It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

mszee HB User
Quick question?

Trying to get an idea of what an LP is similar to. For those women that have had an epidural is it similar? For those who have had Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections is it a similar process? I have had 2 epidurals(was just fine) and 1 epidural steroid injection(that ish HURT). Just trying to figure out to see where I would want to have it done. I don't want the VA sticking anything in my spine.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Quick question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszee View Post
Trying to get an idea of what an LP is similar to. For those women that have had an epidural is it similar? For those who have had Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections is it a similar process? I have had 2 epidurals(was just fine) and 1 epidural steroid injection(that ish HURT). Just trying to figure out to see where I would want to have it done. I don't want the VA sticking anything in my spine.
As a male member of the human species, all I can tell you is that it is different based on the fact that the epidural is used to affect the nerve while the LP is the removal of cerebral spinal fluid which is not the nerve. The doctor goes past the nerve. The LP procedure is similar to the epidural I observed when my wife delivered our boys in that a local is administered prior to the procedure. When you have the LP you will usually lie on your side and draw your legs upward (fetal position) which increases the space between your vertebrae.

The last LP I had in 2002 was painless and it was quick. Relax and breathe normally and follow the doctor's instructions and you should do well.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
mszee (03-01-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User

I took a xanax before hand & had a very good doctor (the one other doctors request). It was not bad at all. Very much like an epidural to me. My fluid dripped extremely slow, so he said I wasn't really at risk for the headache either. I was expecting much worse. I was sore the next day, not bad, as I was giving a baby shower & had no problems with it. You will be fine. Just tell them you don't want a first timer. I did

The Following User Says Thank You to J-one For This Useful Post:
mszee (03-02-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

a LP is nothing like an epidural, because an epidural is a nerve block...it is injecting INTO the spine, in order to block the pain.

A LP is actually withdrawing fluid from the spine.

It doesnt hurt, once you get past the initial novacaine needle; which is a quick *****. The area is so numb, that you will feel nothing at all. It takes only 20 minutes to do the procedure- and as long as you follow your doctors instructions and stay flat all day, youll be fine the next day.

The anxiety of the test is MUCH worse than the test itself!

hope that helps...
Nikki

Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

I just had one yesterday and did fine. It is funny how things are always changing. I was told and read that you would either be standing and bending over a table or would most likely be lying on your side with knees drawn up. Yesterday I was actually lying on my stomach with a pillow under my chin and the table had an end so that my feet were positioned flat against it.. this I found later was because the table was automated so the doctor could tilt it to different degrees so your feet are down to the end and you don't slide.

Like someone else said, my fluid dripped slowly so he had to tilt me more and had me raise my head up a bit but everything went fine. I had no recovery issues other than weakness but they also took 15 vials of blood from me afterwards.

A good day of bed rest, plenty of water to drink and you will be just fine!

Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
(female)

mszee HB User

Thanks all. MSNik I know that they are doing opposite things. I just wanted to know if the process was similar. From the responses I see I should be just fine.

Reply Reply