It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
(female)

Casey31 HB User
Freaking out.

Woke up at 4 am like normal but felt an unusual numbness in my right butt cheek, just below and just above. It's progressive spread through my legs and I have very diminished sense of feeling- exactly like novacaine. This has absolutely never happened to me before. And quite frankly is scaring the hell out of me. In trying to calm myself down but that's pretty hard at the moment. Has anyone ever experienced this??? I can walk but I feel heavy and very screwed sense of feeling. From my breast bone down.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Freaking out.

Casey,
This is sounding more and more like a pinched nerve is affecting you. Each time and each way you describe the numbness sounds less like MS and more like something triggered by the way you sit/ sleep.

If you are that afraid, go to the ER. They will do a CT scan on you specifically looking for something like a pinched nerve....or else you are going to have to call your Neuro on Monday and report this and ask for advice.

Anxiety will only make it worse, and even from the title of your post "freaking out" You have to admit you are really anxious. Walk it off if you can....get outside today and do something which will use up some of your energy- but dont sit around and freak out. Its not going to help.

Again, the ER is your only choice if this is really scaring you...I do not think its anything to worry about because you were able to get up and walk- if it was significant, you wouldnt be walking...but I understand your fear. You just have to get it under control...

Try to relax. Drink some herbal tea- and forgetting about it....let us know how you are later.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Casey,

Take a deep breathe and try to enjoy a stress free day. Not to dismiss your numbness, but do not allow it to steal the joy of the blessings you have each day. As with any pain or problem- track it. If it is truly something MS related, it will spend some time with you, but if it is alleviated with some effective stretching, you should be able to dismiss MS. Ask you doctor to take a look and if advised seek the assistance of a physical therapist. Mine was a home health nurse who helped me with specific stretching for my MS. I know symptoms such as your can be scary- they were for me the first time, but you have to be able to lay aside your fears and keep pressing forward. I will lift you in my prayers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

Casey31 HB User

Yes I was freaking out this morning- I think i I hadn't been it would've seemed less normal. I'm goo about talking myself on a ledge and after posting, walking up my husband and sitting in the tub I was less on high anxiety and more onto my next step. I also have no choir but to move and go on with normal day to day. I have three young boys- all if which had baseball for 8-1230. When I'd posted I'd already been up over an hour, moved around and tried different things I thought would help and then spent the day running from one child's game to another- it helps take my mind of the scariness but did not stop the symptom. I still have mosty whole body numbness and I don't have much feeling- I can pinch all I want but not feeling the hurt. It's an extremely weird sensation. I've had back problems for about two years and have suspected certain issues were because of that- my doc said my back would not affect my hands, legs but not hands when I saw him last week. Between today's episode and the leg stuff last week I don't know what to think. I just know something is ridiculously wrong. Especially because its not just these issues. I certainly don't want to have MS or anything else, but something is up and I need to figure it out. I have my new PCP appointment this Wednesday, but am going to find a neurologist and at least get an appointment. I get frustrated because I'm a very active healthy person- I'd like to feel healthy. I'm on here to pick brains, see if anyone has related symptoms and at least try to get more info that way. Feels like less of a wait talking to other people before I get back to the doctor. And I feel like I'm less alone. I think I'll try looking around on some of the boards to find some similar...

Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi Casey,

If someone has MS numbness can be very common. In MS numbness can come and go or be a permanent symptom. MS numbness will not improve simply by changing positions, it is not like when you sit or lay wrong and you cannot 'shake' a body part to get improvement.

I agree with you Casey, numbness is a weird sensation. I have gone numb from the waist down (includes the girlie parts) 3 different times. I can have fingers/hands and toes/feet go numb from time to time.

Unfortunately, back problems can cause neurological symptoms such as numbness.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Casey,

Do let us know how it goes with your doctor. Yes, I think it is good that you check the other boards herein. Hopefully you will find someone who is your "match" and can point you in the right direction. Numbness was one of the reasons I had to switch to hand controls to drive.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
(female)

Casey31 HB User

Thanks guys! ER earlier. No help. No MRI. No nothing really. He offered me pain pills- which I just cannot take- and told me follow up with my doctor even though I can't walk well and the numbness I'm explaining- the upper body stuff- isn't typical back issue symptoms. Lower body of course but above shouldn't be affected... I know my back hurts more than it ever has. Something changed yesterday in it. I've never not been able to get comfortable or walk! But something else is going on. Something is being missed because no one is looking INSIDE my back. Frustrating! Doctor tomorrow. Thanks for listening. I know this isn't where I should post... But just giving an update! Off to check out other experiences. Especially given I'm on bed rest and can't do much else!

Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Casey,

Bed is not fun, but you can still enjoy movies, internet, books, etc. I was bedridden for around 6 months and the first few days can be the most difficult until you set a "normal routine" which can make things flow easier, at least for me this was the case.

In 2002 my neuro had me go to the ER in order to make sure i got an MRI sooner instead of a 6 week wait. Apparently the MRi had slots reserved and the ER had available slots. I am not sure why they did not have an MRI run for you.

Stay strong, together we will get you through this part of your life's journey.

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 05-05-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
(female)

Casey31 HB User

I definitely don't know why it's been a struggle getting an MRI. I think the system is just so out of whack what's on the best interest of the patient is very rarely done nowadays. I have high hopes I will leave my new doctor office with an MRI scheduled. I'm at a point where there is no denying its a necessarily. My back is very out of whack and I'm experiencing major nerve problems. I did however find out today after chasing down my current PCP my vitamin D level is extremely low. They wouldn't for me an exact number but the nurse to me it was under 10!!!!! And I had to beg for this test! After he agreed to add it to my lab he said everyone around here is deficient but I doubt you're bad enough it'd be causing symptoms. And yet here we are. My b levels are also low. Again I wasn't given the numbers but if I don't get them from my new primary care I will get a copy from the lab. So this is a major step in the right direction! I started the 50,000 units one a week this afternoon! So needless to say this and whatever damage is done to my back should sum up my diagnoses. I really appreciate having peop to talk to through this! It's been helpful! It's early and I won't get my hopes up just yet but I definitely think wellness is on the horizon!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Casey,

With your D levels so low, you could very well have your cause. It can take time to recover from your Vitamin D levels. If you have had problems caused by a low vitamin D level, it can take time to recover your proper levels, change to your Vitamin D3 level (as indicated by your doctor), and reverse any side effects.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
(female)

Casey31 HB User

My doctor didn't give me any information at all. I actually had to call for the results. So I'm going to go over it with the new doc. My biggest question is why are my levels so low. I'm in the sun plenty! Everyday definitely. I eat well too. So I'm not sure why I wouldn't be absorbing it! I'm hoping I'll start feeling better soon. I'm glad my appointment is finally today.
I think things like this could be avoided if my doctor had tested me at my last physical. A friend of mine said Vitamin level testing is now supposd to be part of blood drawn annually- I wonder if thats correct. I know I wasn't tested during my physical. But my doctor also didnt think I'd be low. Never mind ridiculously low. He was testing me just to appease me.
Any idea, roughly how long it takes for levels to rise? My mother in law said it took her at least a month to start feeling better. Everyone is different but hoping not too long! So you know what causes malabsorption? I'm just curious....

Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Casey31,

The estimation is about 85 percent of the population is vitamin D deficient. Checking D levels is not part of normal blood tests, you need to ask. My PCP says the majority in his practice has asked to have their D level checked and he has very few who come back low, my neuro was the one who ordered the blood test to check my D3 level.

My D level was 16. I have been taking OTC D3 in a soft gel for about a year and a half to 2 years. My D level is checked about every 6 months and the climb to a higher D level has been slow but steady. As of a few months ago my D level was at 57. It is now in the range my neuro wants.

The benefit I have seen is an increase in my strength and endurance. I feel much better, physically, with my D3 level higher.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

If your vitamin D is that low, mine was 9, then you ask for a prescription for it. I was given 50,000 units twice a week for 2 months. After blood work this week, it is still low, in the 20's, and I have another prescription. I didn't pay attention for the dosage on the new one but it says to take it twice a day. Also low vitamin D will cause a lot of muscle pain anywhere in the body, usually all over. Your tingling stuff sounds like a back problem. I read they won't give you permission to get one, but you need to insist or see another doctor. Good luck

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it sounds like sciatica.....a pinched sciatic nerve.....maybe ice it and see if that helps, or try a chiropractor

Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
(female)

shahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey31 View Post
Woke up at 4 am like normal but felt an unusual numbness in my right butt cheek, just below and just above. It's progressive spread through my legs and I have very diminished sense of feeling- exactly like novacaine. This has absolutely never happened to me before. And quite frankly is scaring the hell out of me. In trying to calm myself down but that's pretty hard at the moment. Has anyone ever experienced this??? I can walk but I feel heavy and very screwed sense of feeling. From my breast bone down.
yeah, most of my problems started one night around 3 am getting up with numb and heavy legs. i felt i m on waterbed. however, i had numbness/tingling in my hands and left upper back for months before that. it is a weird and scary feeling - most of the people i know around haven't experienced numbness! we are unique : D hope yours is just about D deficiency. like you i m still looking for the 'why'.good luck in your search

Last edited by shahila; 05-08-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Reply Reply