It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User
Arm went "crazy" during test today, stress?

Hey all,

So today was my first test of the semester for one of my classes. I was a little anxious, as I didn't know what to expect. All was going well, then about 40 minutes into the test, my right arm started hurting, it went numb, then started shaking. I stopped working on my test for about 15 minutes & just sat there letting my arm rest. When it wasn't getting any better, I continued the test, messy writing as I was writing with a shaking arm. As I type this, my arm is achy. Anyone have any ideas about what may be causing it? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Arm went "crazy" during test today, stress?

My right arm gets like you described if I have to do much handwriting. This is an instance where you might need to ask for a "writer" or "writing assistance" or some other alternative. I type more nowadays, otherwise, few people could read anything I write.

My muscles in my fingers and hands give out first and it cascades up to my shoulder. Rest from use of the muscles is all I know. For me, it is not mental stress, just muscle fatigue.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
(female)

mamax3 HB User

I have had this happen with my right arm many times as well. Funny how many of us have issues with our right side!!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I actually have the opposite problem, all my weakness is on my left side- as well as numbness and tingling on my left hands/ fingers.

Im a professional student as well. I do ALOT of typing (my dissertation is over 300 pages so far and no where near complete) and I also type quite a bit for my job (reports, etc). When I find that my fingers and not cooperating, I use voice recognition softwear. Back when I was in my undergraduate, I had an accomodation that I could take tests in the testing center, with the use of voice recognition to fill in the blanks. They actually gave me special tests, with alot less typing, less question and answers, rather more multiple choice and fill in the blank, and the voice recognition did alot of the work of my fingers; HOWEVER, due to my major, I also had to take quite a bit of chemistry and statistics, for these classes, there was no way to use voice recogntition, so an assistant (aide) was available for me to handwrite the formulas, etc, which my hands wouldnt cooperate in doing.

I felt extremly lucky. I didnt take advantage of the accomodations which were available. I forced my way through everything and installled voice recognition software on my home computer for papers. But thats just me.

ITs required by the ADA that you are offered accomodations, if you need them, talk to your academic advisor about how to get them.

And, try not to let the stress do you in! Its the one thing which only you can control- and its really bad for your symptoms.

Best to you...
Nikki

Old 02-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User

Thank You all. Muscle exhaustion makes sense. My arm is still shaky & sore today. I do take my test in the testing center, so I get extra time. I have an appointment with my disability advisor this morning, so I will talk to her about what happened & the best way to handle it. I also see my GP today, so I can talk to her as well. Thanks again.

Reply Reply