It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
(male)

josue2434 HB User
how to exercise when i have FSH MD

how to exercise when i have FSH MD and is a high protein diet good to try?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: how to exercise when i have FSH MD

Hello josue2434,

Exercise is important, but never overdo it! You do not want to break down muscle that can't be replaced. Weightlifters purposely break down muscles and their bodies react by making even more than they had. But this won't work in our case because we have muscular dystrophy. Our bodies just can't make enough or even ANY new muscle tissue. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST but most likely he will recommend light exercise like lifting 3-5 pound weights and walking a little if you still can.

A high protein diet would not hurt but a balanced diet is important. Again talk to your doctor since I'm not one and I don't want to give you bad advice. He knows your case better than I do. Good luck to you,

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
(female)

btdz453 HB User

Hi Mark:
I read your thread, and noticed that you are around the same age asmyself. I am a 45yr old female, and have had symptoms of FSH MD since I was 24 yrs old. I know have limited mobility due to leg muscles being affected in the last 11yrs. I can still most things with my upper body,but have limitations there too.I do understand about watching what you do in order to avoid discomfort as a result.
How long have you been affected by FSH MD.If you do not mind, what are your abilities now,I am trying to determine if I am progressing as per norm.
Do you also have abd.muscle weakness too?As after having 3 children I have no abd. muscle anymore.
Thanks btdz453

Old 10-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

Hi btdz453,

Actually I have Limb-Girdle (LGMD). However, I was originally diagnosed with FSH because of my unusual symptoms. My shoulders are somewhat week, but not nearly as much as my legs and mid-section. The misdiagnosis was made by a general neurologist (who specializes in Multiple Sclerosis). After I went to MDA clinic and talked to the Muscular Dystrophy doctors I was re-diagnosed with LGMD....but an unknown kind. The FSH test result came back "Most likely not FSH". We're still trying to pinpoint just what type of MD I have.

I like checking ALL of the threads and offering advice whenever I can. I've spent 5 years doing a LOT of research hoping to help out with my own diagnosis.

Stair climbing and low seats are my biggest obstacles. My arms and hands are much less affected.....almost unaffected. I can lift 20 pounds over my head.

Yes, our symptoms sound very similar. Have you been genetically tested for FSH?

Best of luck,

Mark

Closed Thread