It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
(female)

lisamarie633 HB User
Vitamin D levels

Hi All,

I was wondering if a Vitamin D level of 22 is very low, compared to those of you that have been diagnosed? I have also tried some of the neuro tests, standing with feet together and shutting my eyes, I can't keep my balance to save my life. I had my family do it and all of them could stand still with eyes shut. Walking heel to toe is not something I thrive at either, from what I've read failing these things is not a good thing. I wish my appointment was tomorrow this waiting is really difficult.

I'm interested in hearing from all of you about Vit D levels.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Vitamin D levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamarie633 View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if a Vitamin D level of 22 is very low, compared to those of you that have been diagnosed? I have also tried some of the neuro tests, standing with feet together and shutting my eyes, I can't keep my balance to save my life. I had my family do it and all of them could stand still with eyes shut. Walking heel to toe is not something I thrive at either, from what I've read failing these things is not a good thing. I wish my appointment was tomorrow this waiting is really difficult.

I'm interested in hearing from all of you about Vit D levels.

Thanks again!!
It depends upon the measurement taken. If your measurement was nmol/L then 22 is deficient. If the measure was ng/mL then it is generally considered inadequate for bone and overall health in healthy individuals. I would say; therefore, that it is low and needs to be brought up to a safe range. Your GP can assist with this.

I take D3 1000 iu per day. My D was never deficient, but it was trending to the low side especially during the winter.

Your doctor can prescribe a dosage (prescription strength) followed by an OTC vitamin D3. It might take several months. I had a follow-up 6 months later and I was back in the healthy range.

Vitamin D. is a fat soluble vitamin which is absorbed at variable rates. You might need 2000 iu per day whereas I only need 1000 iu per day. Your ability to absorb an adequate amount can be determined by your doctor. You should not take too much vitamin D because toxicity can be detrimental.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Lisa Marie,
I think you are freaking out! I say this with a smile! I am teasing you!
Youve already got yourself convinced of so many things- this is the anxiety talking and if you werent anxious, something would be wrong with you! However - and this I do mean seriously, try to get it under control before you start psyching yourself into all sorts of illness/ problems.

Vitamin D levels can be measured in nmol/L or ng/ ml. Not knowing which you are referring to, your levels are low either way; however they can change from week to week- and they arent critically low- and if you hadnt had them tested, you wouldnt have even known they were low...so throw this out the window. Yes, low vitamin D levels can cause some symptoms, but not life threatening ones....your doctor will probably tell you to start taking some over the counter supplements. (I take 2000 iu a day). Make sure if you purchase Vitamin D, you get D3, or Calcipherol, which is the most absorbed type, much like sunlight. And spend ten minutes in the sun with your face/ arms exposed each day....it will help.

As for the other tests which you are talking about- they are done simply to see how badly you do on them. Most people CANNOT stand with their feet together and close their eyes without tipping. IT doesnt mean that most people have MS....the heel to toe test is also a double edged sword. Most people cannot do it, but the length of time, or steps you can take before it becomes a problem, can help determine certain things for a neuro. What about the strength tests? The reflex tests? You cant give them to yourself, and these are more important- these will tell a doctor if you are responding normally. This is why Im smiling at your post.....you are now convincing yourself of soo many things being wrong- but in essence they might not be wrong at all. Just because you think you cant do them (and your family cant do them) doesnt mean that all of you arent doing them to a satisfactory level. okay??

Your anxious. Youre supposed to be. It wouldnt be normal if you werent...but you are the exact same person you were a week/ month/ year ago- and long before anyone ever suggested MS or you started looking up symptoms. Try to remember that. Worse case? You join our club...its not a bad club to be in. Best case? You have a vitamin deficiency, which is completely fixable. MS isnt a terrible thing- it takes some adjustments, but it also makes you a heck of alot more aware of your body and your own needs. If you pay attention to this and allow your body to tell you what it needs, you can live with this easily enough.....ive had it for 8+ years. I am a fulltime mom, wife, homemaker- I work 60+ hours a week in sales management. I also am finishing my highest level of education, a doctorate degree in business. And yes, I have MS and have had it through all of this.....

Let yourself sit back and smile today. Your appointment isnt going to change your life instantly. There are so many tests which you will either have to go through, or you will be told arent necessary, that answers probably are not going to be instantaneous, and if you dont allow yourself to "go with the flow" youre going to make yourself sick over this.... try to remember that this isnt the end of the world, that you have US to lean on...that no one gets it better than we do...and that we will be here for you. Youre not alone in this journey, okay?

The other statistic I want to give you is that there are 400 diseases which present like MS. That means you only have a 1:400 chance that it is....okay?
So, dont put the cart before the horse......spend today smiling and telling yourself that no matter what- its going to be okay. Because it is.

Hugs,
Nikki

Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
(female)

lisamarie633 HB User

Thanks Nikki,

Yes I'm in freak out mode, and it's not helping me at all. I'm going to ignore things for while until I go to the Doc, I'm a type A personality and I want answers asap. That just isn't going to happen, so for now I'm going to stay off the computer and live life.

Thanks for the insight!!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Lisa Marie,
thank YOU for understanding that I was teasing you...!!! I certainly wasnt trying to say in any way that what you are are going through wasnt justified. It really is....but I also know that you are reading too much into what you are saying/ reading/ hearing.
You DO need to relax and take it easy, and not allow this to eat you up. Whatever is going to happen, will happen. Dont go through all this stress, when there really is a chance that you are putting yourself through it for nothing.
Im also type A. I understand you better than you think...but trust me on this, all the worrying in the world isnt going to change the outcome- whatever it is. So, dont put yourself through this now. ok??

Hugs to you. be strong. And, I may I suggest a good trashy novel? A comedy movie? A long walk with friends? Anything to take your mind off this!

Nikki

Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

My Vitamin D level was "8" ... so quite a bit lower than yours, whichever the measurement used! Try not to worry!

Reply Reply