It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

trisbee HB User
Neuro is very concerned...

Hello, all. I won't bore anyone with the details of what led up to me seeing a neuro other than I was rushed to the ER from work in December with what was diagnosed there as Vertigo. I was told to follow up with a certain neuro ASAP. I had an appt within 2 days. The neuro was concerned with my sudden onset of Vertigo because I am a female under 40, I have autoimmune thyroid disease and I have a sister who was diagnosed with RRMS in 2009. However, his initial diagnosis was possible labrynthitis as I had recently recovered from pneumonia. He prescribed meclizine and high dose prednisone. I had a follow up appt scheduled with him for the end of January.

In the meantime, I followed his plan of care. During the weeks between my initial visit with him and my follow up, some things that I had been experiencing sporadically over the last several years started happening all at the same time. I had tingling and numbness, which I had earlier contributed to my thyroid disease. I then started waking up several times a night with numbness in many parts of my body (hands, arms, shoulders, legs and back). Re positioning helped, but it would come back, and I would find myself waking up to wake up my parts at least six or seven times a night. I would also wake up with buzzing (if you can call it that) in my head, which I had only experienced when waking during REM in the past. Also, I was getting out of bed in the morning feeling like I had stiff man syndrome: stiff body from the back down, having to take several minutes to stretch out my back and legs before I could actually take a step without muscle or joint pain, although when when I say without, I mean something manageable but painful.

Fast forward to my neuro follow up. It was determined in our discussion and his exam that the vertigo was not gone. So, plan of care was to go on steroids again along with meclizine. During that visit, I let him know what I had been experiencing over the last several weeks and he decided to do a physical neuro exam, of which I failed miserably. What stands out was my positive Romberg. He also concluded I had diminished strength in both hands and arms along with loss of sensation. He ordered MRI of my c spine and nerve testing. MRI was within one week and I have the nerve testing on Valentine's day. His last words to me on that visit were that he was very concerned at that point. Also, he wanted me to follow up with my endo, as Hypothyroidism and MS have some overlapping symptoms, which I did and all of that was fine.

I have seen on here where all of this takes so long sometimes to get tests scheduled and run and interpreted. I am in a daze since all of my testing is going so fast. Had my MRI last Wednesday and haven't called the neuro about it since I will be seeing him on Thursday this week for my nerve tests. Endo tests should be on the neuro's desk by tomorrow evening.

Just feeling a little overwhelmed, as I didn't expect,from what I've seen here, to have such a rush on everything. I am not worried. Whatever happens is what card I am dealt with. I have to deal with it for myself and for my kids.

Is there anyone on here who has been through a similar scenario or something close to it? If so, any input or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Neuro is very concerned....

Welcome.

I would say that based upon that which you shared, you are doing what is needed and you are on your way to getting a diagnosis. It is good that your endo is involved due to your thyroid. I would say that you have made the right decisions and you are moving in a good direction with regards to the diagnostic process.

Speak with your sister and you can also ask here. MS is not fatal and, if you have MS, your case can vary greatly from that of your sister. The heat in Houston in the summer can hammer you hard- I lived in Kingwood for a year. Just take one day at a time. I think that you will find warm and generous support here.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI there. think, what you may be looking for, is reassurance that moving this quickly (and using the words very concerned) doesnt mean this is life threatening or about to result in imminent changes.

Sounds to me like you have a fantastic doctor who isnt wasting time. Read some of the posts on this board and youll learn that some people wait almost a year for similar tests! Youre very lucky. I too, was lucky. My symptoms took me to an ER, where a CT scan was performed -because it showed some abnomalities, I was seen by a neuro who was "oncall" and put into a MRI immediately.

I had a spinal tap the next day, followed by 2 more MRis, and an EMG (nerve conduction test) - I also had a VEP (visual test) because my eyes were doing something unusal and an EEG (to follow the pathways of my brain and reactors). Within 48 hours, I had a MS diagnosis, definitive.

Its not necessarily a bad thing to get all this done so quickly. The waiting is the hardest part and not having to wait months or even years for a dx is a blessing!

Let us know how things turn out and know that we are all pulling for you! Welcome to healthboards..
Nikki

Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
(female)

trisbee HB User

MSJayhawk-Thanks! I have known many people with MS and most of the time, with the right meds and doctors, have seen them all live relatively normal lives. I have only known one person that did not fare so well. She was bedridden for many years before she passed. She did not have the proper care or medications, but I also think she was an unusual case. My sister has been doing a clinical trial out of LSU for a couple of years, but she is now looking for a neuro here in Houston in order to try a DMD. And yes, the heat here is hard to deal with in the summer! But, it is a great place to live and raise a family.

Nikki- Yes I was blessed to find good doctors! Wasn't so much looking for assurance, but amazed at the different level of care I see among people on these boards. I've need poking around here for a couple of weeks and have been really shocked at some of the things people have to put up with when trying to get answers. Thanks for the welcome.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
(female)

trisbee HB User

MSJayhawk-Thanks! I have known many people with MS and most of the time, with the right meds and doctors, have seen them all live relatively normal lives. I have only known one person that did not fare so well. She was bedridden for many years before she passed. She did not have the proper care or medications, but I also think she was an unusual case. My sister has been doing a clinical trial out of LSU for a couple of years, but she is now looking for a neuro here in Houston in order to try a DMD. And yes, the heat here is hard to deal with in the summer! But, it is a great place to live and raise a family.

Nikki- Yes I was blessed to find good doctors! Wasn't so much looking for assurance, but amazed at the different level of care I see among people on these boards. I've been poking around here for a couple of weeks and have been really shocked at some of the things people have to put up with when trying to get answers. Thanks for the welcome.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Houston is a blessing due to the many doctors in the area. I think you should be able to find all of the doctors you need.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Reply Reply