It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

SHANTACLARE61 HB User
Has anyone tried swimming for exercise?

The P.T. told me swimming is a good exercise for people with MD. BUT, not to over do it.--3 times a week for 10 minutes---well it took me 30 mins. to get there ,change, and get into the water. I stayed in the water (just walking) for about 30 more mins. got out, dressed, came home and collapsed for about 3 hours. I haven't been back but if someone tells me, someone from here that is, tells me how much good this does I'll try it again. Also , the only time I feel good ,is if I take advil around the clock. I'm feeling overwhelmed and depressed lately. I have an 8 & 10 year old my oldest daughter got engaged at Christmas. I should be happy but I just don't know how I'm going to do it all sometimes. I can sense my husbands frustration of having to pick up the slack and that makes me feel real bad. He also thinks I should "exercise" and then I'll feel better. What do you all do? Thanks, Mary

Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
(female)

Madalot HB User
Re: Has anyone tried swimming for exercise?

Hi Mary --

Yes, I tried swimming for a while as well. Like you, I had a 30 minute drive to get there, get changed, etc. The YMCA pool had stair access, but the steps were very small with good railings so I could use them. However, while I believe the pool DID help, it was too easy to overdo it. I was usually okay until I decided to get out of the pool. I would make it out, but could barely walk to get to the changing room. Even if I only stayed in the water a short time, I had a horrible time once I was out. And I usually paid dearly for the effort once I was home. I gave it up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
(female)

nodakr144 HB User

I have tried swimming as well, specifically water aerobics. The place I went to had a ramp, which made it very easy to get in and out of pool. The class typically lasted an hour, which was a bit too long for me as time went on. I had to modify the routine a bit to fit my abilities, but when finished, I, too, had a difficult time walking back to the changing room afterwards. My legs after an hour would feel like Jell-o, though it didn't take me too long to bounce back afterwards. Most recently I tried water aerobics again, but for a more compressed time, about a 1/2 hour. After I didn't feel nearly as tired as I did when taking an hour long class. Overall, I did feel that it was helpful.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I think I mentioned in another post about swimming. I have felt for a long time that I feel better swimming lengths (front crawl) with my arms and a float in between my legs. I can go as fast like this as when I don't use the float and use my legs instead. I just can't get the power from my legs like I used to. It is less tiring during and afterwards. Just another oddity I have noted but no diagnosis of anything yet. I will see my family doctor next week and will ask more questions then.

I still have the awful heavy feeling today. I do see that some of you took a long time to figure out the problem. I am still hoping that it is all thyroid related. Shantaclare, I see that you have been having thyroid issues as well. Did your thyroid issues start "after" your diagnoses?

Does anyone else have positive TPO and TG antibodies? (Or is that only a thyroid thing? Maybe they are linked to other diseases? I will have to look into that but sorry for getting off topic.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
(female)

SHANTACLARE61 HB User

Hi Hoppy, To answer your thyroid question, it will be a year in Feb. that I had my biopsy and MD diagnosis. I just found out that I have hypothyroid 4 weeks ago. Apparently your thyroid can be responsible for alot of things, I'm not sure of what exactly because this is new to me. But from what I have learned about MD, you really should see a neurologist or an MD doctor according to your symptoms. P.S. I also have a strange feeling in my thighs, its so hard to explain though--- its like a cold burning all at once like when I was kid running on a soccer field in cold weather. I hope you get some answers soon. Mary

Old 01-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Thank you Mary. I will ask my family doctor what she thinks when I go this week. If I can even convince her to give me the OK for a CK blood test I guess that would be a start. Although I see from doing some reading that sometimes that test comes back normal which would put me back at the starting line. Do you use a cane or any other assistive devices at this point? (I hope you don't mind me asking ) There are days when I would just love to be able to use a cane but my family would truly believe I had gone bonkers!! They probably already think that! It just seems my whole body gets SO TIRED SO FAST!

It seems that a lot of you waited YEARS to even question a diagnoses of any kind. I may have to wait YEARS to have anyone listen to me seriously. For those who felt something MANY years before diagnosis, did you ever question it with a doctor and what kind of a response did you get. I would love to know before I go to the doctor this week. Thank you again, Hoppy

Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
(female)

SHANTACLARE61 HB User

Hi Hoppy, I know what you mean about people thinking your "bonkers". Certain people including some family members just can't comprehend. I remember some of the comments..."just push up with your feet!"..."why are you always the last one?"..."it's not that bad,Is it?"...here's my favorite--"oh come on Mary, you can do it!". I'm sorry your going through this, just remember your not alone. This forum has been like a good freind to me. Ican't talk about this stuff with anyone else and have them understand like the people on here do. to answer your question..Fortunately I do not need any walking aids at this point. More and more I feel off balance when I walk so I just walk very conciously and carefully and of course I hate steps. I get tired pretty early and sometimes evening chores don't get done until morning. This is just a matter of learning how to pace myself. Sounds like I'm rambling now so I'll talk with you later. Hope you get some answers soon. Mary

Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User

Hello,

I have had amazing results from working out in a pool that is heated to 93 degrees. I spend two hours in the pool every morning. The program was put together for me by a physical therapist. I start by walking forwards, backwards, and sideways five minutes each. After that I "row" using a rubber band attached to the side of the pool. I do leg raises and hamstring curls, work my biceps and triceps with foam weights and water bottles. "march" in place, go to the deep end where I work my abs, my inner thighs, and "ride" a bicycle. In addition to that they bought me a mini step that I use to practice walking on steps. I went from hanging on for dear life on the step, to be able to step up and down on it for 50 times on each leg without holding on to anything. (I do other things too, but don't want to bore you). My core muscles have become much stronger, and my posture has improved tremendously. When I leave I do not feel tired, but energized, all the little aches and pains are gone, and I walk at twice the speed I did when getting there.

Most nights or mornings I ride my recumbent exercise bike at home, and I also do some ab exercieses on a bean.

My neurologist told me that as long as I keep feeling energized from what I do there is no need to slow down, he said that my body will let me know when I have done to much.

My endurance is great I move slowly, but can be on my feet all day if I have to. I have started taking creatine, and can feel a significant improvement in my strength. In addition to that I also take Co-Q10 (about 400 MG), L-Carnitine (2g), protandim, and about 750 mg of green tea a day. In addition to that I am a very healthy eater, as I think that the less "junk" you have in your body the less your muscles will need to fight. I take the protandim and the green tea for antioxidative purposes, just to keep my body clean. The Co-Q10 and L-Carnitine just gives me energy I think (I am not sure what they do, but I feel better when I take them).

Sorry for the lengthy email, but I just wanted to share my positive experiences with you!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
(female)

SHANTACLARE61 HB User

NP74 , Wow you sure seem to be doing great. Have you always been a daily exercise person? What type of MD do you have, and how old are you? I just bought myself some CoQ10 to see if it will help me I don't know about the L-carnatine you mentioned but i will look into it. Thanks for the reply, Mary Nevermind I just looked up your old posts.

Last edited by SHANTACLARE61; 01-14-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
(female)

sarahJ74 HB User

I'm going to go back to the swimming topic

I have been swimming a lot the past couple of years because I find it is the easiest most satisfying exercise! Walking was making me too fatiqued and I felt like just my legs were getting worked and too much. Swimming is much more of a total body exercise not to mention that I LOVE to be in the water.
It is just thrilling to be able to MOVE and run and jump and feel weightless in the water!!!! I wish I could live in the water
BUT I have found it is so much easier to overdo it in the water. I just have to not do too much.
After an hour of water aerobics I have to take a long nap and don't feel like going back to the pool for a week. If I take it easy I can go much more often.
I'm also finding that it is harder to get out of the pool. The steps are steep at the gym where I go. I don't know what I'll do when I find it too difficult to get out.

Mary your post about what people say hit home!!!
I remember trying to waterski - before I knew what was wrong of course - and my friends yelling at me from the boat - "NOW JUST PUSH UP WITH YOUR LEGS!" yeah right. hee heee. Needless to say, I never got up on skiis.
I am blessed to have so many around who understand and are very polite about it.

Closed Thread