HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Adderall question (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/multiple-sclerosis/938625-adderall-question.html)

J-one 02-08-2013 02:58 PM

Adderall question

Attention & fatigue issue. No help from the ADD board. I'm 33, in college, i'm a mom & wife and live a busy life. I have been on adderall 10 mg for about a year, maybe more. I take 2 10 mg at 6:30, by 9ish, it's gone, so I take another 1, by 12, if I have any work to do (so nearly everyday) I take another 1. My doctor changed my perscription to 20 mg xr. Is this going to work? This is also to helpThanks

MSJayhawk 02-08-2013 06:26 PM

Re: Adderall question

Attention and fatigue can be problematic with MS and if yours is caused by MS or even if MS is playing a part, even a small part, the meds may be ineffective. I would encourage you to speak with your neurologist. Amphetamine (adderall) is a stimulant which acts on your brain chemicals. Some MSers may be given Adderall, but its effectiveness, in my opinion, is limited to the MSer. That is, although the brain chemistry is affected, if the CNS pathways remain stifled due to scar tissue or from active lesions, the brain chemistry will do little to change anything because the nerves are the problem.

Your prescribing doctor needs to work with you to help you determine if Adderall is going to benefit you at all.

BTW, some of the greatest inventors and entrepreneurs have had ADD/ADHD. Who knows, you could be tomorrows billionaire inventor! :) :) :angel:

MSNik 02-08-2013 07:15 PM

Just a suggestion, talk to your doctor about whether or not he has ever prescribed LDN. Its not approved for MS therapy;however the main usage is for increased energy and release of endophins which help the body "feel good".

Ive been on it for years and see a huge difference in my energy level.

It has also helped significantly with many of my MS symptoms. The name of the drug is low dose naltrexone, not to be confused with the naltrexone used for opiate and alcohol addiction- this is compounded down to 4.5 mgs once a night, before bed.

It works with the body's clock to reset important levels during the sleep cycle..

You might find this helpful considering what you have told us.

Nikki

deb1125 02-11-2013 07:20 PM

Hhmmmm, interesting, modafinil is keeping me up but I have no energy levels at all. Is LDN not a common thing to prescribe?

MSJayhawk 02-11-2013 09:52 PM

LDN is not a common thing to prescribe for MSers because it is not FDA approved for MS. Have you checked your Vitamin B levels for energy? :angel:

MSNik 02-12-2013 04:37 AM

Hi, thats actually not accurate...

LDN is one of the MOST commonly things prescribed for MS....just not in the United States. In Europe its a front line drug...and in Australia, it is the most widely prescribed drug.

In the US, the drug itself is FDA approved, just not for the usage of MS....therefore, its used off label quite often.

Although many doctor wont prescribe it in place of a disease modifying drug, some will prescribe it for the symptom management, especially for energy.

Youll need to talk to your doctor about using it for symptom managment of energy levels...it can be taken with any Interferon and even Tysabri, it cannot be taken with Gilenya or Aubagio, there are no studies on its safety at this time.

Nikki

deb1125 02-12-2013 07:08 AM

MSJayhawk, yes, all of my blood levels have been checked. and Nikki thank you.