It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
(female)

dawnies HB User
MS Spasms

Hi everyone, I have had Ms for 10 years now and have had the odd muscle spasm but i have been in agony just lately with what the Docs thought was heart pain, it turns out the pain is actually esophagus spasms and i would love to know if anybody else has had this symptom before? Thanks

Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: MS Spasms

Muscle spasms can be a part of MS, but what did your doctor say about espophogeal spasms and its relation to MS? I cant find any reference to this, although many MSers have problems swallowing.

Normally, drinking ice cold liquids helps - it allows the throat to constrict properly with spasming...have you tried this?

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
(female)

dawnies HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Muscle spasms can be a part of MS, but what did your doctor say about espophogeal spasms and its relation to MS? I cant find any reference to this, although many MSers have problems swallowing.

Normally, drinking ice cold liquids helps - it allows the throat to constrict properly with spasming...have you tried this?

Nikki
Hi there thank you for replying, my Doc didnt really seem that interested to be honest so i just thought i would put it on here and see if anyone knew anything about it. No i have, nt tried the ice cold water bur i will give it a go. Thanks

Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi dawnies,

I have not experienced esophagus spasms but as we know MS can cause spasms just about any place :-(

Do you use medication(s) for spasms? They might help.

Take care...

Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
(female)

dawnies HB User
Smile Re: MS Spasms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy61 View Post
Hi dawnies,

I have not experienced esophagus spasms but as we know MS can cause spasms just about any place :-(

Do you use medication(s) for spasms? They might help.

Take care...
Hi, I have got some gel to drink after every meal and anti spasm tablets if it gets really bad and i have to admit that they both help but i had never heard of it before so thought i would see if anybody else had.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
(female)

deb1125 HB Userdeb1125 HB User

I have been suffering from esophageal spasms for 18 years. OMG they are so painful and as scary as a heart attack. My gastro gives me a prescription of hyoscamine and when I feel one coming on, I put one under my tongue and it dissipates faster

Old 07-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnies View Post
i had never heard of it before so thought i would see if anybody else had.
I have heard of MS causing esophagus spasms I just have not had any personal experience with it.

Quote:
Hi, I have got some gel to drink after every meal and anti spasm tablets if it gets really bad and i have to admit that they both help
Glad to hear you are getting some relief.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
(female)

Nikki, I just replied about esophageal spasms and read your reply. Over the 18 years I have had them, a few have been brought on by drinking something cold. I have been told not to drink very cold liquids and not to drink fast either

Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Thats interesting....and whether or not its one doctors opinion vs another- who knows? But I have a close friend with MS who gets spasms in her throat, and has ALWAYS been told to drink ice cold drinks to calm down the throat...its like numbing it...
I actually was with her when she went to her last neuro appointment, because I wanted to meet her neurologist- and heard him tell her to remember "always drink ice cold water while eating, so she doesnt get spasms and choke".

Nikki

Old 07-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
(female)

Maybe it is where the spasms are? My esophageal spasms are right in the middle below the breast bone and the spasms radiate to my back and are so painful. sometimes probably because i am freaking out, I throw up too..lol but it is like a wave that lasts about 15 min to 1/2 hour

Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Dawnies,

I have esophagus spasms, but they are not as often as my choking. While I still have them, the only thing I have found is ice cold drinks. This stops everything and on bad days allows me to eat. As Deb has pointed out, there are differing opinions. As we are all unique creations, what works for one person may be horrible for another.

My neuro sent me for tests as she thought it might have been acid reflux, but there were no signs. She has chalked it up to my MS.

At night I can develop swallowing issues too. I sleep on a slight incline and this allows me to sleep without choking. If I roll off this incline, I start coughing and choking and I usually get awakened by my two service dogs (my nurses ). I keep some ice water next to my bed and this will allow me to stop the coughing and choking.

Lastly, I have found that there are some foods which can also trigger the spasms. A few of the foods I can still eat, though they have to be prepared differently. Other foods I have simply had to eliminate from my diet. Keeping a symptom journal might help you pinpoint any food related triggers.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb1125 View Post
Maybe it is where the spasms are? My esophageal spasms are right in the middle below the breast bone and the spasms radiate to my back and are so painful. sometimes probably because i am freaking out, I throw up too..lol but it is like a wave that lasts about 15 min to 1/2 hour
For you it could be. I have thrown up too, especially after an extended time.
Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Reply Reply