It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

flamzofblue HB User
So many symptoms...

I have never had so many strange symptoms in such a short period of time in my life. Anxiety has been ruled out between the doc and therapist and trial meds. Unfortunately family circumstances caused me to be uninsured so no further tests or doc visits have been done. It started Mid July, the day after an ocean fishing trip...the numbness. At first it was a small spasm in my forehead which I thought was from being on the computer too much. Over the next couple of weeks it spread all over, my entire head, my hands/arms/feet/legs. It comes and goes every couple of weeks. Now it's to the point that my eyes are so blurry I can barely see or have double vision, I get numbness mostly at night, or instantly when my body temperature rises, and almost immediately when in sunlight. I can now feel spasms in my stomach and occasionally in other parts of my body. Also at night when I lay down my heart will rapidly start racing for no apparent reason. The worse part lately is the muscle pain under my rib cage which goes from front to back on the whole left side. This only started out as a small pain but as the symptoms come back the pain gets progressively worse. Experienced a huge migraine yesterday, and my fatigue is almost nonstop. The first thing I notice before all these episodes is a specific spot in my upper spine that starts acting up, usually when lifting something heavy or exerting myself the day before. I don't even know what steps to take in getting a diagnosis, can anyone give me a guideline of steps to follow??? Or tell me if you feel the same problems and how to manage them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: So many symptoms...

Welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your current circumstance with your health and insurance. It is difficult. I spent 2 years without insurance due to the high cost of Cobra $110 per month while working and $650 for COBRA when I lived in California.

The summer of 2011 I took a group of buddhist monks on a 3 week tour wrapped-up at LA. We went whale watching from Long Beach. The Pacific, as you know, is colder than the Atlantic and being out on the water left me affected. Luckily I did not have to drive, but I felt ill, cold, vision problems....

The blurriness could be Optic Neuritis (ON). The good news is that "this too shall pass" is normally the course it takes. I have been wearing polarized sunglasses since 2002.

You might try to increase your periods of rest and to observe your activity levels. If you are doing too much, this could contribute to your fatigue and other problems. Your body, when subjected to stress, has weak links. As these links "break" we can be hit with a cascading number of symptoms. You might try taking 3-4 days off with zero activities, rest, and brain wave rest (watch a favorite genre on TV or video...). Dress in layers so that you can add and remove layers to maintain an optimal temperature. I sleep in the coldest room in the house with 2-3 light sheets and a light quilt. I will peel off and add layers during the night and sometimes I even turn on my ceiling fan.

While it is difficult to know what to do because of your insurance difficulties, you can start battling your unknown nemesis by keeping a journal and discovering what your limits are and what triggers your symptoms. By the time you see a doctor, you might be as close to the exit from limbo land as you can be.

In the meanwhile, hang out here, I am glad you found us. I certainly hope you do not have MS, but if you do, it is not fatal. The odds are that you have a great chance of not having MS and having something easily treated. If we can help, let us know.

Also, check with the MSAA because they have scholarships/funding available for an MRI for the MS diagnostic process. There are different programs available, and I would encourage you to get online and make some inquiries. You can also check with various teaching hospitals who often have program funds for those who really need it.

Again, Welcome.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
(female)

flamzofblue HB User
Re: So many symptoms...

Thank you, I will look into those programs!!!

Reply Reply