It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Cold Hands and Feet? for the ladies (mainly)

A study published in The Lancet (medical journal) in 1998 showed that while the body temperature of the women who were studied was on average 0.4 F hotter than the men, their hands were 2.8 F colder. The study showed that this is partly due to hormones. The female hormone estrogen regulates the peripheral blood vessels; high levels of this hormone make them more sensitive to temperature.

Before you make a connection with intolerances due to MS, it may be in actuality a hormonal problem. For me it is MS and is most likely to occur when the temperatures drop below 52 F (11.11 C). Other MSers might find their own point of cold intolerance.

A woman’s temperature will also vary during a menstrual cycle as the estrogen levels rise and fall.

Cold hands and feet can occasionally be a sign of something more sinister — the blood flow in your body may be interrupted because a vein or artery in the leg has become furred up by fatty deposits, a condition known as peripheral arterial disease.

If you have MS and cold hands and feet, have your doctor check to see if your problem is MS or another cause. Stay strong!!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Cold Hands and Feet? for the ladies (mainly)

Thanks for the info Jayhawk however its hard to put alot of emphasis on a study done 15 years ago. There is an interesting study in last quarters JAMA, which talks about how as we age, all of our body temperatures are effected and result in similar cold extremeties due to thinning of the blood vessels.

There was also an article recently on Reynaud's disease and how it affects MSers. So, thyroid , peripheral arterial disease, hormones, Reynauds and just plain age can alll cause the coldest of extremeties.

I think its safe to say if this is affecting anyone's life, you should see your GP to determine if its health threatening or if its simply "just another MS" symptom we tend to randomly get from time to time.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User

My hands & feet do get cold. Oddly, my feet get hot too though. I have noticed if I'm not feeling well, haven't slept much, etc... my hands are freezing blocks of ice. My feet feel like ice often, but feel hot. If that makes since.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

When my hands get numb cold they will often seem to be hot too. I treat it as "mind over matter and leave my gloves on. I have, especially in the summer, soaked my hands in ice water to restore the feeling. I will wear 2-3 layers of socks sometime and remove layers as needed.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

The main point I wanted to show is that doctors have known for sometime about these symptoms; therefore, it should be easily discussed with your doctor and neuro to determine what each MSers cause is. For example, Reynaud's disease is found to be inherited from mother to daughters at a statistically level which if you have the symptoms and your mother had/has Reynaud's disease, the statistical evidence would place a great likelihood on Reynaud's disease.

After a diagnosis of MS, new symptoms may appear and even though new symptoms might fit into the MS "set", it is important to review new symptoms with your neuro. This allows you to know the next time something presents. I know that for me, my MS pain is different than non-MS pain. Maybe it is the long time I have experienced my MS, but I truly think that there is a difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (02-18-2013)
Reply Reply