It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User
strained muscles just from walking or moving normally?

Several times over the past week, I have been doing some normal activity such as walking across the room or just getting up from a seated position and felt like I strained or sprained or pulled a muscle. One day it was my right hamstring muscle and it was sore for the rest of the day. Am I actually pulling or straining muscles or is this some symptom that I am just now experiencing that has a "name" to it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: strained muscles just from walking or moving normally?

Yes and maybe....I am sure you love those answers. Sometimes I can walk to the kitchen and have trouble getting back to my seat. If you are consistently stretching and staying well hydrated each day as well as having sufficient nutrients such as Calcium and magnesium, then it could just be an annoying MS problem.

In the past I have had a short workout for just 15 minutes and then it has taken me up to 4 weeks to recover. It really can sneak up on you; therefore, do not browbeat yourself over something that can be beyond your control (what I classify as an unavoidable trigger). With MS you can do everything right and still get hit with problems.

I would stretch and try to stay off your feet as much as you can to allow your body ample recovery time.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (12-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

MS has nothing to do with strained or pulled muscles; however, it can take its toll on your ability to walk and the feeling of exhaustion in the limbs, especially the legs. Ive had days where I can walk miles-and I actually do- but the next day, my body is so tired that it hurts to get out of bed. Ive had days where running DOWN the stairs is no problem, but turning around to go back up, can make me have to go VERY slowly due to fatigue.

You really need to get a complete idea of if this is fatigue related, or if you are actually pulling muscles. Its kind of difficult to figure out what to call it sometimes, but knowing the difference is the difference between whether this is MS related, or not. Fatigue most definately is....pulled muscles means that you are doing something you shouldnt be doing. Is it because of numbness or foot drop? Is it because you arent staying hydrated or stretching? OR, is it that youre doing everything right, but are actually pulling muscles? If its muscular, its not MS and its time to call your doctor.

You might want to give your doctor a call anyway- and report this newest symptom. Is it time to go get another MRI and see if you are having new attacks? How long has it been? I go every 6 months. Maybe you need another one as well? Talk to your doctor. DOnt let things like this stop you from living a normal life....and in the mean time, try extra water during the day and also incorporating stretching into your daily routine. See if it helps.

Nikki

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

I typed a long additional post to this thread yesterday ... which was very important for me to get a response to ... and again, it has disappeared? This is getting very FRUSTRATING!!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I have found that it is sometimes easier for me to type a long thread or bit into a file and save it and then copy and paste. This allows me to organize my thoughts, especially when I am cognitively challenged.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Exclamation Re: strained muscles just from walking or moving normally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
I have found that it is sometimes easier for me to type a long thread or bit into a file and save it and then copy and paste. This allows me to organize my thoughts, especially when I am cognitively challenged.
I may be congnitively challenged but this is not the first time one of my posts has vanished. I also keep getting e-mail notifcations for a reply to my "strained muscles" post that takes me to a relationship issue with someone's husband on the ADD board! It's not just me!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
(female)

LOMS HB User

I had a muscle pulled just in bed...
Usually when I get a charlie horse, I get out of bed and walk it off. One time I wondered what if I could not get out of bed and walk it off; so I decided to stay in bed to see what would happen. Well, if finally sort-of subsided, but I had sore muscle for some time afterward.
What do people do if they cannot get out of bed? Is there any other way to rid of charlie horse or other cramping muscles without getting out of bed and walking them off?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

When I am unable to leave the bed, I will firmly knead the area while stretching my toes toward my shins (never point your toes down while having a cramp because it will worsen it). In the Navy we were taught to knead the affected muscle when we were in the water in case a cramp presented (similar to being stuck in bed). It is not as good as a real stretch and the muscles will (or may) indeed be left sore. For me, the calves cramp more than the muscles in my thigh.

still, if you are stretching, staying hydrated, and getting the appropriate nutrient intake, your cramps should disappear or become a rare presentation.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (01-04-2013)
Reply Reply