It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
(female)

maxine23 HB User
Red face Over reacting !

A question to "old hands" with MS. I dont want to insult anyone just pick the brains of those who are experienced with this unpredictable MS.

At what point dont you over react to any new pain or symptom happening to your body. I do realise that not everything should be put down to MS but everytime I experience something new I panic which in itself is not going to help me. I just need to learn a coping strategy otherwise I think I will end up a nervous wreck - any advice?

Maxine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Over reacting !

Maxine,

You are in a sticky wicket as you are dealing within the NHS for which I am not sure of how they handle patient reporting. Nowadays, even after 35 years, I know that I can contact my neuro via her nurse. If my problem warrants sufficient intervention or investigation, my neuro will either have her nurse call me or she will call me herself. The latter has only happened once and that was to send me to an ER for immediate scanning and tests.

I would firstly make sure that I am keeping a journal or record of the problem. Secondly, your doctor might have a policy in place for you to be able to report ongoing problems. Again, as you are within NHS, I am not sure how things are handled or the latitude afforded to your doctor.

As a new symptom appears or pain "rears its head", the first thing I do is to check to see if this something perhaps I triggered. If it is something new, is it just more intense and therefore feels new? For nerve pain, my neuro has told me that she can do very little and the success at attempting to stop the pain is statistically poor. I have learned over the years to use my own remedies for my pain. Over the years I have discovered my own remedies which work for me and each remedy is for a specific pain. I have found that if I start attacking the pain early, it is not as intense and I seem to recover. As I have gained experience, my pain threshold has risen too.

When a new symptom presents, lay aside the panic and implement your plan of action. Perhaps for you it could mean doing 2-3 fewer things for several days until you recover or even having bed rest for 2-3 days if needed. Without observing you or reading your journal, it would be difficult to know. I do know that the good days will outnumber the bad days and that as each cycle begins, there is an end and your symptom "du jour" will be ancient history soon

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
maxine23 (04-26-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
(female)

J-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB UserJ-one HB User

Not old to this at all, less than 1 year dx. But thought I'd give you my input. From month 3-6, I overreacted. Guess I was more like a glass getting new cracks anytime anything happen. New or not. I started thinking "Is this from the MS too". I research, I am a google groupie, we have quite a relationship. Sometimes I found out it was a symptom...then I found out EVERYTHING is a symptom of MS. I pay attention to the situations more. Write a journal of symptoms, the date, what was going on in your life, & how you were feeling. I know I have this & it's not going away, not anytime soon anyway, so I research things that may improve the issues I'm really having. If I write to much or get stressed, my arms go numb, so while studying for tests, I try to take breaks every hour or so, even if it is just 5 minutes. Other things I have come to accept/realize, yes I fall, stumble, & look drunk at times...but I have for the last 12 years (more noticeably in the last 6) & everyone falls sometimes. I can tell days I'm more off balanced, I choose my shoes based on my stability (they are all cute, still on the hunt for the perfect dress shoe, no flat! a wedge or something). Heat is bad for MS, so I can't workout!...Wait! I know I've had this for at least the past 17 years (my research) & I have done Jillian Michaels workouts during that time...So, I plan to start back up in the next week (maybe just not everyday or the whole workout), I will also do yoga & use my ellipitical. I am just learning to take it one day at a time & every time I get an issue, think, Have I ever had this before, how do I feel, what am/was I doing? Google away, in my opinion. Good Luck. I recently found that after I get my kids to school, laying down for an extra hour helps get me going.
I am a wife, mom of 2, college student

I have MS, it does NOT have me!

The Following User Says Thank You to J-one For This Useful Post:
maxine23 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Maxine, its a good question and one that shows that you are really in touch with what you are feeling...a very good start to dealing with this disease.

I tell everyone who I talk to about this subject- give it a year. In the first year, you will get a cold and think its a relapse. Youll feel tired and think its a relapse. Youll get a sore throat and convince yourself you are headed for a relapse. Youll work out too hard, walk too far, or lift heavy boxes and feel fatigued and think its a relapse when the next day your body is protesting in pain..

Its normal to think like you are..

BUT it passes. Youll learn that you can get a sore throat, get a sinus infection- even get a bladder infection- and its just that....not MS. Youll find out that you get tired more easily when you convince yourself of it, but if you continue to work out, eat right and live a normal life, you will do much more than you thought you would be doing.

you dont have to give up anything in your life...but you should listen to your body and give it extra time to recover when necessary. Youll learn this summer to say no to things which are outside in the heat, or cut the day shorter than you would have liked- to protect yourself from too much heat exhaustion. Youll learn that as long as you can jump in a pool- you can hang out all day outside! Youll learn that its ok to take a "you" day and do nothing more than sit on the couch and watch TV/ movie/ read a book. Its ok. You have to give yourself permission.

I just worked a 70 hour week, in 4 days. Drove through 6 states- am learning a new job and managing a new team- Im exhausted. I am also dealing with a family crisis and some household stuff.....Im giving myself permission to have a girly day on Saturday...manicure- pedicure- lunch with a girlfriend, which WILL include a glass of wine! I know Im pushing myself to the limit, but I also know that I can. And, I have MS. Sunday, ill do household stuff and prepare for the next week..and by Monday, Ill be doing it all again. If I happen to wake up achy and sore tomorrow, and I might- I will remind myself that I sat in a car for the past 10 hours- and Im stiff...its NOT MS. If I wake up congested and feeling like my head is going to explode, Ill remind myself its allergies- which I know it is...not MS. Get it?? You stop thinking everything is MS, once you prove to yourself that life doesnt end , or really change all that much, with this diagnosis..

I wish you the best. I happen to think you are handling this amazingly well and you should give yourself a pat on the back....keep doing what you are doing. It gets easier.

Nikki

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
BrainAb (04-26-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
maxine23 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
(female)

maxine23 HB User

Thanks so much for all replies.
I am sure it will get easier to deal with this over time but at the moment I feel my ms prods me to remind me it's there.

Everytime I relax a bit and think I am coping - boom it rears its ugly head! Yesterday was a reasonably better day and today I have woken up with a sore throat so am scared this will provoke a relapse! Why can't I just have a few months peace?

Maxine

Old 04-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Maxine,

3 steps forward and 2 steps back, but it is still progress. Try not to allow the little bumps get in your way. If you have a sore throat, it could simply mean lack of sufficient fluids or a sore throat due to a cold or?? Let the little things roll off of you like water off a duck's back.

"Beating yourself" for the weakness of your body only hurts you. Each day start refreshed and if you have a sore throat, you have a sore throat. If you worry about every little thing, you will rob yourself of the joys of life. Tomorrow is another day. Enjoy a bit of pampering while you rest!

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 04-27-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
maxine23 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
(female)

maxine23 HB User

MSJayhawk you are always so sensible and straightforward with your advice. I realise that getting a sore throat /cold doesn't mean it will automatically lead to a relapse. But I suppose reading too much on the Internet scares one into thinking the worst !

So I will just take it easy for a couple of days and if it gets worse will visit the doctor for some antibiotics

Thanks again for putting things into perspective.

Maxine

Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Maxine,

No worries. On days when I feel a cold signaling its arrival (sore throat, etc.), I will use 3,000 - 5,000 mg of Vitamin C each day (at 3 - 5 intervals) until I feel the illness pass me by and then continue on for 2-3 days afterwards and then I go back to my normal days. Other than my MS, I have not had any colds or illnesses related to my MS for many years. I cannot say this will work for you, but I know it works for me. I have had to change to chewable Vitamin C because of swallowing problems.

I would add that colds, illnesses, etc. are stressors and could potentially provide a gateway towards a relapse. This is another reason I start my Vitamin C regiment. If you are not getting sufficient sleep, this too could delay your immune system's response rate.

Reply Reply