection should show in blood work or the spinal fluid. I think that such studies can cause a placebo effect and the reason some feel better is likely because their bodies are doing better, that is, the symptoms have "disappeared" for some time. I do not want to sound pessimistic, but this study raises more questions than answers in my opinion.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I have to agree with Jayhawk on this. I have studied this study at length myself, and cannot find any reason to subject my body to such high doses of antibiotics. Because infection and low immune systems are the norm with MS patients, it stands to reason that any amount of antibiotics would cause a person to feel better. I know when I take a zpack for a throat infection, I feel better "all over" even if its only really treating the sore throat. I do believe its based on a placebo effect as well.

Many a neurologist has questioned this protocol. For every study which shows any positive results from this, there is also one which shows negative results.....the bigger picture, like Jayhawk stated is the infections which are also being risked such as C-diff and MRSA. Such high doses of antibiotics are surely going to bring on these complications, and stop having effect on what we need it to treat...

Im sorry, but I cant give this one any credence either. Like many other "super cures" and "miracle cures", this one has a very long way to go before its accepted by the MS society.
Nikki

Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

[QUOTE=Pemberley;5089231]Has anyone ever tried taking antibiotics to help their MS? Some MSers have been getting better by using antibiotics. Also do a search of the following terms: “chlamydia pneumoniae & help & treatment”.

Two neuros at Vanderbilt University developed this antibiotic protocol that has helped many people. These neuros have patented their protocol for humanitarian reasons as big Pharma will not back it because they cannot make any money on cheap, generic antibiotics and they would rather keep all of us on expensive DMD’s to make a pretty penny.

I am on the antibiotic protocol now and already feel better. I wonder if there are there any people here that have heard of this protocol or tried it?[/QUOTE) Just my opinion, but, as most doctor's states, do not take antibiotic's for colds or for any other reason, because it will lose its effectiveness, and cause other issues.

MS is a totally different monster and should be treated in my opinion with the MS therapies already out there. Taking those will slow the progression, hault most of the flares and that in itself will make you feel much better. If you can't afford them, most of them offer programs that will pay for them. You just have to contact the manufacturer of which therapy you are interested in and see what they have to offer.

I feel, you are taking a huge risk on your life, in case you ever get an illness that requires antibotics to recover from. But you need to do the research yourself on the consequences of taking antibiotics for anything other than what they are intended for (Not MS). Just google it.....

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

Pemberley HB User

I have now met 2 women that were diagnosed with MS that have used the Antibiotic Protocol and one has been symptom free for 10 years and the other symptom free for 7 years since being on antibiotcs. The infection that MSer's have is called chlamydia pneumoniae. I tested way high in titer tests for this infection. There is a really interesting video regarding this infection and MSers which appeared on an Australian TV show called "Catalyst". I would rather take the chance at taking antibiotics and being symptom-free than doing nothing or taking DMD's which only slow down the disease by a small margin. If you have never read about the Vanderbilt Protocol then it is worth your time to read about it in full. Do not put down one person's decision to buck the MS system. We each have to live in the body's that God has given us. And it is each of our right's to do what we think is best for our health. I will come back periodically to let you all know of my success with antibiotics.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemberley View Post
I have now met 2 women that were diagnosed with MS that have used the Antibiotic Protocol and one has been symptom free for 10 years and the other symptom free for 7 years since being on antibiotcs. The infection that MSer's have is called chlamydia pneumoniae. I tested way high in titer tests for this infection. There is a really interesting video regarding this infection and MSers which appeared on an Australian TV show called "Catalyst". I would rather take the chance at taking antibiotics and being symptom-free than doing nothing or taking DMD's which only slow down the disease by a small margin. If you have never read about the Vanderbilt Protocol then it is worth your time to read about it in full. Do not put down one person's decision to buck the MS system. We each have to live in the body's that God has given us. And it is each of our right's to do what we think is best for our health. I will come back periodically to let you all know of my success with antibiotics.
Hi Pemberley, I have had MS for at least 18 years and once knowing, have been on the DMD's to hopefully slow the progression. I do have to say, once on these meds, it haulted all my normally, annual flares which made me more or less symptom free. It has only been this last year when things have changed for me. But, what if I did not take these meds, where would I be today.

In regard to the antibiotic therapy, I need to read about it, and thank you for giving us what to research on.

However, what every doctor states is that taking antibiotic's for colds or flu's makes it where the antibiotics do not work when it is actually needed. Plus creates other issues.

I do agree though about MS and infections as I am always battling infections in my body.

I think with anyone who has MS, it is up to each individual, what direction they wish to take.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Pemberly
Although I have to say that there is definate interest of the medical society in this protocol, what you wrote, doesnt impress ME. I am an MSer who hasnt had a new symptom in 8 years, and some of that time I was on DMDs, the last 2 years Ive basically been med free. I cant say that if I had taken the antibiotic protocol I would have felt better than I do right now! And I will admit that Ive had to take antibiotics like Zpacks over the past few years off and on for bronchial or throat infections. They wouldnt have worked had I been on such a strong protocol.

I think its important to remind everyone that this is a study which is being studied. There is no evidence that this works as of yet. The bigger question, like with any drugs, is IS this the course of one's disease, OR is it the drug? Just like the DMD debate, it could go either way. Also, like the DMDs which have been coming out regularly, what are the long term effects of being on such high doses of antibiotics? Similar to Tysabri, Ginenya and some of the other new drugs, no one can tell the long term effects until they have been out for 5 years. Many of the drugs start showing some serious side effects within the first two years.

On every corner is a snakeoil sales man with a MS cure...if you look hard enough, youll find a solution to whatever ails you....if this is a legitamite solution, time will tell; however there are several organizations trying to halt this study and questioning the outcomes based on the fact that more research has been done on the long term effects of taking antibiotics than how antibiotics affect MS. The long term effects of taking antibiotics are significant and documented. Just because they may or may not stop MS symptoms doesnt necessarily make it a good thing. As I stated earlier, I have no MS symptoms since my onset symptom- why? Its not because Im taking high doses of antibiotics....

Each and every one of us has the right to choose what we put into our bodies and how we attempt to control our disease; however, I would caution all of us to be wary of studies, especially studies which are done on such a small scale- and be willing to do the reserach yourself. Know not only what the results of the study is, but what the risks are- then you can make a decision on what is best for YOU.
Nikki

Reply Reply