It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
ValTech HB User
"Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Hi! I was diagnosed with MS in September. But I was thinking back to my childhood the other day, and I actually think when my first MS symptoms appeared I was around age 10..is that at all possible? I am 26 now. I had Amblyopia(one BAD eye/lazy eye) since i was a child(not cross eyed just horrible vision in my right eye, and 20/20 in my left). I have also always been very lethargic(my mom actually called me spacy & even "boring")always felt like i was on "autopilot" bc i was so lethargic. I hated it. But anyway, theres also other things from my childhood that im starting to think were maybe early indications of MS..is that possible for it to begin in childhood? I had SUCH a hard time with school..they diagnosed me with inattentive ADD, but now im starting to think maybe it was just my cognitive issues due to MS. So anyone know if the neurological issues/MS can start in childhood??

Last edited by ValTech; 01-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 8,473
MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Welcome.

There are an increasing number of pediatric MS cases being diagnosed as the medical community increases its ability to diagnose MS. My earliest known MS signs were when I was 14, but there could be some earlier. I met a young lady who was diagnosed at 11.

Because so many symptoms can be found in a flow chart that includes MS, many people will think MS when it could actually be one of 400 other possibilities. There are other neurological possibilities or even vascular or even a blood borne cause. There are a number of mimicries which have to be eliminated.

As you are taking meds, a neuro would also have to factor the side effects of the meds as well as any symptoms which meds might be suppressing.

IF your idea is that MS may play a role or be a cause, I would encourage you to seek out an MS Specialist (a neurologist whose specialty is MS) and go through an evaluation. You might be pointed towards a different specialist altogether, but I think you will be better off for getting the testing. Please note that there is no specific test for MS. The MRI is but one tool as is the LP. I hope that you will find yourself always welcome here and I would encourage you to keep asking questions. Should you move towards a different diagnosis, there are many boards on this site which will be able to help.
__________________
MS diagnosed since October 3, 1982
MS onset circa 1977
Proud to be MED FREE!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,779
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Hello ValTech,
Welcome to healthboards. Your symptoms which you listed, along with the drugs which you are taking, do not really have anything to do with MS. Im alittle confused, are you also diagnosed with MS, or are you asking us if your current state could indicate MS?

The symptoms/ drugs you are currently on, along with the description you give us of your childhood, do not appear to have anything at all to do with MS. MS is a disease of the central nervous system, which affects the appendages due to nerve demylination (damage) in the eyes, brain and spine.

Im not quite sure where the connection between ADD and Amblyopia, along with the part you wrote about having had such a hard time in school have anything to do with the possiblity of MS.....they arent related.

Can you please supply us with more information? Unless you already have a MS dx, why do you think you might have MS?

Nikki
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
ValTech HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hello ValTech,
Welcome to healthboards. Your symptoms which you listed, along with the drugs which you are taking, do not really have anything to do with MS. Im alittle confused, are you also diagnosed with MS, or are you asking us if your current state could indicate MS?

The symptoms/ drugs you are currently on, along with the description you give us of your childhood, do not appear to have anything at all to do with MS. MS is a disease of the central nervous system, which affects the appendages due to nerve demylination (damage) in the eyes, brain and spine.

Im not quite sure where the connection between ADD and Amblyopia, along with the part you wrote about having had such a hard time in school have anything to do with the possiblity of MS.....they arent related.

Can you please supply us with more information? Unless you already have a MS dx, why do you think you might have MS?

Nikki



I have been diagnosed with MS via MRI and symptoms ive had for the last 3 yrs being Vertigo, extreme fatigue, temporary blindness, double vision, bladder issues, numbness/tingling, MS hug.. I was just thinking back to my childhood became curious if it could have started way back then. I was always so lethargic, and "confused" all the time(cognitive difficulties), balance problems, vision problems..etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,779
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Hi and thank you for clarifying for me. There was nothing in your original post which suggested you were, indeed, diagnosed with MS already- thats why I wasnt sure if you were or werent. Obviously, your dx is correct since you were dx via what appears to be proper protocol.

Now, about your post- the things you mentioned in the original post, the ADD and Amblyopia, those do not have anything to do with MS- however, you now added to that by saying you were always so cognitively challenged and had such fatigue and balance problems....Now, you are talking the MS language.

Anything is possible. You may have had MS problems in you earlier childhood which were never dx...I still do not believe there is any chance that having Amblyopia had anything to do with MS....but the rest of it, certainly sounds like something might have been presenting, which no one picked up on.
It may be one of those things which you may never truly know. When I was diagnosed, 8 years ago, I had over 50 lesions all on my brain- no one could understand why I had zero symptoms until my onset symptom which led me to the doctor and within hours, a MRI and a dx. So, we cant know what to look for if we are having random symptoms as children or young adults...
Its unfortunate, but then again, maybe not. 8 years later, looking back, I wouldnt have wanted to know any sooner that I had MS...I try not to think about it now if I can help it....how about you? Would knowing sooner have made any difference in your life?

Nikki
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
ValTech HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hi and thank you for clarifying for me. There was nothing in your original post which suggested you were, indeed, diagnosed with MS already- thats why I wasnt sure if you were or werent. Obviously, your dx is correct since you were dx via what appears to be proper protocol.

Now, about your post- the things you mentioned in the original post, the ADD and Amblyopia, those do not have anything to do with MS- however, you now added to that by saying you were always so cognitively challenged and had such fatigue and balance problems....Now, you are talking the MS language.

Anything is possible. You may have had MS problems in you earlier childhood which were never dx...I still do not believe there is any chance that having Amblyopia had anything to do with MS....but the rest of it, certainly sounds like something might have been presenting, which no one picked up on.
It may be one of those things which you may never truly know. When I was diagnosed, 8 years ago, I had over 50 lesions all on my brain- no one could understand why I had zero symptoms until my onset symptom which led me to the doctor and within hours, a MRI and a dx. So, we cant know what to look for if we are having random symptoms as children or young adults...
Its unfortunate, but then again, maybe not. 8 years later, looking back, I wouldnt have wanted to know any sooner that I had MS...I try not to think about it now if I can help it....how about you? Would knowing sooner have made any difference in your life?

Nikki
Sorry, sometimes i dont think before I type things(or speak). lol. People get confused when I talk. I dont have a speech impedement or anything like that, i just have a hard time putting into words what im thinking. It will sound good in my head, and then come out differently or not come out at all. I also have a hard time finding the right words. I still struggle cognitively big time, and today I'm having a rough day symptom wise. So if i jump around alot, thats why. lol. Like i said, I have always felt "confused" and had a hard time socially..but I think god gave me my looks to try and make up for it a little at least(sry if that sounded conceeded i didnt mean for it to). Anyway, the answer to your question is Yes, I do think knowing sooner would have made a HUGE difference. Like i said, I was always such a big disappointment to my mother. & since they didnt know anything was wrong with me(like possible childhood MS), I just got labeled as "lazy", "spacy", "clumsy"...etc. So yeah it definitely wouldve made a difference...I also wouldnt have been sooo hard on myself. I hated myself so much and didnt understand why i was different. Anyway, so yeah thats why I am trying to figure it out. Sorry I wasnt more clear! I just got diagnosed in September so its fairly new. Wow, thats alot of lesions!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
ValTech HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
Welcome.

There are an increasing number of pediatric MS cases being diagnosed as the medical community increases its ability to diagnose MS. My earliest known MS signs were when I was 14, but there could be some earlier. I met a young lady who was diagnosed at 11.

Because so many symptoms can be found in a flow chart that includes MS, many people will think MS when it could actually be one of 400 other possibilities. There are other neurological possibilities or even vascular or even a blood borne cause. There are a number of mimicries which have to be eliminated.

As you are taking meds, a neuro would also have to factor the side effects of the meds as well as any symptoms which meds might be suppressing.

IF your idea is that MS may play a role or be a cause, I would encourage you to seek out an MS Specialist (a neurologist whose specialty is MS) and go through an evaluation. You might be pointed towards a different specialist altogether, but I think you will be better off for getting the testing. Please note that there is no specific test for MS. The MRI is but one tool as is the LP. I hope that you will find yourself always welcome here and I would encourage you to keep asking questions. Should you move towards a different diagnosis, there are many boards on this site which will be able to help.
Thankyou for your response! Sorry i forgot to even mention I got diagnosed this last september in my post.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 8,473
MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValTech View Post
Thankyou for your response! Sorry i forgot to even mention I got diagnosed this last september in my post.
I assumed that you had MS and were trying to find the beginning of your journey. This is what my neuro did with me.
__________________
MS diagnosed since October 3, 1982
MS onset circa 1977
Proud to be MED FREE!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

 
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
ValTech (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,779
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

I can understand why you would want reasons for being "different" based on what you have told us. For me, its the complete opposite. I would not have wanted to be labeled, or considered different, because nothing has changed in my life since my diagnosis. I refuse to let it change me. In fact, having MS to me, has forced me to not put off things which I always thought I had more time to do.
You think 50 was alot? Im up to over 75 lesions now and have over ten black holes, which is what happens when the brain tissue can no longer support lesions all clumped together! Im still a 4.0 student, I still work 60 hours a week and travel - and manage a team of 30 people. It doesnt stop me. I have no symptoms- just a bunch of damage in my brain. Honestly, I think pushing myself this hard is what keeps me going.....Im afraid if I stop, it will all come crashing down around me!

Im glad you are seeking answers, research such as you are doing is good for the brain. And good for your self esteem if in fact, you can link it all together.

Nikki
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
ValTech HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
I can understand why you would want reasons for being "different" based on what you have told us. For me, its the complete opposite. I would not have wanted to be labeled, or considered different, because nothing has changed in my life since my diagnosis. I refuse to let it change me. In fact, having MS to me, has forced me to not put off things which I always thought I had more time to do.
You think 50 was alot? Im up to over 75 lesions now and have over ten black holes, which is what happens when the brain tissue can no longer support lesions all clumped together! Im still a 4.0 student, I still work 60 hours a week and travel - and manage a team of 30 people. It doesnt stop me. I have no symptoms- just a bunch of damage in my brain. Honestly, I think pushing myself this hard is what keeps me going.....Im afraid if I stop, it will all come crashing down around me!

Im glad you are seeking answers, research such as you are doing is good for the brain. And good for your self esteem if in fact, you can link it all together.

Nikki
Thats amazing you're still symptom free...i would give anything to be a normal functioning human being. I also came across something interesting last night...my teeth have always been like spotty white and my dentists always told me it was from too much fluoride(i lived in chicago until i was 5 and my mom said the drinking water was full of fluoride so thats why my teeth are spotty). well i just watched a very informative video on how tomix fluoride can be, and how ppl with MS should stay away from fluoride bc it worsens it. thats very coincidental that i have dental fluorosis or MS..or is it? Have u guys heard of that?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
ValTech HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

[QUOTE=MSJayhawk;5123558]I assumed that you had MS and were trying to find the beginning of your journey. This is what my neuro did with me. [/QUOT

Thankyou

 
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ValTech For This Useful Post:
Administrator (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 8,779
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Im not sure exactly what you saw on TV about Flouride; however years ago, there were "rumors" that things like flouride as well as metal fillings, were bad for MSers. People everywhere, were rushing to their dentist to have their fillings removed and they were brushing their teeth with bottled water..

This Myth was put to rest and proven untrue.. Neither the fillings or flouride were causing or hurting people with MS..

However, I still dont know exactly what you saw or heard, I cant be sure it was the same story..

Nikki
__________________
RRMS- dx 05

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Levittown, PA, USA
Posts: 30
LOMS HB User
Re: "Lazy eye" & other things from childhood may be related to MS?

Lazy Eye caught my attention. My eyes do not function together, so to avoid double vision, the vision in one eye is suppressed. I can see with that eye, but it is like it is retarded. It has been like this as long as I can remember.. and, in my older age, it is not as easy to suppress the double vision. I do not ask my doc if it is from MS because I do not think he can know and because I think it is irrelevant since nothing can be done about it. Personally, I think Valtech's childhood lazy eye could be from MS and she did say at the very beginning of her first post that she was diagnosed with MS.
ValTech, in your situation, it could make a difference because you are so young. Maybe surgery, especially if it is NOT from MS or maybe even if it is. Telling your doc about it could be helpful, along with the other difficulties you mentioned.
Good Luck!

 
Reply With Quote
The following user gives a hug of support to LOMS:
ValTech (02-03-2013)
Reply Reply




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



MSJayhawk (1007), MSNik (526), Snoopy61 (58), J-one (13), Whimpurr (13), shahila (12), JodiH (11), MS22 (11), KingBaxter (10), LasVegasgirl (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!