HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   hyaluronic acid (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/927940-hyaluronic-acid.html)

debbers58 11-17-2012 08:31 AM

hyaluronic acid

Based on a study conducted by OHSU, do you think it would be wise to take hyaluronic acid? I'm not sure I understand it... I showed itto my nutritionalist and he told me to take hyaluronic acid, but when I read it, it sounds to me like the more hyaluronic acid you have the more of the enzyme you would have that prevents remyelination? Any conclusions/ideas you have on it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

MSJayhawk 11-17-2012 09:37 AM

Re: hyaluronic acid

Once your body has destroyed the area of myelin, it is replaced by scar tissue and not by the original material. If the original myelin were replaced, you would not have as many problems as MS causes.

Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a glycosaminoglycan (GAG), which is a substance that attaches to collagen and elastin to form cartilage. It is promoted as the new elixir to remove wrinkles and lubricate knee joints. The university study believes that the myelin is blocked by the GAG which prevents it from rebuilding. However, they provide no information on blocking the GAG. They do state that their study is not a cure.

If the HA prevents the myelin from reforming, then taking it would not bring you relief. The study says that you have to block HA to allow the myelin to reform, but, again, there have been no HA blocking studies done, nor the short and long term effects which might arise. If anything, the study points in a direction worthy of further study, but due to the FDA process, you are still looking 15-20 years down the road due to the trials and studies required beyond the laboratory animals. :angel:

MSNik 11-17-2012 12:24 PM

To add to what Jayhawk so rightly pointed out, there are hundreds of studies going on world wide on how to remanufacturer myelin! Scientists obviously see the benefit of what the initial study results were and are on their way to trying to find ways to make myelin repair itself. Its not going to happen in the imediate future, but it wil eventually happen!
Nikki

Willisar79 12-12-2012 11:56 PM

Hi Guys, just want to make a quick correction. It is hyaluronidase that is the problem not hyaluronic acid. H-dase is an enzyme that breaks up HA. They did block the enzyme and demonstrated significant improvements in their monkeys with an MS type disease. I can't tell you if taking HA will help you though. I was just looking up this study because my husband's latest MRI showed active lesions even though he has not had a relapse in 5 years. Larry Sherman, the researcher on this study told me about their latest results last year and I was looking to see if they were published yet. The study is exciting and gives me and my husband hope that something will be developed soon that may actually work. Thanks.

MSNik 12-13-2012 04:30 AM

Just to qualify further, hyaluronidase is actually related to Hyluranic Acid in the fact that it is an enzyme which is found in patients with MS. By utilizing Hyaluronidase, it promotes myelin-forming cell differentiation and remyelination with the MS-like disease and leads to improving nerve cell function.

Dr. Sherman's study is not appropriate for people, but animals only at this time; and is being done to try to prove both efficacy and safety in the use of Hyalunonidase. By targeting or inhibiting this enzyme, there may be a way to prevent brain and spinal cord damage from demylination.

Its exciting research, but its no where near close to an answer- it will take as long as 25 years before the use of Hyaluronidase is (if it is ever) approved by the FDA for use on humans.

Nikki