It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda953 HB User
Heel Pain

Hi

My right heel, at the bottom of my foot, kills today. I am going to make an uneducated guess and say its because I have been 'babying' my left leg and putting all the pressure on my right foot when I walk. My heel pain was sudden and I've never had problems with my right foot.

Anyone have any ideas as how to avoid hurting yourself when you have a weak leg?

Amanda

Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
(female)

Amanda953 HB User
Re: Heel Pain

Oh - I spoke too soon. The pain is gone.... As quickly as it came.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Amanda,

You are fixed!

I think your uneducated guess was probably spot-on. I get heel pain on occasion, but stretching my achilles helps. I have also had heel pain due to my high arch and a pair of shoes with little arch support.

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

Amanda953 HB User

I am fixed!!! Lol. My warm shower fixed it. It gave me pins and needles in my left foot but I will take that over a sore foot any day!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Amanda,
I think when we are in the state that you are currently in, we become hyperaware of everything that goes on with our body. A sore throat becomes a MS thing, a headache, becomes a new lesion, a bad day becomes a relapse....its easy enough to understand why a sore heel would be "because you were favoring your leg". Its harder to talk yourself out of this.
Instead of focusing on the little things, try taking the positive approach. You can get up and walk to the bathroom? Good day! You can get to the refrigerator to get yourself something to eat/ drink. Awesome! You actually got up and went to work and earned a paycheck - fabulous! (or something equally as important to you- not suggesting that if you dont work you are lacking in anyway! To me, getting to work and earning a paycheck are HUGE in my world!). The point is, if you have little annoyances, and you will- dont let them get you down, but instead stay focused on the positive things around you.

MS is no picnic, but Id rather have MS than 25 other things that I see every day in my work environment. If I concentrate on that, it makes MS look like nothing in the bigger picture.

im glad the hot shower helped and relieved your pain, next time, try ice...see if that doesnt do the trick, and keep you from having the heat related incidences we know accompanies hot showers...

Hugs and better days ahead.
Nikki

Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
(female)

Amanda953 HB User

I like that word - hyperaware. It's true, I question EVERYTHING. a lot of the strange feelings I've had in the last two months I have had before - I just never thought more than: "that's odd" until recently. The feeling of sitting on an ice cube has been with me for over a decade - I remember the first time - it wasn't until recently that I questioned it. I used to feel like I may have tinkled in my pants when I was in hot weather and I would always do a walk of shame to the bathroom to discover that I was dry - I've never shared that one with anyone!!! The strangest one I have had is feeling like I'm sitting on ice when I'm in a bath - it doesn't happen often but instead of "that's really weird" it's "what the heck is wrong with me?"

My point is that there isn't much new going on, I am just questioning everything from a different perspective now.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Exactly. Hyper aware- means just that- being overly aware of everything that we feel and that our bodies are telling us...even when some of it is manufactured out of feelings- which arent always accurate. like your ice story....

Nerves in the body can play many games with our minds...and having MS means you dont always have your signals straight. SOmetimes, the body tells us something which isnt actually happening; while the brain can learn to reroute those signals, sometimes pain, heat, cold, etc- arent always on point.

You kind of learn to live with it after awhile and make the best of it, and some of it does go away over time, while the brain learns to reroute the signals which are misfiring- amazing thing, the brain....

But in the meantime, the best thing to do is think it through- throw out a post here- and ask if anyone else has ever felt what you are feeling. Its a great thing to know you are never really alone in this!

Nikki

Old 07-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Amanda,

If you have RRMS, you may indeed feel that nothing is going on. Some MSers in the early stages go through that which you might be feeling (nothing going on). Some patients will get back to their regular life and forget about getting a diagnosis until suddenly MS sneaks back into their life and they find themselves back starting all over.

If you have MS, nothing might appear to be happening, but that is ok. Just note it in your journal and keep on enjoying your life while you are evaluated. IF there are lesions, those will always be with you. Your symptom journal will serve as an important part of your diagnosis because it will allow the doctor to see things in "real time" as they happened to you.

When you have a "weak leg", as long as you are aware of it, this is good. You might need to increase rest periods so that your good leg does not become exhausted. Keep daily stretching.

Hyperawareness is not a bad thing as long as it is in moderation and is not feeding a cycle of anxiety. Use your "gifts" to your advantage in creating a game plan or strategy. You are going to do well, I think.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
(female)

Amanda953 HB User

I don't like asking direct questions about whether or not anyone here has experienced something - should it be a yes, then it definitely would feed anxiety. I'm not bad with anxiety right now. I'm more hopeful about getting answers right now - whatever those answers are. I don't want to put the cart before the horse here and walk around thinking I have MS. It's a possibility, but it's possible it's something else too, right?

My MRI is scheduled for tonight and my follow up with my neuro is on the 25th. It's all coming together

Old 07-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

Amanda,

I wish you a pleasant journey in the tunnel tonight! I think you have the right attitude and outlook regarding your journey thus far. I certainly hope you get the answers you need and with any luck you can wave good bye to MS in your rear view mirror. If not, well, you can lock MS in the trunk and get on with your journey!!

I look forward to your update and feel free to keep the questions coming!!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
Amanda953 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
(female)

Amanda953 HB User

I keep thinking that it's probably just disc problems in my back or something mechanical (is that the right term?). But wouldn't I have a sore back if that was the case? I can get a sore back, like anyone I suppose, but I'm not plagued by back problems.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

Amanda,

I experience a sore back, too. The worst was when it was due to one sided weakness which placed stress on my strong side and eventually my posture started twisting. I used a pair of forearm crutches for over two years to allow my back to heal and recover. I do much stretching, but I still have back pain. For me, the back pain is related to nerve damage and lesions. You could very well have disc problems or both disc and nerve.

If you can learn a few back stretches, this might help you. The rehab nurse who came to my home worked with me on my stretches. I should think that you would benefit from a similar teacher!

Reply Reply