It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User
Sick days and MS?

Well, I now know why I felt so horrible on Thursday before going for my CT scan I was coming down with a bad virus and have been sick in bed ever since Finally after 3 days I talked to the doctor on call for my GP and he sent me to the ER

Was there several hours yesterday, received IV fluids and meds for diarrhea then sent back home Thankfully I have not have anymore D since then and am just weak Just now starting to eat some jello and applesauce but taking it very slow Now I am wondering if the pain I had been feeling for several days in my abdomen was actually this bug coming on? I still have not heard anything as far as results from the CT scan

Anyway, I am having to watch my blood sugar and not allow it to get too low since I am diabetic and not eating much Other than resting is there anything else I should know and or expect with being this ill and having MS?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Sick days and MS?

Whimpurr,

It is hard to predict how each non-MS illness will affect us or how we should attack the illness. Your having diabetes throws a wrench into the gears. Still, I really think that due to the uniqueness of each MSer combined with other variables, it is impossible to tell you this is what you will deal with each time you get ill. I would track your journey in a journal and put a bookmark on your current illness. You might indeed find a correlation or a cycle which you experience. I had an office assistant who was a diabetic and she was often on bed rest for minor illnesses just due to her condition. There is a little girl at the dojo whose sister is a diabetic. She is constantly in the hospital if she gets a stomach bug because she has trouble holding her food and this in turn affects her blood glucose levels.

I wish I had a crystal ball that could tell you!
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Whimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB UserWhimpurr HB User

Thanks, JayHawk on my tablet so no punctuation sorry I just wondered if there was anything I should know I just think it was weird that I had this unknown abdominal pain about a week prior to finally becoming ill Just wondering if somehow it felt different because of MS

One thing too that i experienced for the first time ever in my life with this virus and it is gross but really need to know if anyone else has experienced this

I already have to strain to have any normal BM but every single time I have severe D I also had to actually strain to get it to come out Does that sound like MS muscular problems?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

I get frequent BM when under stress and this can add to your illness or be part of it. Just being ill brings stress. I have never experienced any muscle problems related to it, however. You might ask your doctor just to be sure. It has been several years since I was hit with any non-MS illness, but when they hit, it is like a land slide. I do have little signals to let me know ahead of time. I take Vitamin C as soon as the signs appear and stop as soon as the signs stop.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Whimpur,
There is a serious virus going around right now which has been on the news every day where I live and it IS a stomache bug. Many people I know have it.

As an MSer, we have compromised immune systems. For some of us, we catch everything that comes down the pike- for others, our immune systems are working so hard to redirect, that we are actually LESS likely to get sick than most people. I havent been sick in 5 years. DId you happen to get the flu shot this year? Just curious. I did; however they are now saying this particular bug may not have been anticipated, or covered in this years shot....so whether you did, or didnt, isnt your fault if you got the flu.
For future reference though, the MS Society highly recommends getting vaccinated (flu shot, pneumonia, etc) each year....

Im sorry you got sick. Obviously you were dehydrated...not uncommon with the flu, but keep your fluids up, stay warm and ride it out. Sounds like you are on the mend at this point.

In my experience your D episode ISNT related to MS- its simply a bad stomache bug.....shouldnt happen again.

Feel better soon!
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Thanks Nikki I did get the flu shot and do every year I didn't think the bug was from MS but was wondering about having to strain to get the D out Do you think that is because of my muscles being affected from MS

Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

No Whimpurr,
I really dont. I think its strictly because of the viral infection you had. Certain Viruses can be really horrible, and it sounds like you got one of the bad ones...the one they are showing in my part of the country is exactly like the symptoms you describe.

I really think this has NOTHING to do with MS. I think when you are healed, you wont experience this again.

I have constipation issues off and on- I take Miralax every day of my life to try to keep it under control. IT doesnt always help the insane stomache cramps that I get, but it does keep me from being backed up 24-7. My pain is so severe its taken me to the ER a few times and causes me to double over in pain regularly....however, I am 100% sure that its not MS related...there have been too many tests on me- too much invasive and noninvasive procedures- it kind of rules out MS related issues...

Hang in there, youll feel better with each passing day...and dont think about it. The worst is behind you.
Nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
No Whimpurr,
I really dont. I think its strictly because of the viral infection you had. Certain Viruses can be really horrible, and it sounds like you got one of the bad ones...the one they are showing in my part of the country is exactly like the symptoms you describe.

I really think this has NOTHING to do with MS. I think when you are healed, you wont experience this again.

I have constipation issues off and on- I take Miralax every day of my life to try to keep it under control. IT doesnt always help the insane stomache cramps that I get, but it does keep me from being backed up 24-7. My pain is so severe its taken me to the ER a few times and causes me to double over in pain regularly....however, I am 100% sure that its not MS related...there have been too many tests on me- too much invasive and noninvasive procedures- it kind of rules out MS related issues...

Hang in there, youll feel better with each passing day...and dont think about it. The worst is behind you.
Nikki
Your last paragraph is what I really need to hear, Nikki! I am so scared still ... afraid to get out of bed, afraid of everything! So afraid it will get bad again. I know I need to have more Faith . GOD HELP ME!!!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Whimpurr,

If you are not able to get out of bed, enjoy the bed. I remember being stuck in bed for nearly 6 months from the seizures. You might start by placing a nice chair next to your bed to which you can easily transfer. My Powerchair is parked next to my bed and I often slide into it to nap. I built my bed so that the mattress and power chair are the same height.

In the mid 90's I was within 48 hours of death due to bacterial pneumonia. Every year since I have had the flu shot. This year the flu mutated and many who had the flu shot were finding that they were hit by the mutated virus. This is the nature of virology.

After 35 years of journeying with MS, I will tell you that the good days far out number the bad days. Tomorrow is never today. Live for today and enjoy today because no one lives in tomorrow (until we invent time travel But though from our perspective they will have traveled to tomorrow, it will still be "today" when they arrive time space conundrums!! )

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Whimpurr (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Thank you JayHawk! I am able ... have just been fearful! I made myself get up and bathe then I knelt beside my bed and prayed earnestly to our Heavenly Father for forgiveness for my weakness and the strength to get up and LIVE the life HE has blessed me with!

I am up and breathing and walking (weak but getting along) and I am disinfecting my house and washing bed linens in an effort to spare my precious husband and caretaker from getting this nasty bug!

Thank you LORD for all of our many blessings!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Whimpurr,

Weakness is not something that requires forgiveness, rather it is a thorn in our flesh. The apostle Paul wrote of his weakness, but the answer he got was that his thorn/weakness would keep him humble! One day we shall be free of our earth suits and all our weaknesses will fade into oblivion.

Just a day at a time. If today is a bad day, have your bad day plan. You got up and bathed. You are blessed! When you think of all the people who in their illnesses are unable to manage a bath, you are blessed. Just to be able to have a bath in which to bathe is a blessing! Already, your cup of blessings is full to the rim!!

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
Whimpurr (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Whimpurr,
I feel your pain in your post...but I want you to remember, its MS- not a death sentence...and although the flu can certainly make you think you are dying- it WILL PASS.

Be grateful that you do not have a terminal illness- that eventually you will feel like yourself again and that MS is nothing more than a hindrance. I know that the first year is scary- I remember it well...and it takes about a year for you to start trusting that every little thing is NOT MS related.....but you will get there...and if posting here and asking questions, or venting, or even praying is what gets you through the scary times- by all means- do so!

You will get through this and in one year, you will look back on your posts and smile. I have said this to hundreds of posters and they all tell me a year after there dx, they remember what I said and they DO SMILE.....its the first year which is the hardest....

Having the flu didnt help any...its a major bummer! But youll get stronger each and every day and by this time next week, youll be back to yourself , if not sooner...
Hang in there....be strong...and remember, this too will pass.

hugs,
Nikki

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
Whimpurr (03-25-2013)
Reply Reply