It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Olga2012 HB User
MS and Smoking

Today I was diagmosed with MS and I was told to give up smoking. Is it true that smoking causes relapse? And if I gave up and take my injections I should be fine.... I find it so hard to give up, yesteray I smoked 6 in a row to put me off so I can give up for ever. I felt so sick and my MS symptoms got worst. Its my 2nd attack the 1st one was in July. The 2nd in November, in 8 weeeks time I should start my injection treatment. Need to wait for the steroid to ease my pain before starting the injection.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
(female)

goombay HB User
Re: MS and Smoking

Hello Olga,
I was diagnosed with MS in 2007 and unfortunately I smoke as well. My neurologist keeps asking me to quit. I have also read on the internet that it is especially not good for people with MS to smoke. Everybody is different but I have had very few relapses and very few changes in my MRIs over the past 5 years. I am certainly NOT telling you to keep smoking but it will not prevent ALL relapses as my MS friends from my MS support group do not smoke and many have had many relapses. So again, you probably should quit smoking however it will probably not keep you from having any relapses. I just didn't want you to be under the wrong impression. Good luck. -goombay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome!

Smoking delays healing for many concerns. Each time you develop symptoms or experience an attack, your smoking MAY slow down your recovery. If you wish to ba as healthy as you can be, then you are encouraged to stop smoking. For women smoking and estrogen are not a healthy mix. If you are over the age of 75, from what I read, not much is left that you can do to prolong your life through changing eating habits as well as smoking or drinking.

On the subject of eating, a healthy diet is, I believe, quite beneficial whether you have MS or not. I ate healthy, never smoked or chewed tobacco, and yet I got MS at 14 yo. Fair? It is what it is. I continue to eat healthy and still refrain from smoking or chewing tobacco.

You need to make the right choices for you. Quitting is not easy for too many people who want to quit. If you need help in quitting, ask your doctor for help. I do not think it lessens you in any manner to ask for help. Sometimes it takes more courage to ask for help. Again, Welcome. I hope you find support and encouragement always.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
(female)

cj114 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olga2012 View Post
Today I was diagmosed with MS and I was told to give up smoking. Is it true that smoking causes relapse? And if I gave up and take my injections I should be fine.... I find it so hard to give up, yesteray I smoked 6 in a row to put me off so I can give up for ever. I felt so sick and my MS symptoms got worst. Its my 2nd attack the 1st one was in July. The 2nd in November, in 8 weeeks time I should start my injection treatment. Need to wait for the steroid to ease my pain before starting the injection.
Bear with me, this is my first post! lol
I was diagnosed in 1985 and at no point was I asked to give up smoking! In fact my Doctor advised against it, good grief don't you have enough on your plate without this to add to it?
A very good friend was also diagnosed last year and she also has NOT been asked to give up Smoking. We both go to the National in London where the finest Doctors [who still know nothing] are.

Just don't beat yourself up about it. I was supposed to be dead at 40 [thats the way they did things in 1985] but I am still here!
Be kind to yourself would be my first order. I am of the opinion that a stubbed toe would be the fault of Smoking. I am not for one minute saying that it is good for you, but stress will NOT help you.

After 27yrs with this thing and trying all sorts I have come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is take one day at a time.
Good luck and please take it easy. Tiredness is the worst thing and stress does not help. In fact have a glass of wine, which is what I am doing as my legs are so painful I can't sleep tonight! Yes, I over did it. Serves me right too.

CJ. x

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Welcome, CJ.

Thanks for taking time to share your experiences.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
cj114 (01-28-2013)
Reply Reply