It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
(female)

Madalot HB User
Weak or Tired

I know this may seem silly and stupid to some, but I'm just curious if anyone else sometimes has trouble differentiating between feeling weak (which we all do) and being fatigued/tired.

My neurologist one time asked me if I was weak or was I tired. My response was that trying to function through the weakness exhausted me and that seemed to make perfect sense to him.

I was just wondering if anyone else sometimes questions whether they're so weak on a particular day or just more tired.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: Weak or Tired

Kathy, I think I know exactly what you mean. I'm ALWAYS weak but I have days when I'm tired on top of that. I can hardly get around as it is but on those "tired" days it's downright near-impossible. And it seems I get tired much easier. I can go to bed at 10 or 10:30 these days. I feel this mix of sleepy and physical exhaustion probably 3 or 4 nights a weak. I feel awful "old" for 47!
Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

There is something else I've noticed lately. Confidence. Some days I have it some days I don't. A few days ago I was waddling down the driveway to my car. I got halfway between the house and the car and just froze! I was terrified to lift either foot. The next day I walked to the car no problem. This terror hits me about once a week now. It takes all my will power not to let it take hold or I'll be afraid to go out at all. I guess my confidence is inversely proportional to my tiredness.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
(female)

kew17 HB User

Hello Kathy & Mark & everyone!
I guess I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired. I think I may be slipping into a bit of depression. Lots of reasons. But I feel soooo tired all the time. When I do lay down, I can't sleep. My mind is on duty 24/7, but the body hasn't kept up for a long time now. I must say that when there is an event, such as I had a long time friend that I haven't seen in years stop in and spend the day last week. And the weekend before that my Mother-in-Law and nephew came to visit for the weekend. I'm still paying for that. Just pure exhaustion! Mind you, my nephew is 4, so that would exhaust an able bodied person, but I just can't seem to keep up anymore. I lay down alot more than ever before. It just makes me more tired though. Thanks for listening, I'm tired now. lol
Kelley

Old 07-19-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
(female)

Madalot HB User
Smile Re: Weak or Tired

Hey Mark & Kelley!!

I'll tell you something, Mark -- on the confidence issue -- that ship has sailed!! Like you, I sometimes find myself stopped dead in my tracks, terrified to pick up one foot for fear the other leg will give out and I'll go down. I so much prefer my chair because I just feel safer, but it's such a pain to transport and right now, we just can't afford to purchase a vehicle. The rollator is a pretty good alternative, but using that exhausts me, but at least I feel safer since it supports me. But my weakness has increased to where I can barely get my rollator in and out of my vehicle without help. So, going places by myself is becoming more and more difficult.

Kelley -- boy, have I said that myself -- I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. And that's one of the problems I have a lot -- distinguishing between whether I'm weak (always am) or tired or a combination of both.

I guess this is a good thread for all of us to vent in. I hope everyone has a rested day.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

COLOGAL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalot View Post
I know this may seem silly and stupid to some, but I'm just curious if anyone else sometimes has trouble differentiating between feeling weak (which we all do) and being fatigued/tired.

My neurologist one time asked me if I was weak or was I tired. My response was that trying to function through the weakness exhausted me and that seemed to make perfect sense to him.

I was just wondering if anyone else sometimes questions whether they're so weak on a particular day or just more tired.
I AM TRYING TO DEAL WITH WEAKNESS, FATIGUE AND PAIN. SOME DAYS ITS JUST ONE PROBLEM SOME DAYS TWO ON BAD DAYS ALL THREE. ON THE DAYS I'M WELL RESTED BUT FEEL WEAK, ITS LIKE THE FLU WITHOUT ALL THE OTHER SYMTOMS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE ITS TO HARD TO LIFT A GLASS TO YOUR MOUTH OR FEED YOURSELF BECAUSE YOUR JUST TO WEAK? I GET LOWER BACK PAIN (POSSIBLY HIP AREA, I CAN'T REALLY TELL) WHEN I'VE BEEN UPRIGHT (SITTING OR STANDING) TO LONG. IT FEELS LIKE THE WEIGHT OF MY TORSO IS TO HEAVY FOR MY HIP/BACK TO SUPPORT. LYING DOWN OR RECLINING HELPS. SOMEDAYS I'M JUST TIRED, DON'T KNOW WHY I'M SO EXHAUSTED, I JUST AM. SOMETIMES IT HITS WITH OUT WARNING. I'LL BE IN THE BACK OF A GROCERY STORE AND IT HITS. I WONDER HOW I'M GOING TO FINISH, CHECK OUT AND GET THE GROCERIES TO MY CAR. I CAN'T BRING MYSELF TO ASK FOR HELP OUT BECAUSE EXCEPT FOR MY LIMP, I LOOK "NORMAL" AND AM STRUGGLING WITH THE WHOLE "I NEED HELP" THING. MAYBE I SHOULD WEAR A WRIST BRACE ( EVEN THOUGH I DON'T HAVE WRIST PROBLEMS) OR SOMETHING JUST SO IT WOULD BE EASIER TO EXCEPT HELP. I'VE GOTTEN SO USE TO BLAMING MY LIMP ON A "BAD KNEE". SOME TIMES LYING IS EASIER THEN EXPLAINING FOR ME. SORRY, I DIGRESS.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
(female)

dkbladez HB User
Unhappy Re: Weak or Tired

Hello all,
This has been an exceptionally hard week for me. I'm just feeling out of it. I had a little spill the other day and I just cant get over it. I dont have energy to do anything. Everything wears me out and now I have to go to the doctor tomorrow and now the anxiety hits me. I mean it is so hard just getting out the house, I rather stay in. Mentally it is so draining and sometimes I feel like I'm getting to end of my rope. I hate to pessimistic but its like if it is this hard now, how will it be in another year? I'm trying to stay positive but it is so hard.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbladez View Post
Hello all,
This has been an exceptionally hard week for me. I'm just feeling out of it. I had a little spill the other day and I just cant get over it. I dont have energy to do anything. Everything wears me out and now I have to go to the doctor tomorrow and now the anxiety hits me. I mean it is so hard just getting out the house, I rather stay in. Mentally it is so draining and sometimes I feel like I'm getting to end of my rope. I hate to pessimistic but its like if it is this hard now, how will it be in another year? I'm trying to stay positive but it is so hard.
HANG IN THERE DK' ! - I have strings of bad days or a bad week now and then when it seems nobody else really understands and "what am I going to do in 6 months?!" It will pass, I hope. Good luck getting out to your appointment. I went to MDA clinic this week. It was tough (I go by myself) but my MDA doctor always leaves me feeling more optimistic. PS - You've been a big inspiration to a lot of us. You're one of my first "buddies" on this board. Keep posting and vent all you want.

COLOGAYLE: boy does that sound familiar. People used to say to me, early on in my syptoms, "what happened? Did you hurt your knee or somrthing". Both coworkers and complete strangers on the street. I'd reply, "Yea, it bothers me now and then". That was WAY easier then getting them all bummed out with "No, I have Muscular Dystrophy". Finally I just emailed my whole company one day and let tham all know......150 people. It was tough but within 1 or 2 days everyone knew and understood. It took a huge weight off my shoulders. I couldn't hide it anymore.

Mark

Old 09-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
(female)

dkbladez HB User
Smile Re: Weak or Tired

Hello All,
Well my doctor's appointment went well. I decided to take the medical van to my appointment and I am sold. I never wanted to try it. But if you have the program in your area, you should try it. I was able to take my power chair and I didn't have to worry about jumping in the car and getting in and out of my manual chair. It was wonderful, I will take it to all my appointments now.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
(female)

peachiemom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigani View Post
There is something else I've noticed lately. Confidence. Some days I have it some days I don't. A few days ago I was waddling down the driveway to my car. I got halfway between the house and the car and just froze! I was terrified to lift either foot. The next day I walked to the car no problem. This terror hits me about once a week now. It takes all my will power not to let it take hold or I'll be afraid to go out at all. I guess my confidence is inversely proportional to my tiredness.
I have felt that feeling several times back when I was walking. Do I feel like getting a strawberry on the forehead or do I think I can make it? Mine was accompanied by a cold sweat. 9 times out of 10 if I didn't go for it I jacked around and fell.
Jodie

Last edited by peachiemom; 12-01-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
(female)

MMG1 HB User

I guess im not the only one! Sometimes i cannot differentiate between actual weakness and if its "just in my head" or fatigue. It is hard to explain it to others but i think i get more understanding from all of you here and i dont feel crazy. I guess if we are not confident in the next step, then we might fall. I feel like i am constantly thinking about walking rather than it being a natural action and when i dont, i fall. So i guess its, not as bad, just tiresome.

Closed Thread